Goodyear Eagle LS-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tires in subject came OE on my car in signature. Just when I thought Goodyear couldn't do worse than RSAs...boy, was I wrong. I'm about 1200 miles into these, and they rank near the bottom of OE tires I've driven on. They are soft, squishy, noisy, handle poorly, and occasionally vibrate at highway speeds. I can't really say much positive about them, other than they seem to do OK in rain at highway speeds. I've already had the dealer RoadForce balance them, due to a vibration around 70 mph. They said some were out of spec, but they still aren't perfect. They still randomly vibrate around 70 -- not always -- and not severely -- but enough to be a nuisance. I started reading reviews, and found this on Tirerack:

OEM tire from GM, and it's horrible. Within the first 5,000 miles the tires started vibrating at highway speed. Rebalancing didn't help. Was determined that the tire sidewalls were not flexing evenly when loaded, essentially making them go out-of-round when at highway speed. At 70mph they felt exceptionally bouncy and shuddered the whole truck. Some internet research revealed that I wasn't alone with this problem. I have a very short commute so I lived with the problem until I could justify spending the bucks to get real tires.

That's exactly what I experience, except mine aren't as severe. It barely wiggles the steering wheel. I can't believe they put these same tires as OE on full-size trucks!

I really would like to replace these soon, but I do plan to buy a separate winter set. I'll probably drive them until they wear. Yes, they are worse than the OE GY RSAs I had on my last sedan.

Are OEM tires ever good on regular cars?
Maybe on ultra high performance or really expensive cars, but on regular vehicles the tires are always garbage in my findings.

Welcome to my world.....

The previous generation of these, the Eagle LS's were complete and utter [censored].
They were the OEM on my Villager, only to be replaced by my didn't know any better father for Assurance Fuel Max's, which were even worse and after 3 years, had to be replaced for the Current Assurance Confortread Touring's, which are marginally better.

I have no idea why, but it seems everything Goodyear makes is [censored], I was never a any tire brand fan boy, but after Firestone's 500/721/Wilderness AT fustercluck, Most of Goodyear's popular tires are junk, out of round, sidewall bulging, no wet grip wastes of money, Its been a revelation with the Primacy MXV4's I put on my Taurus.

also keep in mind, the OE tire, and it's "twin"(labeled the same) you pick up down at the local tire barn, probably are NOT (strictly speaking) the same tire. generally the OE units are more cheaply made. (built to a contracted price point)

you may have vastly different results if you replaced them with the same tire from your avg tire dealer.

also the same tire can feel like utter [censored] on one model, but be awesome on a different model car.

this is why, when shopping for tires, I always Make sure to look for reviews from folks with the same car, in a similar Climate to where i live.

that all being said, the last 2 times i've bought tires, I ended up with Pirelli's, and they were great both times...

Bridgestone Insignia SE200s were original equipment on some GM cars. Reviews all said the OE tire was garbage, but if you bought it from a firestone they were great.

I bought a set for my Taurus from a firestone store. They were HORRIBLE

VW had a TSB on them about 10 years ago in regards to their horrible wear.

The Michelin Energy MVX4 Plus weren't that bad on my 02 Golf TDI
The Michelin's (thinking XGT4)that came on my parent's old 94 Corolla were also decent.
The Goodyear Eagle something on my parent's old 93 Caravan were garbage, and were replaced by Michelin X-radial.

The Pirelli P6 4-season that came on my Passat were also utter garbage

I find Goodyear truck tires to be pretty worthless as well. I will not purchase Goodyear for anything other then the gator back belts. I have had good luck with those.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

But the P6 4-Seasons that came on my mom's 09 Taurus,(and the '09 Sable I just bought in Jan) have been superb.
The Set on the Taurus were just replaced (with the same tire) last Summer,after dad had a Slight SLIGHT Hydroplane while on the HW to see My brother in TX. and were just starting to get noisy around 57k mi.
The set on my Sable were Replaced(with the same tire) just before i bought the car at around 69k mi. and they've handled everything this winter has thrown at us with flying colors.

see, just because a tire sucks on car a, doesn't mean it will suck on car b.

Also to note, these are almost the least expensive tire in this size: 225/50/18. It's a safe assumption that if a Goodyear tire is cheap, it's not going to be good. All their "good" tires are towards the top of the price range. Assurance Comfortred Touring are +$64/tire vs. these LS-2s. I was hoping they would be "out-of-round", so I could warranty them on replacements. That once happened to me with the set of GY SRAs. Maybe I should check a GY dealer.

Last edited:
I was just going to let this thread slide on down, but then ......

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: earlyre
generally the OE units are more cheaply made. (built to a contracted price point)

I would love to hear Capri's response to this statement ...

OK, here goes.

Sorry, but even though OEM's get a great price, it isn't the manufacturing cost that causes everyone to think OE tires aren't very good. I go into much more detail here:

Barry's Tire Tech - OE Tires

Short version: What causes everyone to think that OE tires are "poor quality" is the performance - which is dictated by the specs the OEM writes. They are typically biased towards fuel economy, which means they sacrifice treadwear and/or traction to get that.

And how about the cost the OEM pays? The OEM's are really good at driving the cost they pay down. They have buyers who do nothing but negotiate prices. Their job performance depends on their ability to keep the costs as low as possible. Besides, who wouldn't want business where you had to deliver thousands of items on a regular schedule to the same place over the period of 3 years (or more!) - as opposed to waiting for an order of a hundred or so on an irregular basis and having them delivered randomly anywhere within the US.

There is just no way to get the cost out of a tire AND meet the OEM's specs. Not to mention that except for the tread compounds, OE tires are built identically as other tires are - in the same factories, on the same equipment, using the same materials, etc.

I also noticed this:

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
......and occasionally vibrate at highway speeds.......I've already had the dealer RoadForce balance them, due to a vibration around 70 mph. They said some were out of spec, but they still aren't perfect. They still randomly vibrate around 70 -- not always -- and not severely -- but enough to be a nuisance.........

Then I noticed this:

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
......I was hoping they would be "out-of-round", so I could warranty them on replacements....

First, if the vibration is random, then it isn't a wheel end vibration. Those will always be there at a given speed.

Second, if they were "RoadForced" and found to be "Out-of-Spec", then they are out of round (that's what RoadForcing is about) and warrantable.

And lastly, if the dealer RoadForced them and found them out of spec, why didn't they do the warranty replacement himself or, at least, send you to a Goodyear dealer to fix the problem?

I suspect there is something else going on - and the dealer just doesn't want to deal with it.

Last edited:
All Oe tires I have seen that were not on dedicated performance cars met two criteria: low rolling resistance & wearing like iron. All else was sacrificed. The Assurances on my Magnum were terrible: fair to poor traction, incredibly loud, and not terribly stable...but they had legal tread with 70,000+ miles.

Apparently, I must of offended you when I expressed my opinion of the garbage Pirelli P6 4-season tires.

But the P6 4-Seasons that came on my mom's 09 Taurus,(and the '09 Sable I just bought in Jan) have been superb.
The Set on the Taurus were just replaced (with the same tire) last Summer,after dad had a Slight SLIGHT Hydroplane while on the HW to see My brother in TX. and were just starting to get noisy around 57k mi.
The set on my Sable were Replaced(with the same tire) just before i bought the car at around 69k mi. and they've handled everything this winter has thrown at us with flying colors.

Apparently, I must of offended you when I expressed my opinion of the garbage Pirelli P6 4-season tires.

Not really,but maybe a little. I take issue with caling them garbage, when maybe they just weren't properly suited for your model/climate/driving style, etc.
My point,that you might have missed,is that the same tire can be worlds different on a different Model car.
Just like a pair of Shoes that fit you "like a glove" and are the most comfortable thing you've ever worn, might hurt my Feet.
but that doesn't mean i should call them garbage.

The P6 4-season were garbage to me. They squealed on every turn, so, they didn't inspire any confidence on my commute (with lots of curvy roads), and when a pothole caused a sidewall bubble, I was more than glad to ge them replaced.

Heck... my snow tires inspired more confidence on dry roads than the Pirellis.
This is comparing a set of Nokian Hakkapeliita RSI's in the early spring to when I had the P6 4-season in the fall & late spring.

My much more affordable Kumho ECSTA Platinum LX handled better, was quieter, and never suffered a sidewall buldge from hitting bigger potholes, with a thinner sidewall (as it was 235/40r18 vs the Pirelli on 235/45r17).

So, yes, in my experience, my opinion they were garbage tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back