New 2013 Ford F-150 with 5.0L V-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
Thanks Indylan. You answered one of my questions. Things have changed a little since my last new vehicle purchase. I've never dealt with incentives. I never financed a vehicle with a dealer and hence I never qualified for their finance rebates. My last few vehicles had no rebates on when I purchased them. I wasn't sure the rebate/incentives, and the nice prices associated with them, were in lieu of negotiating. So should this be my process: determine what what my bottom line price would be without the rebates (as if they didn't exist), and then add the rebates on top of it to come up with a final figure.

That's pretty much how I've done it in the past. Again, the rebates/incentives were my question marks. Also, I just received a call from a local dealer that has a new 2013 with the 5.0l v8 and the tow package, exactly what I was looking for. I mentioned earlier, the Jeep being the exception, we normally keep our vehicles 10 or more years so it being a year old is not much of a factor for me except for pricing. I know several on this thread earlier gave their opinion on what I should expect to pay for a new 2013 now, but I still can't get a good feel for it. More opinions would be great and a big help. How much would others expect to get off sticker for a new 2013 F150 now?

Hard to tell without knowing were you actually live and without a window sticker.

That being said anything less than 6 grand I would be disappointed. I gave you advice on how to do get a very good price without stepping foot into a dealership. You have to do some work on your own.

Depending on the model you can get Silverados anywhere from $8k to $13k off sticker. GM is pushing All Star packaged 4x4's with the V6 hard now, really hard. Must want to get their CAFE ratings up.

I'd expect a similar deal on the outgoing F150, remind the Ford dealer that in a few months no one is going to want it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Hard to tell without knowing were you actually live and without a window sticker.

That being said anything less than 6 grand I would be disappointed. I gave you advice on how to do get a very good price without stepping foot into a dealership. You have to do some work on your own.

Sorry Dave1251. My above post was supposed to be a reply to your quote/response, not a reply to my own post. I have always used Edmunds, Carprice, NADA, etc... when researching and pricing new vehicles. If I was buying a 2014, the pricing would be easier to come up with. I agree with exactly what you wrote earlier. Again, my dilemma is knowing how to calculate a new 2013 price now, given half the 2014 model year is over. For instance, the dealer I referenced above just got off the phone with me. The best he was able to do was invoice (not sure about their numbers) minus the rebates/incentives. That's probably not much, if any, better than I could have done in 2013. Maybe I'm wrong but I expected more of a discount for a 2013 model. That's a reason I'm asking opinions of those that have purchased a one year old new vehicle. For this 2013 F-150, MSRP is $33,585. Invoice is $30,401. Rebates/Incentives are $3750. Their lowest price is $27,030. Would anyone expect more of a discount than that? Maybe I'm just looking at this all wrong and expecting way more than I should.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the new electronic steering better?

Only better if it does not [censored] out. I have read reports that the steering as failed, & then its a real bear to turn the wheel. Having said that, I have it on my `13 Mustang GT, so I`m hoping for the best.

Thanks Indylan. You answered one of my questions. Things have changed a little since my last new vehicle purchase. I've never dealt with incentives. I never financed a vehicle with a dealer and hence I never qualified for their finance rebates. My last few vehicles had no rebates on when I purchased them. I wasn't sure the rebate/incentives, and the nice prices associated with them, were in lieu of negotiating. So should this be my process: determine what what my bottom line price would be without the rebates (as if they didn't exist), and then add the rebates on top of it to come up with a final figure.

Sounds like a good plan. Also I did have a look at their rebates offered right now and they sure try to make it complicated... And they don't add up to too much off, 3-4k, if you finance and trade in there, and break a competitors lease, blah blah blah... The 14's have basically the same rebates too. If there's 1000's of 13's left when the 15's come out, maybe they will get serious and knock $6-8-10k off, no strings attached? If you can wait, that might be the best strategy? Maybe some guys on a pickup forum would know your market and what's possible.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Sorry Dave1251. My above post was supposed to be a reply to your quote/response, not a reply to my own post. I have always used Edmunds, Carprice, NADA, etc... when researching and pricing new vehicles. If I was buying a 2014, the pricing would be easier to come up with. I agree with exactly what you wrote earlier. Again, my dilemma is knowing how to calculate a new 2013 price now, given half the 2014 model year is over. For instance, the dealer I referenced above just got off the phone with me. The best he was able to do was invoice (not sure about their numbers) minus the rebates/incentives. That's probably not much, if any, better than I could have done in 2013. Maybe I'm wrong but I expected more of a discount for a 2013 model. That's a reason I'm asking opinions of those that have purchased a one year old new vehicle. For this 2013 F-150, MSRP is $33,585. Invoice is $30,401. Rebates/Incentives are $3750. Their lowest price is $27,030. Would anyone expect more of a discount than that? Maybe I'm just looking at this all wrong and expecting way more than I should.

I apologize. Really 27,000 dollars is not a bad deal at all. This puts it in the price range of a used XLT Supercrew with around 30,000 miles. I would directly email the sales manager and offer less around 25K to see if he will bite. Maybe the dealership will just want to get the truck off the lot. Good luck!

Just a follow up and final thanks for those that posted in this thread. Finally gave up on the Ford since they claimed they couldn't move any more. Broadened the search with other makes. Looked at a nice, but pricey Chevy and found some nicely discounted Dodge Rams with the 5.7l Hemi. I ended up with a 2014 Nissan Frontier. I hadn't considered them earlier because I was so focused on a full size P/U for towing. Turns out the Frontier has the same engine our Xterra does (I'm very familiar with it and have done all maintenance, plugs, serpentine belt, etc... on it since new), has 265 HP and is rated for 6500 lbs.ntowing, which is, at this time, 3X what I needed (likely to change in the future). And, I have everything on hand now for any basic maintenance it might need. Not a sexy pic but after thinking it over, it was the right fit for our needs and more affordable. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Is the new electronic steering better?

It is not really better as much as different. Electric power steering was put in to help with fuel economy. The older style hydraulic pump system put a drag on the engine which robbed power and a little bit of fuel efficiency. Also you wont ever have to worry about leaky hydraulic hoses or pumps. One less fluid to discover on your garage floor.

Plus, on a Ford, it won't whine when the vehicle hits 5 years old!

I ended up with a 2014 Nissan Frontier. I hadn't considered them earlier because I was so focused on a full size P/U for towing. Turns out the Frontier has the same engine our Xterra does (I'm very familiar with it and have done all maintenance, plugs, serpentine belt, etc... on it since new), has 265 HP and is rated for 6500 lbs.ntowing, which is, at this time, 3X what I needed (likely to change in the future).

Great pick. There's three Frontiers in the parking lot here at the office. It will likely serve you well, and do everything that you need it to do.

And your logic is the same reason why I'll likely replace one of my full size GM trucks with a new GMC Canyon with the V6. I'll know for sure once I can sit in and drive one.

Brought the Frontier home last night. The 4.0l with the 265 HP really pushes this truck. Always done a great job in the Xterra as well. Plenty of power and acceleration. I enjoyed Jeep Wrangler Unlimited but the lack of power and the shift points in the transmission were frustrating to me, as well as the lower tow ratings.

Brought the Frontier home last night. The 4.0l with the 265 HP really pushes this truck. Always done a great job in the Xterra as well. Plenty of power and acceleration. I enjoyed Jeep Wrangler Unlimited but the lack of power and the shift points in the transmission were frustrating to me, as well as the lower tow ratings.

What configuration did you get? Auto/manual?

^^^I suspect it's an auto since he commented on shift points/programming.

I also congratulate the OP on being open minded and getting what he wanted no matter the branding. For those who can use a smaller truck his choice seems like a good one. I like that the drivetrain is a bit 'aged' and thus holds few surprises for him...

Miller88, it was the auto. SteveSRT8, that's exactly right. I felt I knew what to expect from this power plant and drive train. It's proven to be extremely reliable for us in the Xterra. Except for trip to the dealership for a small warranty issue, our nine year old Xterra has never rolled into a dealer's service bay for anything. I pray I'm as fortunate with this one. Thanks for the responses.

I know someone with about 135k on an 06 pathfinder with little problems other than the gas gauge, which I guess had an extended warranty. I drove it, man is that gas pedal touchy. Took some getting used to, but nice truck.

If I ever get around to buying another truck, ill look at the 5.0 Ford crew cab, or possibly GM (GM card rebate hard to beat). However my 11 year old tundra with 53k, good tires, and new timing belt probably has at least another 20 years to go. Just wish it had a back seat. Though I dont think I like driving a truck regularly...to much trouble to park.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
I know someone with about 135k on an 06 pathfinder with little problems other than the gas gauge, which I guess had an extended warranty. I drove it, man is that gas pedal touchy. Took some getting used to, but nice truck.

If I ever get around to buying another truck, ill look at the 5.0 Ford crew cab, or possibly GM (GM card rebate hard to beat). However my 11 year old tundra with 53k, good tires, and new timing belt probably has at least another 20 years to go. Just wish it had a back seat. Though I dont think I like driving a truck regularly...to much trouble to park.

My wife and had a 2002 Tundra Extended Cab with the 4.7L V8. What a sweet ride. Had it for 10 years and got rid of it to get the Jeep I just got rid of to get the Frontier. Our Tundra only had 92k miles on it. I looked at Ford F150s and Chevy/GMC 1500s as well before buying the Nissan Frontier. Went with the Frontier for reasons mentioned above. Don't think I would have been disappointed in owning any of them, except for maybe the difference in price.

My friends new F150 with the 5.0 developed a knock that got louder and louder and around 12,000 miles ford replaced the short block. I don't think that is a common issue or anything but like all manufacturers you can run into an issue. If somebody held a gun to my head and made me buy a ford I would rather get the 5.0 than the ecoboost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back