New Pennzoil Website Updates, TDSheets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting things at pennzoil.com
Pennzoil Platinum Ultra is now dexos1 (again after an absence) and the Ultra's NOACK shot upward from 7 to 11, not good.
Pennzoil Platinum lists a new Euro 5w-30 and 0w-40, LL-01, MB 229, Porsche A40 category, which I guess is what the BMW dealerships will start to get now that Castrol is on the way out.

In the Noack test, perhaps, but in ordinary use? I'm one of those who "like" to see a low Noack score. Nonetheless, I haven't seen a dramatic decrease in oil consumption by going from the 25% Noack oils of yesteryear to what we have today, generally speaking. I had taxis consume essentially no oil over 6,000 mile OCIs with oil with Noack through the roof.

Its not like PYB evaporates while you pour it in your motor. If worried about pureplus' volatility, use the Platinum 10w30 it have a noack of 4.7 i belive, very good.

There is a real aversion towards that flavor by many here, 'it's obsolete.' That's what I'd use though.

What's the NOACK number of Acetone come to ? Anybody know ?
grin2.gif

Just from the info on the site there doesn't seem to be enough difference in PU and PP to make PU worth going out and looking for or paying an extra dime for.
I can see this PU having a very short life on the retail shelf and being blown out at fire sale prices within the year.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I can see this PU having a very short life on the retail shelf and being blown out at fire sale prices within the year.

Yep, they're going to need to differentiate the product levels. M1 has a 10,000 mile and a 15,000 mile version. Castrol seems to have learned a similar lesson. Pennzoil simply has an expensive version and a more expensive version.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What's the NOACK number of Acetone come to ? Anybody know ?

You run the test in person and get back to us.

That test doesn't require the use of a heating element or an open flame does it ?
grin2.gif

There are MSDS sheets on a Pennzoil CVT fluid, that would be interesting. Current Nissan CVT is like $40 a quart!

Here is a previous post:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3344526/Re:_Pennzoil_Platinum_CVT-2#Post3344526

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Trav

Yep, they're going to need to differentiate the product levels. M1 has a 10,000 mile and a 15,000 mile version. Castrol seems to have learned a similar lesson. Pennzoil simply has an expensive version and a more expensive version.

Yes and they need to get their product out there. All of the stores around here are FULL of M1 in every flavor. M1 0w20 EP is already everywhere, just like that. I found out about it last month and this month all the stores are full of it. I've been reading about Pennzoil 0w20 for years and the only place I have ever seen it is at a Walmart about 45 minutes away, and they are usually out of stock according to the website.

Well now that I have a vehicle that calls for 0w20, guess what I'll be buying, M1 because it is available. Honestly I'd rather try the Pennzoil but not going to drive around and hunt for it.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Pennzoil Platinum lists a new Euro 5w-30 and 0w-40,

Yeah, they seem to have 3 categories: Euro, Euro L, Euro AV.

What's AV?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

What's AV?

AntiVirus?

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

What's AV?

At first I thought "Aviation", for continental and lycoming engines, just assuming. The Euro L is still to be avoided in the U.S. because of fuel differences here, but the Euro 5w-30 LL-01 is new.

Last edited:
Boy I am going to need a REAL good reason to not collect all the Platinum 10w-30 I can. The stuff looks like it would pump cold, low Noack, high flashpoint, unless I do cold starts at -30F what would I need anything else for year round?

Originally Posted By: RGR
Boy I am going to need a REAL good reason to not collect all the Platinum 10w-30 I can. The stuff looks like it would pump cold, low Noack, high flashpoint, unless I do cold starts at -30F what would I need anything else for year round?

I live near Denver too. Gets too cold here. Go with a 0w-20 or 0w-30 synthetic here. Any cold starts outdoors in the morning gets 0w-20 with me here,( a garaged 11 Camaro with direct injection gets 5w-30 dexos1.)

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
NOACK going from 7 to 11 means it evaporates easier, correct ?

Right. Noack is a % representing the reduction in weight via evaportation of a sample under high heat for a specified time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back