High Zinc/ Phos or high Moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley sportster- in which the engine oil is separate from the transmission. No catalytic converter.

Which would be a better additive in this engine? I'm currently using Pennzoil YB 20w50 dino (high moly count, low Zn/Phos) in the engine now but thinking about valvoline VR dino (high zinc/ phos but no moly additive). They are both readily available and cheap.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think from my knowledge the high ZDDP in the valvoline is superior for this type of application.

Why?

Traditionally most bikes shared oil so friction modifiers couldn't be used,so to compensate higher levels of zddp were used to help lessen wear.
Bikes with seperated primaries and trannies can use use any friction modified oil and benefit from all the good things they do.

In the UOA section, there's a sample of Harley's oil that was used for 1k miles. The testing stated there's hardly any moly in it. So if Harley doesn't feel the need to use it, and there have been Harley motors running on their oil for many years, apparently there's not much that using an oil loaded with moly is going to do, or change. You would be hard pressed to find an oil that has been determined to be harm full to your motor. Either oils will work in your application, But knowing the factory oil has little or none in it, should make selecting an oil easier. Less spec's to worry about to meet the requirements.,,

If you look at most racing oils, they prefer to use ZDDP over moly. Now you could get something like Kendall GT1 or VR1 Valvoline and then add moly to it with MoS2 from liqui moily. Many Napa auto stores can get it. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted By: cknight49090
agreed but VR1 is not for long OCI at all.For what it costs I would just use V-twin oil..

Why do you say this? VR1 is an SN oil, and has a lot of calcium in it as well in addition to the phos/zinc. The only Valvoline racing oil that is not meant for long OCI is the "Not Street Legal" version which is basically non-detergent oil designed to be dumped at the end of the track day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back