BMW dropping Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that explains why BMWNA now pulled all engine oil related info off their website.

I fully expect BMWNA to send me a new engine oil cap with Pennzoil logo on it to replace my Castrol one.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Well, that explains why BMWNA now pulled all engine oil related info off their website.

I fully expect BMWNA to send me a new engine oil cap with Pennzoil logo on it to replace my Castrol one.
smile.gif

Lmao

They are "pleased" to announce the change to Shell.

I've never liked BP since that oil spill off the Gulf. BP is considered a Top Tier gas station here but it only makes up around 10% of my fill ups, even though there are several near by. I end up driving further up the street just to fill up with Shell instead.

I hope Shell serves them well.

Originally Posted By: Artem
They are "pleased" to announce the change to Shell.

I've never liked BP since that oil spill off the Gulf. BP is considered a Top Tier gas station here but it only makes up around 10% of my fill ups, even though there are several near by. I end up driving further up the street just to fill up with Shell instead.

I hope Shell serves them well.

Same here.

w00t! they are changing to an oil I actually like, LOL!!! Was kind of hoping it was going to be Mobil but SOPUS will do
smile.gif

I am surprised (and a little disappointed) that they did not go with a more recognizable and more high-end supplier such as ExxonMobil.

Oh well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I am surprised (and a little disappointed) that they did not go with a more recognizable and more high-end supplier such as ExxonMobil.

Oh well.

LOL, why ExxonMobile is more reputable then Shell?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
w00t! they are changing to an oil I actually like, LOL!!! Was kind of hoping it was going to be Mobil but SOPUS will do
smile.gif

It'll be interesting to see what ends up in a bottle of "BMW High Performance Synthetic 5w-30" going forward. I'm not aware of any SOPUS products currently available in North America that would fit the bill, so possibly it'll be some new concoction.. maybe a slightly thinner version of PU 5w-40...

Originally Posted By: The Critic

It's all about who will cut them a better deal.

SOPUS is recognizable enough and high-end enough for it to not be a concern, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
smile.gif

It'll be interesting to see what ends up in a bottle of "BMW High Performance Synthetic 5w-30" going forward. I'm not aware of any SOPUS products currently available in North America that would fit the bill, so possibly it'll be some new concoction.. maybe a slightly thinner version of PU 5w-40...

Probably Shell Helix 5W30.

I hope Shell Helix 5W-30 makes it way to store shelves in the USA.

They could call it PHU EURO.

The Pennzoil LL-01 5W-40 Ultra Euro already works for my newer BMW's so I can make that move on my next DIY change.

I wonder what they will do with Castrol/BMW TWS 10W-60 applications?

There is a Shell 10W-60 to replace that "storied" motor oil.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I wonder what they will do with Castrol/BMW TWS 10W-60 applications?

There is a Shell 10W-60 to replace that "storied" motor oil.

With the passing of the NA M series engines, TWS is no longer the required fill for any current BMW model. Thus, I think their recommendation of TWS for older M cars will remain. I would assume dealers will continue to stock this oil for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back