2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0L with CVT trans. reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzu

I recently posted my wife totaled her '05 Chrysler 300 in an accident that left her okay afterwards. She picked out a '09 Sentra with the CVT transmission as her next car. I know nothing about Nissans, but mostly about Chevys and Toyotas. Nissan is really the only car manufacturer that I hear do CVT's. Any words of advice since she already bought it and picks it up on Monday? 33,500 miles on it and $10,500 out the door. It sounds like a good deal, but?? She did no research on this car but liked how it looked. Do they have OLM and are they durable like Honda and Toyota? Oh well, too late now because it's coming here. Thanks all.

Not sure with the OLM, but if I am not mistaken, I think Nissan recommends either 5k or 6k mile intervals. May be wrong but either way, 6k especially on synthetic or even a blend is no problem. I do 7,500K on motorcraft synthetic blend and it still shows life left.

The 2.0 is less reliable than the 2.5, not sure which engine it has. As others have said MOST of the CVT issues were ironed out by this year BUT they still exist. If your wife is happy with this car then great! Just keep up on the maintenance, long term reliability will be mediocre at best. Dont take my word for it, check out the reviews.

If you need to replace the CVT fluid, I would recommend you DIY if possible, and if it isn't possible, go to the dealer. I wouldn't be too surprised if many independent shops would either use the wrong fluid, or put the new fluid in a machine that always had regular red ATF in it, and leave you with a certain amount of it in your car. I don't know if your CVT would have a replaceable filter or not, so I would suggest you look into it.

I would look into when the first change of the CVT fluid is/was due. I don't know for sure but I would not be surprised if it was due at 30K. And if it is/was due the dealer should have done it before selling the vehicle, but some dealers may try to get by without doing the CVT fluid if it was due. CVT fluid change is not cheap, so look into when it is due and if it was done?

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I would look into when the first change of the CVT fluid is/was due. I don't know for sure but I would not be surprised if it was due at 30K. And if it is/was due the dealer should have done it before selling the vehicle, but some dealers may try to get by without doing the CVT fluid if it was due. CVT fluid change is not cheap, so look into when it is due and if it was done?

Blackhawks just lost in triple OT and I'm out of beer so bear with me. My wife has 08 sentra with 2.0, cvt. Dealer wouldn't change fluid until 50k. No dip stick either. You can buy the nissan cvt fluid online and bring it to a shop. It was much cheaper when prcing it out as it's about time to be done at 47k.

My wife's '09 has been trouble free, has over 106k on it. We change the CVT fluid every 35k, in fact it is 1000 miles overdue, I plan to take care of it this weekend. We Always Use Eneos CVT fluid. Holds 4.2 quarts.

So do you do a drain and refill? I thought Nissan used a machine? Glad to hear so many of you have had success with your CVTs, they are generally hated on this site! Still love how it drives. Almost hate when I am driving my car and feel the shifts now.

ref

Drain and fill, and it has a drain plug already. Some Altimas have the exact same trans pan, but there is no plug installed, pan has to come down. Takes no longer than an oil change.

My aunt had a 2008 sentra with the 2.0. It was a POS. 2 CVT replacements. 1st one at 66k miles, second one at 112k miles, both covered under warranty. She was very religious about her car maintenance and got everything done at the dealer on time. She limped the (dying, clattery) engine into a Hyundia dealer last month and bought a 2014 Elentra.

Our 2011 Altima with the 2.5 and CVT has been trouble free so far. 71k miles. I haven't even changed the CVT fluid yet. Some on the nissan forums have 100k miles and still haven't changed the fluid and are without problems. I called the dealer yesterday and was quoted $159 for CVT fluid change. Will probably get it done soon.

Good luck with your purchase. We have liked our Nissan, it's smooth and gets good mpg.

My initial response to driving her "new" car a few times was okay. It seems like it picks up speed quickly until 25mph and then bogs down until 35mph and then the speed climbs pretty quickly again. It rattles a little when taking off. It shows about 34mpg on the readout which is good. I usually inherit her older cars but I would probally pass on this one when the time comes. I hope she likes it and it gives her decent service, but time will tell. I was hoping for a used '10 Malibu with more goodies on it, but she chose this one. I have no idea how this little car will handle winter driving.
Originally Posted By: RN89
My aunt had a 2008 sentra with the 2.0. It was a POS. 2 CVT replacements. 1st one at 66k miles, second one at 112k miles, both covered under warranty. She was very religious about her car maintenance and got everything done at the dealer on time. She limped the (dying, clattery) engine into a Hyundia dealer last month and bought a 2014 Elentra.

Our 2011 Altima with the 2.5 and CVT has been trouble free so far. 71k miles. I haven't even changed the CVT fluid yet. Some on the nissan forums have 100k miles and still haven't changed the fluid and are without problems. I called the dealer yesterday and was quoted $159 for CVT fluid change. Will probably get it done soon.

Good luck with your purchase. We have liked our Nissan, it's smooth and gets good mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back