Simple safety lock for Fumoto valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased the hose clamp safety lock from Fumoto when I got the valve. It's a bear to get the hose clamp on or off with a pair of pliers. I found it was much easier to just use a small electrical tie wrap and snug it up in the slot just above the lever. You can thread the tie wrap before getting under the car and then just pull it into place once it is installed over the top of the valve. Cost, $3 per hundred oil changes.

valve_with_tie_wrap.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
What's keeping that from falling off?

It's tightened into the groove for the lever. That isn't coming out without assistance from something sharp.

I have been using Fumoto valves for 25+ years. The "safety" issue is a non issue. In order for the lever to be tripped by accident, it would involve so much damage to the vehicle itself that it wouldn't matter anymore.

BTW - never a leak. I can do 10 minute oil changes with white gloves.

Technically, the tie rap is in a slot that is cut into 90 degrees of the valve body. This is the slot in which the lever travels.

Originally Posted By: Rand
its in a groove. look closer

Last edited:
In the heat here in Arizona, it's hard to keep zip ties alive for very long. Probably wouldn't last very long on a 200+ degree oil pan. I could be totally wrong.

I'd use a small hose clamp that can easily be taken off with a flathead screwdriver. They're like $2.99 for a 4 pack.

I've got Fumoto valves on both our vehicles. Nothing on either one as a safety precaution. Too many years to count and not one leak from either one and both are still functioning as if they were new.

Edit: Just have a Fumoto valve on the Xteraa since I sold the Jeep and replaced it with the Nissan Frontier. After my free oil changes are over on the Frontier, it will get a Fumoto valve as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
I've got Fumoto valves on both our vehicles. Nothing on either one as a safety precaution. Too many years to count and not one leak from either one and both are still functioning as if they were new.

Had one on for over 20 years on one vehicle, never leaked and never had to use a tie or a cap on the end. Any dirt in the end would simply rinse out at drain time anyway so why bother. Used these on many vehicles over the years and never had an issue. Pretty much bullet proof.

The Fumoto I had on a Jeep Liberty Diesel that saw a LOT of off road never opened. The Fumoto on one of my semi trucks, for almost 1 million miles, never opened. The same for the semi truck after that. And now my 2013 Silverado that gets sticks, cornstalks, and just about everything else wedged in the suspension and skid plates going off road has never opened. And NONE of them ever had the safety clip on.

We have had Fumoto valves here since the 80's, they are used in our equipment that has oil such as Cat pumps and Positive Displacement blowers.

We ran them on our trucks as well for decades and never have experienced a leak or any type of failure. They seem bulletproof. One of my idiot workers once drove over a HUGE decorative rock in a clients yard, tore off the driveshaft, damaged the trans case, and destroyed the cast oil pan but the fumoto never opened.

That said I have removed them from all my engines as they slow the drain speed too much and do not 'flush' the pan out as the full size opening does.

Originally Posted By: Mfrank84

Edit: Just have a Fumoto valve on the Xterra since I sold the Jeep and replaced it with the Nissan Frontier. After my free oil changes are over on the Frontier, it will get a Fumoto valve as well.

After thinking about it, we won't be using the free oil changes. Fumoto valve ordered this morning for the Frontier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back