Mom's car totaled

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my mom calls me at work this morning freaking out because some lady hit her car. I did my best Dukes of Hazard impression at work driving out there to check on things. So a lady that lives around the corner apparently "blacked out" and slammed into the back of my mom's car so hard it pushed my mom's car forward about 20 feet into the back of our neighbors car. My mom's car is obviously totaled.

My mom's car was parked where the Highlander is.

My neighbor's Golf was parked where my mom's car was.

Frame is bent and I am pretty sure there should be a body mount bushing there.

Floorpan is bent.

Driver's rear door will not close.

Trunk lid is wedged into the quarter panel. The paint was already peeling. We had it towed to a body shop I work with through my job and the owner came out and broke the trunk open to we could take all the junk out of the car.

Looks like it did its job and protected her, I hope she is ok.
The only concerning thing i see here , is that fuel leaking out from the rear end collision? ( in pic 1 and 2).

that can be fixed with an aftermarket quarter clip bumper and a chassis puller.. How many miles? they run 350,000 plus.. What year? They usually hold up very well in crashes what car hit her and what was the damage on that car

The car was literally stationary in front of our house. I had left for work and my mom is retired so she hasn't seen before 10AM voluntarily in a few years.

It was a 2000 Grand Marquis LS, had just over 120k miles on it. The car is a total, we won't even bother fixing it.

The other lady has eSurance, and we have AAA. The lady that hit my mom's car was livid that she called the police. She was fully planning on just leaving a note and bailing.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Looks like it did its job and protected her, I hope she is ok.
The only concerning thing i see here , is that fuel leaking out from the rear end collision? ( in pic 1 and 2).

I saw that and I am not sure what it was all over the ground. She had mentioned she just filled up the tank yesterday. The lady claimed she was going 25, the posted speed limit, but I think a lot higher. She was honestly lucky my mom literally has no idea what a parking brake is, so the only thing holding the car in place was the parking prawl.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Glad she is ok, that lady must have been booking it in reverse to do such damage.

She was going forward. The lady that hit my mom's car was in that Highlander. My mom's car is the Grand Marquis.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
was that Ponch?

Nah, I wish it was the Chippies. We have the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's dept in Goleta, but they label the vehicles "Goleta Police". The Deputies were really nice, the lady that hit my mom's car was concerned that he planned to put "hit gas instead of brake" as his cause for the accident because she wanted fault to be on my mom's car for being parked too far from the curb. The Deputy was like "nope not buying that at all."

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

The other lady has eSurance, and we have AAA. The lady that hit my mom's car was livid that she called the police. She was fully planning on just leaving a note and bailing.

Good thing your Mom called CHP. This clown wasn't going to
"leave a note" either, she was likely hoping to leave the scene and not get caught, figuring that since no person was in the vehicle there were no injuries and the police wouldn't make a serious effort to track the offender down.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The Deputies were really nice, the lady that hit my mom's car was concerned that he planned to put "hit gas instead of brake" as his cause for the accident because she wanted fault to be on my mom's car for being parked too far from the curb. The Deputy was like "nope not buying that at all."

That is hilarious! Nice try! You slammed into the back of a parked car. Why can't you just accept responsibility? Lol

You may call it totaled, but i can nearly guarantee that it'll be back on the road as a taxi in a couple months.
as long as the frame wasn't bent, it's nothing bit of body work, and a lick of Yellow paint can't fix.

I have worked with this body shop both as a customer and a supplier. The owner even said "this it totaled, i will make sure of it." BTW it is the body shop that the Foose's used to own, so they have a reputation to uphold.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
You may call it totaled, but i can nearly guarantee that it'll be back on the road as a taxi in a couple months.
as long as the frame wasn't bent, it's nothing bit of body work, and a lick of Yellow paint can't fix.

I guarantee it will be fixed by someone. I totaled a 92 Grand Marquis when I was 17 and when I checked the VIN on the CA smog check page, it had hits.

BTW what grinds my gears the most about this is all the work the car had done to it.

I did the intake with the updated Ford one, also changed all the hoses with Motorcraft and 8 new Motorcraft coils and plugs. It has a new US Made Moog idler, pitman arms and Moog anti-sway bar endlinks. Fairly new Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires, Bilstein HD dampers, newish Ford OEM rotors and Motorcraft Super Duty pads, a new heater core. So ya real annoying. I have a bunch of parts I had planned to put on but never got around to. Expect a for sale thread soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back