Next year's car models out too early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I've always tried to wrap my head around this. For example, we really aren't that far into 2014. About a month ago I saw a 2015 Chevy Tahoe or Suburban driving around. Since then I've seen a few. Why do they release next years models so early? I mean even in June and July you can get the next years model of most cars.

Around here one's excise tax rate decrements every year based on model year. Someone who buys next years' model will pay "a little bit more" every year until it bottoms out at five years old.

Releasing of vehicles has little to do with the calendar year. If the model change is drastic enough at release time you advance to the next model year.

^ yeah and when they did the new F150 they make them in about four plants so they had a "heritage edition" still being stamped out concurrently.

And they thought the 58 Edsel out in September was too early.What about the Mustang in April 64?

There's a psychological aspect that plays into this too I think. Some people have to have the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out. Others feel if they buy a 2015 several months before the end of 2014 they're driving a new car longer. lol The auto companies know what they're doing, and if it hurt sales they wouldn't be doing it.

They can sell it as a 2015 if it's the vehicle that will be in production 1/1/2015.

I'm sure we'll start seeing cars that are out 2 MY ahead of what year it is ... to claim it's "new"

Isn't really just about fiscal years? I believe most companies run July to June for their fiscal year.

As long as its only one year in advance I am OK. Now if the 2016 comes out in 2014 that would be a little crazy.

Its a free country, everyone knows the model year comes out early. As long as someone can determine the actual date of manufacture then who really cares.

Bringing out 2015 models seems ridiculous. I can see a couple months; but we are barely more than a couple months into 2014. So it's really a 2014 model, since come April next year they will have 2016's--meaning, the 2014 model will have been sold mostly during calendar year 2014. Perhaps that should be the definition: model year has to be whatever calendar year it was sold the most in. In which case, perhaps they aren't planning on refreshing for a longer time than usual?

In the end it's just another model number/name designator. So I don't really care. Although it's going to complicate things, as when you go to buy a 5 year old used 2015 model it's actually six years old not five, and ought to be cheaper as a result.

seen the Commercials yet for the "all new 2014.5 Camry"?

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...2014.5-camry%3F

From an AutoTrader Article comparing it with the 2014 Accord:
"2014.5 Toyota Camry
Notice the half-year designation for the Camry? That's because Toyota made changes designed to improve the car's crash-test performance, effective with models built after December 2013. Toyota also expanded the popular SE trim level to include new SE Sport and SE Hybrid variants"

Was wondering where this 2014.5 Camry was coming from. Too bad I wasn't shopping, I'd be tempted to get a 2014.0 Camry since it's so unsafe and all.

I remember last September being told by an ad that the 2014 Toyota clearance was on, and it was "my last chance".
smirk.gif

Oh, thank goodness they were right! 2014 1/2 here we go!

Looking forward the '15 F150. Deciding on being a guinea pig or holding out a bit to see how the Al bodies fare.

My son is pushing me for a Raptor too (not that he really needs to push LOL).

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
FWIW my 2014 Mustang was built on 20 March 2013. I bought it in August, but it was delivered to the dealer in April.

Maybe that's a Ford thing.

My '94 Xj12 was actually built in March, 1993, and sold new as a 1994.

Two years of car production were sold as '94's. So few were made, it probably didn't make much difference, but the real '93's are different from the real '94's.

Back up until the 1940's cars used to be the year they were registered. Motor homes are still built this way.

So you could have a 1934 Duesenberg but the chassis was built in 1928.

The Subaru 2015 WRX is out within the month. It is full redesign of the car compared to the outgoing 2014 model.

It makes perfect sense to release it now as 2015 because otherwise there would be no distinguishing item about it if it were called a 2014 or 2014.5 WRX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back