The best built oil filter in your opinion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eltydiyer
Toyota Filters made in Japan by Denso.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/jimandmandy/IMG_0638.jpg

I'd really like to know what the filtering efficiency of that filter is. It may look cool, but it might not filter worth beans.
grin.gif

Mobil 1 EP filters are my favorite, even though I refuse to pay $13 for them. I am confident using E-Cores, AC Delco classics, and Chinese built, bullet-proof cheapo-s.

I agree its hard to beat the Fram Ultra plus its a very good deal $ wise.

There is also Royal Purple and Amsoil... but FRAM Ultra is so easy for find.

My picks based on quality of build only:

Tie- Royal Purple & Amsoil EAO
Mobil 1
Fram Ultra
Purolator Synthetic

Honestly Fram Ultra would top the list if it had the bypass valve mechanism like Purolator uses.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Honestly Fram Ultra would top the list if it had the bypass valve mechanism like Purolator uses.

I don't have any qualms with Fram's bypass valve design. It's spring operated, and the valve is high temperature nylon material. Fram has tested the design 100%.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I don't have any qualms with Fram's bypass valve design. It's spring operated, and the valve is high temperature nylon material. Fram has tested the design 100%.

I'm fine with it also. But the Purolator bypass valve is, in my opinion, the most predictable of all the common types when mass production tolerances are considered. Its cheap to build, but its also very, repeatable depending more on the modulus of the metal its stamped from than on its physical dimensions which are subject to error in the production process. Its an example of very clever engineering to counteract problems in production... I admire that.

For cartridge (no metal outer can) oil filter like I currently need for my BMW and Chevy, NAPA Gold 7327 and Fram ToughGuard TG8765 are built the best. Great media too, both have very high ISO 4548-12 scoring synthetic-glass blend media and lots of pleats, solid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What would you say is the best built oil filter that has zero chance of coming out with bent/wavy/torn pleats at the end of the OCI ? Assuming cost is no factor.

Royal Purple
Amsoil

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Orange can.

Where ya been hiding orange can man?
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Orange can.

Where ya been hiding orange can man?
cool.gif

Nowhere really....just been hiding out during the winter.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Orange can.

Orange can problems have been highly exaggerated over the years. Are you exaggerating the benefits to swing the pendulum the other way?
wink.gif

I think that KevGuy makes these posts with tongue firmly in cheek.
He always has the same answer to any question regarding oil filters.
I do have an OCD on the Focus at the moment, since I picked it up for a buck and a half and that was too good a deal to pass on.
Nothing wrong with the orange can, although it would be quite a stretch to call it the best constructed oil filter.
OTOH, the Fram Ultra is probably in the running.

So based on what I read here, most of us may agree that Fram holds the honors of making the worst and best filters. Orange can being the worst (or rather overpriced in comparison to other filters) and the Ultra being at the top.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
So based on what I read here, most of us may agree that Fram holds the honors of making the worst and best filters. Orange can being the worst (or rather overpriced in comparison to other filters) and the Ultra being at the top.

Pretty much.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back