Remove spark plugs for timing belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who have done a timing belt change, do I need to remove the spark plugs to be able to turn the engine manually?

If I need to put cylinder 1 in TDC and I remove all the other plugs, would I be able to feel the difference in force as the cylinder goes into the compression stroke?

The engine in question is a 4 cylinder 1.6L Renault K4M, and the spark plugs were changed recently.

Most of the time I will remove them. The last T-Belt I did was on a WRX and I had no trouble turning the crank with the plugs still in.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
If I need to put cylinder 1 in TDC and I remove all the other plugs, would I be able to feel the difference in force as the cylinder goes into the compression stroke?

If you hold your finger over the spark plug hole, you'll feel pressure building during both the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke. But, you should feel MORE pressure as the piston comes up to TDC during the compression stroke. In the old days we'd look at the direction the distributor rotor was pointing to determine whether we were on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke. But these days, with no distributor and no timing marks to reference, you'd have to look at the valves to tell.

Nah, should be no problems with the spark plugs in. The time of taking them out would be much longer than sticking a ratchet onto the bolt of the crankshaft.

Turns easier and you can use a long wood dowel down the opening, depending on block configuration, to watch the piston stroke.

The valve springs offer more of a fight IMO and will make the cams want to rest in certain spots. For me about 4 cogs before or after TDC, so I move the crank to match.

There is no need to check for TDC with your finger, or a dowel. Using the instructions provided with the instructions or a service manual, line the timing marks up and replace the belt. There should be reference marks on the crank gear and the cam gear(s). Some engines have lock pins and/or flat plates that engage the crank or cams to lock them in place.

Thanks to all for their comments and suggestions, as I have the upper-body strength of a 7 year old girl, I think I will be removing the spark plugs in the near future.

This will be my first ever belt change but I feel confident that I will be able to do it, I have the timing tools and manuals. I am just waiting for a couple of days without rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back