VW Passat- Amsoil does not make a gear lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2014 VW Passat that I love with the 5 speed manual shift and although Amsoil makes an approved motor oil, they don't have an approved gear lube. I like Amsoil gear lubes ever since the first change I put in my 1983 Ford Ranger 4 speed manual pickup. Does anyone know if Amsoil plans on making a gear lube for my Passat?

I went with redline in my 5spd 99 Golf and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
I second the use of Redline. Looks like you may need a GL-4 synthetic lubricant that's similar to Audi/VW Part number G 052 512 A2.

Originally Posted By: smokey422
We have a 2014 VW Passat that I love with the 5 speed manual shift and although Amsoil makes an approved motor oil, they don't have an approved gear lube. I like Amsoil gear lubes ever since the first change I put in my 1983 Ford Ranger 4 speed manual pickup. Does anyone know if Amsoil plans on making a gear lube for my Passat?

What engine code is yours?

I'll should be able to get you the correct specs

I've tried RL MT90, RP maxgear, Motul 300v and Motul Motylgear 10w-40 GL-4 in my '03 passat. The motylgear is the smoothest and seems to work just was well as stock in cold weather. The RL gave me a pretty crunchy 1-2 shift. The RP was smooth but was no good below 50F. 10w-40 is the same viscosity as 75w-90, but it can be used as motor oil as well as gear oil whereas the 75w-90 can not be used in a motor.

Originally Posted By: smokey422

VW requires either G060 or G070.... I've lost track of the VW specs for gear lubes).

If the 2014 1.8T still uses the 02J tranny.... I've had good experience using Amsoil's MTG on my old 02 Golf TDI with the 02J tranny. It's a 75W90 GL-4 oil.

I think grains got it right, on the VW parts system there are only two oils listed for the 5 speed manual

>> 03 11 3 - G052512a2 which is a 75W GL4 - Febi part number 21829

04 11 3 >> - G052527a2 which I can't find data on at the mo

Looks like it depends on your chassis number as to which one is suitable

Hi Smokey

If have access for Liqui Moly is very good oil, its the 4th year voted the best oil from 3 different magazine in Germany. Its a German made and I use it for both my 2 cars, I have Seat Leon FR TDI 2.0L 220hp remapped and eliminated the dpf filter because in my country it gets blocked, its a VW group they have the same engines, transmission and chassis. Liqui moly they have what ever you need, engine, transmission, brake fluid oils and very good additives that really works especially the engine and transmission ones. The other car is a Honda integra type r turbo 500hp on pump fuel. I've used everything I mentioned above and I do everything myself.
Here an example what me and my friends experienced. Do ever imagine a Honda integra turbo at 38psi average of 800hp with c16 fuel, at the 1/4mile engine raving @ 9000rpm, after a boost cut broke the oil pump and we didn't notes and raved it again up to 6000rpm and we knew that some thing happened, because the vtec wasn't working. Then after about 5 minutes or more, we were trying to figuring out the that was come from the timing belt side. Then we took a look at the oil pressure gauge and saw the pressure on "0", and said the engine is ruined.
Then we went the garage and dismantled the engine and fund the oil pump in pieces then
after we saw the crank, main bearing and rod bearing we were speechless, nothing happened all the bearing were like new, YOU wont believe it!! before I didn't believe such a product like this existed. Product called (Ceratec)of Liqui moly. If any body thus not belive all I can say send me an email address to post you few pictures. Than if you still don't believe, I don't know what to say!!

Regards
Ivan

Why can't you use Amsoil's synchromesh fluid? It is just a bit thicker but would work just fine.

I used Redline MT-90 in my A4 and it was horrible in the winter. I was going to do Amsoil but figured if that didn't work out I didn't want to switch again so I just used OEM fluid and it is a night and day difference. With the redline I couldn't shift into 2nd if the temps dropped to 20 or lower until the fluid warmed up without a fight. Now, no problems. I use Amsoil in the diffs and engine with no problems.

Originally Posted By: Wheel366
I used Redline MT-90 in my A4 and it was horrible in the winter. I was going to do Amsoil but figured if that didn't work out I didn't want to switch again so I just used OEM fluid and it is a night and day difference. With the redline I couldn't shift into 2nd if the temps dropped to 20 or lower until the fluid warmed up without a fight. Now, no problems. I use Amsoil in the diffs and engine with no problems.

Redline MTL would have been the appropriate fluid, not MT90.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Not if the motor sits longitudinal and uses a spiral bevel gear in the transmission.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Not if the motor sits longitudinal and uses a spiral bevel gear in the transmission.

Audi/VW use very thin OEM MTF. Usually under 7 cSt at 100C. Redline MTL is much closer to that than MT90.

My '03 passat requires a 75w-90, around 14 cst. MTL is a 70w-80. The engines that sit transverse do use the thin gear oil in the tranny.

Last edited:
My '03 passat requires a 75w-90, around 14 cst. MTL is a 70w-80. The engines that sit transverse do use the thin gear oil in the tranny.

They spec 75w-90. They do not use 75W-90. This has been gone over thousands of times. Check the UOA/VOAS of the VW/Audi fluids. They are nowhere near 75W-90.

Fuchs 75W FE is rebottled as the OEM fluid unless something has changed again.

I had a voa done of the G052-911 which is correct for my car that I bought at the dealer and it was 14.5 cst. There are quite a few different VW G052-XXX fluids.

My VOA

Last edited:

Volkswagen Gear Oil Specifications - http://www.oilspecifications.org/volkswagen.php

VW G 052 911
Audi specification for transmissions used with longitudinal engine configurations. Products meeting this specification are of SAE 75W90 viscosity and also meet API GL-5 criteria.

Look up the fluids that meet that spec:

http://www.fuchs-europe.com/products/lubricants-motors-machinery/gear-oils/gear-oils-passenger0.html

http://www.eurol.com/en/37-products/3129-eurol-mtf-75w-80-gl5.html

http://news.blauparts.com/20140505-prerelease-vw-gearbox-oil-g-052-911-a2

As you can see, VW/Audi will say 75W-90 in the user manual and other places but their actual performance specs for the fluids are much thinner. This seems to be typical for all modern VW/Audis out there. Thicker fluids from all the major euro fluid makers (75W90) do not meet the VW spec.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back