BMW USA: New list of recommended oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AngryScientist
personally i place more value in a car that will run for 250k+ thousand miles without major parts replacements

You and me both. Alas, they don't really want you to run it for 250K+ miles. They'd much rather you lease a new one every 36K.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
How is it vague? LL-01 and LL-04 are no different than the other oil approval lists the Euros love.

Yeah, I think VW is much more complicated.

Originally Posted By: AngryScientist
grumble. this just adds to my frustration with BMW. i've been a fan of them forever, and have racked up thousand of miles behind the wheel of a bmw, but i dont like the direction they are going in at all. new turbo engines, vague oil specs, yada yada.

dear BMW: please keep making a relatively affordable car with your bullet proof inline-6 naturally aspirated engine. personally i place more value in a car that will run for 250k+ thousand miles without major parts replacements over a strung out, hpfp injected quad turbo four-banger. thank you. from NJ with love.

My sentiments exactly!

The normally aspirated 6 cylinder cars are wonderful machines but the future is fleet fuel mileage driven.

That's why a new 528i has a turbo 4 cylinder and the 10 cylinder M6 is no more.

You think BMW will send out a notice to owners regarding the new oil recommendations?

Also BMW's move to Shell motor oils in lieu of Castrol will have to weigh in this process somewhere.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
You think BMW will send out a notice to owners regarding the new oil recommendations?

I doubt it. The underlying premise to use "BMW High Performance Synthetic" and LL-01 oils will not change. The only thing changing is the content of the fluid in that BMW High Performance oil bottle.

Quote:

Also BMW's move to Shell motor oils in lieu of Castrol will have to weigh in this process somewhere.

That's why I'm guessing they pulled that oil web page from their website. It had "Castrol" written all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back