The Tissu-Pak Oil Filter, Henderize, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up an interesting old filter today. The body, top cover and the large wing nut that secures it are die cast pot metal or cast alu. Cover is marked "Tissu-Pak Oil Filter Pat. Pend. Henderize, Inc. Sacramento,CA."

I can't find any photos of the unit online, only a few mentions of "Henderize Inc., 5667 Freeport Blvd., Sacramento" dating to the early 1950s.

The owner or principal in the company was Ray D. Henderson, who may have been the same Ray Henderson who was a Packard dealer at 401 Jay St., Colusa, CA, around the same time.

Mr. Henderson was a pretty inventive fellow with various automotive surface spray treatments, polishes, this filter and the "Mechanical-Cop portable traffic signal".

The body measures 4 & 3/4" dia. and 4.5" deep. The walls are just over 5/32" thick. Inlet and outlet are both about 1/32"

I'll add some photos later.

Last edited:
I think others call them 'sock filters" pretty cool. Post a pic! Probably would work on my 54 Plymouth.

i saw a unit like that one but used cotton winding. but using toilet paper is something i have talked about here before and got flamed badly. TP is water soluble and for every gal of gas you burn you make all most a gal of water. but if it doesnt get into the oil you will be ok. BUT many people have used the Franz filter fine. fram did have a c-3p filter that filters down to 2 microns. and uses a real filter. i might have the number off a little but its close. but you might adapt a reg filter to the henderson. but that is a real cool find for sure.

I remember as a 5 year old helping dad change the oil in the family vehicle and he had me bring him a new role of toilet paper which he put into a canister for the oil filter.

Thanks for bring up fond memories.

Sorry it took so long! Here are the photos. The only info I could find was "Ray D. Henderson Co., 401 Jay St. Colusa, CA." and "5667 Freeport Blvd. Sacramento, CA". Long gone now of course.

We had the dealer install a by pass filter on our NEW 1955 Chevrolet inline 6. Called for a sock type filter, no toilet paper. There was not provision for a spin-on filter. The 265 cubic inch may have had provisions for a full flow filter

How standard is the composition of the tissue? There endless arguements regarding filter element quality on here.

Yes, jumbo rolls, Charmin, Scott 1000 sheet, or generic Soft and Strong from Walmart.

Use the wrong one and your car could develop a red, ugly rash around its tailpipe.

But seriously, with the advent of the "new" crop of cartridge style filters, I wonder if something is currently being made that would be dimensionally compatible with the Tissu-Pack unit.

If you're looking for some kind of "standardized" tissue roll, you might look at the Motorguard elements. They were originally intended as a bypass filter for engine oil, but now their business focuses solely on compressed air filtering (for paint shops, etc).

While they're sized to fit the Motorguard housings, they should fit just fine in a Frantz or other TP housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back