Gallbladder advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have an abdominal ultrasound because of gall bladder symptoms. I don't know what it will show, presumably gallstones, or what the doctor will recommend. I've had attacks for years, but didn't associate them with my gallbladder until I described my symptoms to my wife, and she said it sounded like gallbladder problems.

I have found some symptomatic relief by following the advice on gallbladderattack.com, and, boy, am I eating a lot of beets now.

So, if any of you have had gallbladder troubles, I'd like to hear your advice, particularly alternatives to surgery.

Last edited:
Do not be too concerned about the surgery, this is a fairly simple and routine procedure, you are in and out in the same day, choose your surgeon by talking to nurses or people that the surgeon has operated on, once you have gallstones all you can do is attempt to mask the symptoms, you will have surgery, it is a matter of time and how pain tolerant you are,

I suffered with gall stones for years. I would get a few attacks per year. They would be painfull for a few hours then fade away. Then about 10 years ago I started having the attacks every night for a week. That was all I could stand. I went to the doctor and had the ultra sound which as you know is painless,and he confirmed that I had gall boulders. They don't get smaller or go away on their own. The only way to get rid of them is to have them and the gall bladder removed. I had the surgery which is same day laproscopic, which means like 3 very small holes and a slice by your belly button, then they yank that stuff out and send you home. And you will never have another attack. Funny how the older you get , the more things in your own body want to attack you.,,

Ultrasound may not show anything especially if there are no real gall stones. Mine didn't. A HIDA scan should be the next step then to evaluate your gallbladder. If the bile ejection fraction is below 35%, I think it is, then it's getting time for it to come out. Nothing you can do about that. Mine was 18-23% can't remember exactly.
Info

Originally Posted By: cdeason
Do not be too concerned about the surgery, this is a fairly simple and routine procedure, you are in and out in the same day, choose your surgeon by talking to nurses or people that the surgeon has operated on, once you have gallstones all you can do is attempt to mask the symptoms, you will have surgery, it is a matter of time and how pain tolerant you are,

My wife had it done a few years ago, and I waited. I've had oil changes take longer! She was in and out in a couple hours and had no ill effects except weak and sore for a few days. I guess it is no big deal if it's done arthoscopically (if that's the word).

John

I agree with others that the surgery is routine, however, there is one big danger that happened to my wife several years ago you need to be aware of. A gallstone had blocked the duct in her pancreas causing it (the pancreas) to inflame.

For 5 days she was in the hospital in great pain and was given no food, and only a few ice chips to keep her throat/mouth moist until the inflammation went down. Anything you take by mouth activates the pancreas which would have made her situation much worse and potentially life threatening.

Once the inflammation went down and the surgery was done her recovery was routine. I know her's was a rare situation, but just be aware of the risk that the stone can move and block the pancreas.

Yeah don't worry about surgery. My dad had his removed last December, was walking around after a few hours and we went to dinner that evening. (He ate Jello) haha

Just read an article yesterday about various surgeries. A few tips, research the surgeon, hospital and avoid the month of July when all the med students flood the teaching hospitals. The rates for serious complications sky rocket during that month. That is all and say some extra prayers.
smile.gif

Had my gallbladder taken out a few years ago. 3 small holes, a couple hours and I was back home with some cool pictures of the boulders that were in there. Went to work right after the 3 day post op check up (against dr orders of course). A week later I was better then new.

Originally Posted By: cdeason

I have not had the procedure, but have had others. cdeason is very much correct- talk to the nurses and doctors. I'm very lucky to know a few nurses, and I'm here to say that it's a HUGE vote of confidence to hear a nurse telling you that Dr So and So is the one that he or she would want running the knife. And believe me, there are some surgens that the nurses wouldn't want standing over them with a scalpel.

Thanks, guys, for all the advice and encouragement. Very helpful, and means a lot. I got the insurance approval for the ultrasound today, so pretty soon I'll know how things look. I've been following an almost zero fat diet for a few days, along with the beet-lemon-juice-flax oil recipe on gallbladderattack.com, and I have had significant relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back