Synthetic Oil in a GM 3800 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you own a GM car with the 3800 V6 and you've tried synthetic oil, has the engine ever sounded any different from using conventional oil ?

All these threads about synthetic oil causing upper engine valve train noise is the reason why I've been too scared to try it.

My L67 doesn't reall sound that much different on any of the 30s I've run...seems a bit quieter on 40s (as recommended by my owners manual for freezing condition, but I use it all year
lol.gif
)

Valve train clatter can be caused by slight aeration foaming in the oil. My 07 BMW is famous for hydraulic valve lash adjuster noise/clatter due to air bubbles. Is not because of synthetic vs. conventional. Use a dexos1 rated oil with confidence, since GM specifies better foaming resistance in that spec, which they say helps the oil function better as a hydraulic fluid in variable valve timing mechanisms, and by default, the hydraulic lifter functions.

I think M1 is most famous for making engines sing. I have experienced it too. My first synthetic use was M1 and it made my truck "loud-er" Any pennzoil synthetic or dino will not cause more engine noise, it dosnt for me. PYB is as quiet as PP and PU in my 4.3

I noticed that with M1 0W-40 in my 4Runner V-6 before I read about it on the 'net...on my diesel, didn't notice it at all, but being a diesel, it's noisy full stop.

I have run Valvoline Synpower, Napa Synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum, G-Oil, M1, and even a run of Shell T6 (5w-40). None caused any noticeable sound issues in my 3800.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Those 3800s are already rather noisy, I wouldn't be too worried about oil adding to it.

Not sure what 3800's you have been running.

I am on my fourth one. 3 supercharged 1 N/A. All sound the same no matter what oil I have run. The last two have been supercharged and I used M1 10W-30 all year long.

I haven't noticed a difference. I put whatever full synthetic 10w30 is on sale that week. 03 3800 supercharged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with those having no issues with a synthetic in the 3800. Mine seemed to like QSUD the best of all. Currently using Pennzoil Platinum 10W30. It doesn't seem to like the Platinum because I never received my rebate. (true but just joking)

My '00 Impala LS 3800 was changed over to PP10w30 from conventional and ran 95,000 miles on synthetic alone. Recently I switched back to PYB 10w30 and it does seem to be quieter on conventional. It has 228,000 miles on it and leaks 1/4qt. every 5500 miles around the oil pan gasket. I personally will keep using PYB and Wix filters from now on in this car. Great engines they are/were. Try for yourself as it won't hurt anything, but to me they are not fussy on oils.

2x3800 Gen II engines running exclusively on synthetic. One has been run on Mobil 1 since new according to the original owner records and runs M1 0w40 today.
The other runs SOPUS synthetics (PU at the moment) the last 7 years. I have no idea how they sound on dino.

Both engines are silent as a tomb, if it wasn't for normal belt noise and the slight normal ticking of the injectors you wouldn't know they were running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back