Best Pushmowers Ever (List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In May 6 of 1985 I bought my first Honda HR21 sx. I remember the date because we settled on our house on May 5 and the next day I bought the mower. That one only lasted until 2005. Then I bought another one in 2005. That one is like brand new.

These are self propelled but, if you are feeling strong and need to do some penance you can push it. If this one ever dies I'm going to get another one.

It's hard to kill a Honda... anything... car, MC, generator, lawn mower etc

Originally Posted By: afoulk
How about the old bob-cat M21 mowers. Those things were built like a tank...heavy aluminum deck, old school 4hp Briggs with pto if it was self propelled, and even had a third crankshaft bearing bolted fast to the underside of the deck for extra support. I hope to find one someday (preferably a self propelled model) and restore it. just the hand levers for the self propelled system look 4 times the size and heft that are necessary.

I remember those mowers. I haven't seen one of them in years! You are right, they were built like tanks. They didn't do very well with the winter rye that all of the commercial properties plant around here, they kind of left a mess.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I've only got about 100hrs on my Snapper 21" disk-o-matic, but I haven't had to adjust it since the day I unpacked and setup the machine. Friction disk looks new yet.

In 28 years I've repl a couple belts and one disc that was made from something similar to pot metal(groove for the belt wore completely away), all the others I've seen were stamped steel... I did see a bad bearing in a disc on a parts mower but I'm yet to see drive tire failure... I've retired a couple for better used pieces but am yet to buy a new one, AFAIK the drive tire on the '79 is original... I did swap engines years ago but other than a crank belt, drive system is orig..

Originally Posted By: TFB1

In 28 years I've repl a couple belts and one disc.....

Good to know. Thanks!

I just put another hour on mine this evening. Did an oil change mid-way after I ran it out of fuel. It's easier just to flip it on it's side and dump the oil out the dipstick tube given the stupid location of the engine oil drain plug underneath.

The Briggs 850 "professional series" (LOL!) engine on mine has a spin-on oil filter, but I don't change that every oil change.

I've never seen one aside from pics online, but I've always marveled at Eastman Industries 21" commercial mower. Looks like an absolute beast, plus you can get them with crankshaft protectors. That's the key to a true commercial mower IMO.

http://eastmanind.com/HOME/tabid/36/Default.aspx

Eastman-21-inch-big.jpg

Originally Posted By: JTK
I've never seen one aside from pics online, but I've always marveled at Eastman Industries 21" commercial mower. Looks like an absolute beast, plus you can get them with crankshaft protectors. That's the key to a true commercial mower IMO.

It looks like an MTD.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I like the rear maintenance panel on that Eastman!

Yeah, the deck shell is different now. I don't recall looking them up in a year or three, but the previous gen had a front bumper bar/ grab handle and a different looking cast alum deck IIRC. I haven't kept up on Eastman (and all that is Ingersoll) in a few years since I sold my Case 220 rider.

Last edited:
I think the Toro Proline/Suzuki combo is probably the best as well, but I think only the OP mentioned the JD.

I have the JX-75 and is the best mower I ever used. Kawasaki 4-Stroke and an aluminum deck, the combo is practically unbeatable. Coupled with a rear drive 5-speed trans climbing hills is effortless.

Craigslist find....$50...post-cleaning

CA2_8186.jpg

Nice! If I could find $50 mowers like that, I'd have garage full of them.

That JX-75 was probably a $800-1000 mower new?

Originally Posted By: i6pwr
I think the Toro Proline/Suzuki combo is probably the best as well, but I think only the OP mentioned the JD.

I have the JX-75 and is the best mower I ever used. Kawasaki 4-Stroke and an aluminum deck, the combo is practically unbeatable. Coupled with a rear drive 5-speed trans climbing hills is effortless.

Craigslist find....$50...post-cleaning

CA2_8186.jpg

Very Cool find, That thing looks bulletproof!

I'd nominate my Craftsman Eager-1. Bought new in 2002 and gets about 20hrs use per year, every year. With only basic maintenance, it still starts on 1st pull every time.
smile.gif

Another nomination for Lawn Boy!

I have a 1973 21" LB with the D600 engine and magnesium deck, and just got it going again a couple weeks ago after it sat for 2 years. I put some fresh fuel in it and was astounded when this 40 year old mower started on the first pull. It's mostly going to get used for trim work these days but is sure a testament to Lawn Boy quality.

No discussion would be complete without the " Yazoo Master Mower. Mine was purchased new in 1989. It is the 5HP S22 Model. I still use this mower on a weekly basis during the long mowing season in North Fl.

My vote is lawnboy duraforce silver pro. Light powerfull grass mowing monster.
The Snapper Robin was great as well

I'm going to nominate my 1987(?) Sarlo 22" Commercial push mower. Quarter inch steel wheel brackets, 16" rear wheels, heavy duty steel deck and frame.

I found this mower in my dad's shop after he passed away, and have been using it ever since. Recently went into the Sarlo headquarters, which coincidentally is in my hometown of Ft. Myers, and ordered a new blade for it. When I told the guy behind the counter my model #, he looked up and said "god don't ever get rid of that thing. It's built like a tank".

Has the original Briggs 110700 series 4 hp engine that still runs well but burns a considerable amount of oil.

I am going to restore it soon with new paint and either an engine rebuild or a Briggs replacement engine.

When I figure out the magic of how to get pictures from the camera to the computer, I am going to post some pics. Seriously, the mower frame itself is heavy duty and should last 50 years or more.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I'd nominate my Craftsman Eager-1. Bought new in 2002 and gets about 20hrs use per year, every year. With only basic maintenance, it still starts on 1st pull every time.
smile.gif

I have one also and it's a good mower. I had to fix the drive unit a couple times but everything else has held up.

I am considering the Husqvarna HU800AWD 22 inch All-Wheel Drive Lawn Mower - mainly because i have a terraced area, not a large yard. What is the current opinion? Any good?

Last edited:
I had a mid '70's staggered wheel, magnesium deck 19" Lawnboy, that was without a doubt the best lawnmower I ever had. I used it to mow mow many lawns to make money in the beginning, and had it thru buying my first house. It was light, maneuverable and quite powerful. I laugh every time I think about it, the only problem I ever had, was when I decided to use Amsoil in it. I liked the 100:1 mix ration idea, trouble is my math was off just a bit and I used something like 200:1. It mowed for a short time, and then would ... wop, wop, wop and quit. Let it cool and restart, and the same thing. I'm thinking this Amsoil is junk, so I go back to Lawnboy oil and all is well, no damage when I checked the cylinder and piston. A few months later I'm cleaning the garage out and go to toss the Amsoil, and while working did the calculation in my head and realized my mistake, dah!. Oh well, I still tossed the Amsoil and went on using Lawnboy oil and shortly after buying the second house, sold the mower, still running fine. I wish I'd kept it, but I don't actually even need a push mower any more, even though I do use one now to keep the tractor off the front lawn.

I now have a Troy-Bilt self propelled variable speed mower that I really like. Very sturdy built and mows like a champ. I also have a backup Craftsman/Tecumseh self propelled mower that is quite possibly the best self propelled mower I've ever used. It does everything well, bags, mulches, and mows better than anything I've ever used. The TB is a close second though. I think the new TB and Husqvarna mowers are looking like great mowers. I'd love to try one of the all wheel drive Husqy's.

All the major brand mowers mentioned are top of the line stuff, but has anybody ever heard of SENSATION mowers? They were manufactured in Ralston Ne. (a suburb of Omaha) which is about 80 miles from where I live. I was a dealer for them in the 70's. At the time they didn't even make a s/p model, and when they did come out with a s/p model, it wasn't the greatest system. They Had a heavy cast deck and heavy steel roller (not ball) brg. wheels. The bag was a steel frame with screen wire for the "fabric". It was absolutely un-plugable in any conditions, and it had a great crankshaft protector. They were expensive for the time, but the deck lasted forever. My dads 1st power mower ever was one, (no bag) with a 1.6 hp clinton 2 cycle engine. Original engine lasted about 30 years, then I put a 2 cycle tecumseh on it, and it was still going when we sold it after he went to a home in 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back