Rotella 15w40 in an oil burner/leaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a 94 Mighty Max that I acquired recently and it seems to be going through a quart every 800-1000 miles...meaning I would have to buy 2 jugs of oil for one OCI, which seems ridiculous. I've been running 5w30 HM in it and was considering going thicker, maybe 10w40 or depending on what you guys think, Rotella T. I only drive 10-15 miles each day round trip. Thoughts?

Also, I have the original owners manual and it states 10w40 is ok above -10, and 20w50 is ok above 32 F. Other than leaking/burning oil, its a great little truck but isn't cost effective to replace all of the gaskets, as I only will have it for a year or two.

Last edited:
Rotella's a great idea. Had a friend with a dodge d50 that burned a quart every 200 miles-- from new. Kept fouling plugs.

the only problem now is that with my walmart changing up some things that they stock, the only 20w50 they carry now is supertech...which in my situation wouldn't be bad, just not my 1st choice

From everything I read here on BITOG the ST would be excellent, as it seems to test out very well, and if you have to add, it will keep the add package up.

Update: I've been running Rotella 15w40 this OC and the 40w seems to make the valves tap embarrassingly loud. As it leaked/burned out, I topped off with some 5w30 and after approx half the crankcase was replenished with the 30w, the engine has no valve/lifter noise to speak of. So am I just doomed to running the cheapest 10w30 I can find and just topping off more often?

Last edited:
From what you describe, I'd stick with the cheapest HM oil I could find in 10w30. QS Defy, Mobil Super HM, etc. I would be tempted to try 10w40 HM instead of the 15w40 that you used. It may not cause lifter noise, but reduce consumption.

Honestly, I don't think I'm even gonna bother with a HM oil...I'm thinking of just going with 50/50 ST 10w30/10w40...and monitor consumption, but ST also makes an HD30. I just don't have much experience with high consumption vehicles. And it's actually about 1 quart every 500 miles, not the 800-1000 that I mentioned in my original post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stang40
So am I just doomed to running the cheapest 10w30 I can find and just topping off more often?

That's what I would do.

I'd be running the SAE 30
wink.gif

Even better, I'd fix the engine

Fixing it isn't a cost effective option...it's just a beater to put miles on and haul off trash to the dump.

Why not try a blend of w30 and w40 and once you find what works for valve noise, then stick with that.

ST isn't bad especially if you are going thru it so quickly that the crankcase is changed every 2.5k.

Maybe I missed this but is it all being burned or is some being leaked? If burned, have you completed a leakdown test to see if a cylinder is loose or any other diagnostics?

I agree, and I'm going to go with a 30/40w blend. It's def leaking, and I'm pretty sure it's burning too, the inside of the tailpipe is black and coated with soot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back