3M headlight restorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pleased with the way the headlight turned out. Let's hope it lasts.

I've always put this off because I didn't think it would work and $15 is on the high side of what I spend on appearance products.

I bought it based on my experiences with 3M.
Sorry if the photos don't turn out alright, there is a glare this morning.

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/mjoekingz28/media/IMG_0347.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Looks good. What product did you use?

A year or two ago I had bought one of those handheld kits (no drill usage required). Also 3M, turned out really well, particularly for the cost.

That looks very good, and I bet throws a lot better light, too. Give them a coat of wax or protectant every month, and they should stay clear.

I just used this 3M kit to renew my headlights. I didn't even use the coarsest grit paper, since most of the problem was yellowing. I was pleasantly surprised at the speed and results. I just wish I'd taken before and after photos.

The latest issue of Popular Mechanics has a review of headlight restoration kits. Just mentioning it.

You may want to set your photobucket profile to private so everyone doesn't see all your other pictures.
smile.gif

Hopefully, the kit came with a sealant to help protect the lenses.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
You may want to set your photobucket profile to private so everyone doesn't see all your other pictures.
smile.gif

If I'm not mistaken, I think a lot of guys just by clearcoat spray paint and call it a day.

I didn't know they had more than one out there. IT is the Auto Advanced Headlight Restoration Kit No tools required.

It has enough for about 3 pair and an extra rubbing compound packet leftover. I'll try and get pics of the F150 later if ya like. This is all by hand and doesn't require much elbow grease. This one came from WAL-MART. Funny, I usually shop at AAP but I've been up during the night lately and go there to look around and shop.

I tried the toothpaste before and didn't have much luck.

Just be careful if you use this and use tape to mask off the body. With one headlight on my Saturn I didn't and the side of the paper/backing material left a pretty good gouge.

Don't bother with a sealant. Just go for one of the UV-protecting clear films like LaminX, Formula One, etc. Much more durable and actually protects against stone chips and such.

Just make sure you seal it with something. I did the lights on my wifes Accord and even with a good coat of wax they start to haze over a little after 6 months.

Consider a complete headlight replacement. Often by the time the lens has yellowed, the reflector has also degraded and you're getting a reduced light output. Even if the damage isn't visible to the eye.
The lens protectors are great on new lenses also, to prevent a lot of the damage that happens. I wish I'd had them on my last car before driving through Utah and getting them sandblasted on the road.

Last edited:
I have read now in several places that the perfect DIY sealant that protects from UV damage is a 50/50 mix of Helmsman Spar urethane and mineral sprits applied with a folded paper towel or similar.

Even better than that DIY sealant is silicon hardcoats like Opticoat 2.0 or Cquartz.

Urethane will yellow badly over time. It's not a very good UV stable polymer.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
smile.gif

If I'm not mistaken, I think a lot of guys just by clearcoat spray paint and call it a day.

I can't imagine anything from a rattle can providing a very good even finish................... unless you set very low standards.

Seems like Orange peel city.

And once it's on, have fun getting it off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back