Group III vs Group IV at 400C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this video has been posted, but it shows that no matter how good a Group III oil is (BMW LL04), it still can't take the heat like a PAO-based oil (Castrol Edge).

Yet another gee-whiz test that means little, kind of like the 4-ball wear test. Sure you get a dramatic visible result (good for the county fair) but what does it mean really? Not much.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
but what does it mean really? Not much.

It measures the amount of coking at very high temps. That means something.

A turbo without water cooled bearings can get that hot on heat soak after shutdown.

I don't get you people.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

A turbo without water cooled bearings can get that hot on heat soak after shutdown.

I don't get you people.

Bingo.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm not surprised actually. I assume this is purely a III base oil? This is why III+ with a small amount of PAO and some % of AN/Esters also are added to the better 0w40's.

As my physics professor says "If you don't complete 400-level university physics, then you are just a freaking chimpanzee".

Originally Posted By: Lex94
As my physics professor says "If you don't complete 400-level university physics, then you are just a freaking chimpanzee".

thumbsup2.gif

So please prove that the innards of a water cooled turbo hit 400C under heat soak. Doubtful.

The reality is that this test puts the oil into a regime that the bulk will not see, and even localized areas where there is a ton of heat, it's questionable that the time at temperature would becduch to cause issues. Beyond that, one must consider an oils detergency and solvency to move any deposits out of the bearing, which if the case, makes this moot again.

Last I checked, engines are lasting longer, not shorter than they have in the past. Plus, full formulations accounting for situations make "show me" tests like this fairly irrelevant.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2128952/1

400C=750F

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Honda's HTO-06 is a turbocharger deposit spec and there are quite a few oils that meet that. Now, are they all 100% PAO? That's the million dollar question .

No they certainly are not 100% PAO.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I don't get you people.

Agreed. A turbo on a gasoline engine during a hot soak is about the only place in an engine I can think of where the oil would get that hot. Even a top ring temperature of 315C is considered very hot.

400C temperatures would be about as common in any unmodified factory engine as teeth are in hens.
This is a clasic example of setting up a test not sanctioned by any recognized body and then declaring that your product won while other products lost.
Probably means nothing.
Why does anyone think that Castrol Edge is a Grp IV oil anyway?
Also, IIRC, LL-04 is the low-SAPS spec and is intended for diesels in this country.
LL-98 or LL-01 would have been better oils to have tested Edge against.
Finally, the BMW labeled Castrol is hardly the only oil out there.
As others have noted, there are other oils that meet the Honda turbo spec.
These were not "tested", of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back