How long is lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Toyota IV is "lifetime", why does the pan have a drain plug? (at least mine does) Yes, the Aisian Warners transmissions are very good - but I still change mine every 50-70K in mine.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I've heard that cars are engineered to last 150,000-180,000 miles. As the OP's experience confirmed, quality ATF/tranny combo can last for that long. Common sense tells us trannies will last even longer with clean fluid. I recently changed ATF and filter in yaris at 66,000 miles and the OEM fluid (WS) was remarkably clean and little debris in the pan. But, being a BITOGer I feel better now.

I just replaced the fluid in a 07 Yaris (95k miles) and the original fluid was black and quite obviously shot.

If I had a do-again I'd change the fluid about when you did.

I don't buy lifetime fluid arguements. My 05 F250 calls for 30K fluid/filter changes----I grant you that transmission is working harder just hauling 7K pounds of truck around than a corolla ever has. That being said, just for the purpose of removing wear materials it seems like changing it is worthwhile. Maybe throw a magnefine on it when you change it and the pan filter and call it good?

"They" say Toyota fluid runs a darker color than your typical dex/mer red. Plausibly, they went off of this.

Never assume malfeasance when inexperience is the excuse.
wink.gif

When I worked at a tire shop we had this little blotter paper we were supposed to put dabs of various fluids on so the service writer could show the customer "X" was no good.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
If Toyota IV is "lifetime", why does the pan have a drain plug? (at least mine does) Yes, the Aisian Warners transmissions are very good - but I still change mine every 50-70K in mine.

It has a drain plug to drain the fluid if you're operating under non-normal (extreme) conditions.

Wish I did change it every 50k miles but that bird has flown.

Lifetime can mean (100k miles) or until it stops working. Lifetime also means "normal driving conditions". I'm surprised Tokyo doesn't have a severe service interval like ZF.

I'm beginning to think ATF changes are largely over rated. My moms Rav4 and my sisters Corolla are both low mileage vehicles but will never be touched until trade in.

My buddies two 722.6 transmissions have only had one fluid change and are both used to tow, one has 100k on it the other 240k and both are strong. The 240k one towed extensively.

Marine gear boxes like my twin disc hardly ever call for fluid changes.

GM calls for 100k on their trucks and vans and that's mostly ignored. It doesn't seem to affect the failure rate either way.

I think Mercedes might have the right idea, change it once when its fairly new, and never again until something mechanical fails and its rebuild time. That's kind of what I'm doing with my truck, I did it twice, last at 90k and I have no plans to do it again. For what it cost me to pay a shop to change it every say 30k I'll be pretty close to the cost of a rebuild, more so if I bet it won't fail until I sell it. My next truck I never plan on changing any drive line fluids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Lifetime = until the warranty is up.

This^

Change the fluid via drain bolt and refill the same amount you drained.

Easier than an oil change.

Toyota's seem to have long lived transmissions. What do they do differently? More clutch material? Better parts? I dunno. I'm not sure I'd disregard fluid changes. Clutch material goes into the fluid, and with "flex lockup" that means lots of material goes into the fluid. And with flex lockup or just running unlocked means high trans temps.

I'm probably the exception though. Most would just put their foot into it, and let the trans downshifts on hills, and not a second thought. Me, I ride the throttle and avoid the shift, and perhaps I'm more abusive to the trans than most--lots of low rpm usage, the region where the convertor has poor coupling. I also think a trans should last 250k easily.

My 2014 Mustang GT with the automatic tranny supposedly has "lifetime" fluid in it. Ford makes it almost impossible for the DIY'er to change the fluid in these 6R80 transmissions. Small dipstick only accessable from under the car and the car has to be level, no drain plug for the pan, and the tranny fluid has to be at a certain temp. to be checked correctly.

The Ford dealership that I have used before recommends 50,000 mile changes without dropping the pan or changing the filter. He called it a flush but I would hope it's really a fluid exchange. It also costs about $220 to have it done.

Originally Posted By: wtd
My 2014 Mustang GT with the automatic tranny supposedly has "lifetime" fluid in it. Ford makes it almost impossible for the DIY'er to change the fluid in these 6R80 transmissions. Small dipstick only accessable from under the car and the car has to be level, no drain plug for the pan, and the tranny fluid has to be at a certain temp. to be checked correctly.

I would always let the entire car reach ambient temperature, empty the fluid into a pan, then use a graduated cylinder to know how much fluid I took out. I would then quickly fill the transmission.

As for the dipstick in a dumb location, you would need to get a pump that you screw into your containers.

I did that to my car a few months ago, and it works perfectly.

Toyota's have the same sort of thing, sans dipstick but with drain plug. At least for my Tundra there is a procedure where you can get the dash to blink some light when the trans is at temp; but many are fine with reading the trans temp from a Scanguage. Using the cooler lines to get fluid in/out seems like a great way; I tried that and had had mixed results, mostly because I didn't plug off the return line. But it wasn't that bad.

Only thing that kinda bugs me is that I swear the worst fluid was in the bottom of the pan, the stuff that doesn't circulate. I was kinda happy to do all the work necessary to get that out.

As for replacing the fluid: I'd think that the replacement ATF would have to be at the same temp too. Otherwise it's not at the same density, and thus... it has to matter, or they wouldn't have it checked at a particular temperature.

I finally broke down and bought a fluid extractor and pulled out 700mL of fluid from the Rav4 at 265,000 miles. Replaced it with 700mL of Toyota T-IV. Will send a sample to Blackstone on Monday.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I finally broke down and bought a fluid extractor and pulled out 700mL of fluid from the Rav4 at 265,000 miles. Replaced it with 700mL of Toyota T-IV. Will send a sample to Blackstone on Monday.

Keep us updated.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I know a guy that owns his own auto repair facility and he also said to let the trannys be; they should make it to 300k miles.

A friend of mine bought a nice looking Corolla at 199K miles; at 200K the transmission died. The Corolla had a full service record that did not include ATF because it was a "lifetime" fluid.

I considered that my wake-up call, looked up my Corolla and same thing, lifetime fill, but I started drain and fills immediately. Now I do one every oil change.

I got some disc brake rotors one with a lifetime guarantee. But when they got radial cracks in them after a year the seller told me the lifetime only applied while in the box and until they were installed.

Raybestos Brute Stop rotors and Rockauto.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
... the seller told me the lifetime only applied while in the box and until they were installed.

You're joking... right?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
... the seller told me the lifetime only applied while in the box and until they were installed.

You're joking... right?

No I am not. I couldn't believe it.

Last time I will ever spend big money on rotors. Now I just go to AutoZone and get their Chinese ones with the best warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back