05 Corolla 1.8L 1ZZFE-Sam's Club 5W-30 9,672 oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MD1032
They just got back to me. TBN was 0.6. Talk about cutting it close. That oil was on its last leg (mile?). I guess that oil isn't cut out for extended runs after all.

First off MD, you're to be applauded for taking the initiative and really delving into this stuff -- very cool!

As you can probably deduce from my original post in this thread, I'm not surprised in the least to see that your TBN is down at such a level. Have you started the new 5k OCI yet?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Have you started the new 5k OCI yet?

No, I have to buy the oil this weekend and change it out. I am going to go with exactly what you recommended. Pennzoil conventional 5W-30 and the Motorcraft FL-400S. I will post a new thread in 5000 miles. Obviously I will also have them run TBN as well from the get-go this time around. Note that it may take a couple months to get another 5000 because I started a new job a couple months ago and I have a shorter commute than I used to and I'm down to probably 600 miles a week.

fpracha, I am going with Ramblejam's recommendation. I think in the ideal world I would be running 0W-30 synthetic with fancy oil filters, but pushing the limits of what most people think cheap oil can do is interesting to me. Let's face it, this car cost me $8k, and it's no performance machine. I can afford a little experimentation - and for reference, I seriously doubt any significant damage has taken place.

I know a lot of 9th gen owners have switched to 0W-20 or 5W-20 because it increases fuel mileage very slightly, and there's a TSB from Toyota supporting the use of XW-20 weight oil in the 1ZZ-FE - I'm simply not comfortable with running a thinner weight oil, especially with the amount of "high" RPM operation I engage in.
wink.gif
(as the 2ZZ-GE people laugh at me)

Last edited:
Certified is a Warren Distribution private label oil in it's current version. Same as Supertech and all the other WNE/WPP house brand oils. Good stuff, and super cheap at about $2/quart.

No, I have to buy the oil this weekend and change it out. I am going to go with exactly what you recommended. Pennzoil conventional 5W-30 and the Motorcraft FL-400S. I will post a new thread in 5000 miles. Obviously I will also have them run TBN as well from the get-go this time around. Note that it may take a couple months to get another 5000 because I started a new job a couple months ago and I have a shorter commute than I used to and I'm down to probably 600 miles a week.

fpracha, I am going with Ramblejam's recommendation. I think in the ideal world I would be running 0W-30 synthetic with fancy oil filters, but pushing the limits of what most people think cheap oil can do is interesting to me. Let's face it, this car cost me $8k, and it's no performance machine. I can afford a little experimentation - and for reference, I seriously doubt any significant damage has taken place.

I know a lot of 9th gen owners have switched to 0W-20 or 5W-20 because it increases fuel mileage very slightly, and there's a TSB from Toyota supporting the use of XW-20 weight oil in the 1ZZ-FE - I'm simply not comfortable with running a thinner weight oil, especially with the amount of "high" RPM operation I engage in.
wink.gif
(as the 2ZZ-GE people laugh at me)

Lol I have both engine and I honestly prefer the 1ZZ-FED for its performance & fuel economy, 2ZZ-GE is fun but the fuel economy difference doesn't add up to the performance difference.

Knowing what I know now, I rather have a 03-05 Celica GT.

No one has the right to laugh at any body, just kidding...!
That a fine decision you have made and good luck - keep us posted.
Yes I will vouch for the 5K OCI too and then by default you will be on shorter FCIs, or are you planning a "2-oci-1-fci" maintenance with the Pennzoil conventional 5W-30 ?

The results are in. Pennzoil 5W-30 and Motorcraft FL-400S:

I have resumed using the cheap oil and filters for now since I have a small stockpile.

Last edited:
I thought about doing that once, but I was too lazy to take out the alternator. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Maybe I'll give it a shot one day...but I doubt it will help. Most likely, the lock pin is worn on mine just like every other vane-style VVT car out there.

lock pin? i mean not sure what your talking about but, cleaning out the VVT-i solenoid helps as well.

there are so MANY 1ZZ-FE in junk yard you could easily just grab on those solenoids especially if you have a pick-n-pull near you.

Clearning your VVT-i screen & solenoid should work wonders.

Also, you don't need to take out the alternator, just take off the serpentine belt, should be a simple pull. then take off the top bolt on the alternator and loosen the lower one, and you could just simple swing the alternator out of your way enough to clean the solenoid and screen.

Toyota Corolla has always been a great very long lasting car it is by far the best car they build. Toyota quality went down lately but not the corolla

Silicone has jumped, and so has bearing wear. I'd check the air intake and ducting for air leaks or a dirty air filter before going this far again.

I used silicone gasket sealant two oil changes ago. That caused the jump. It is in the process of washing out. I did not copy blackstone's comments, they said, "silicone from the gasket sealant you used last oil change appears to be washing out well". Thank you for your concern, though. I do keep my air filter changed.

The bearing wear is a mystery that will probably never be solved. It is at such a low level, it might not even be worth investigating. The engine has not changed one iota in the 110k+ miles I've put on it at this point and still runs perfectly smooth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back