How do i clean the egr valve on my 95 buick centur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Was that labor with the part? You have to figure even if he pulls it and cleans it, he is into it for about 1 and a half hours.

Lets say 80 bucks an hour, plus materials and tax.

To quote a line from Joe Dirt...

"Maybe one day UNICEF will get into the impound business...
but until then, we're the people to see."

Substitute car repair for impound.

X2. The mechanic doesn't want it to come back with the same issue. You may understand that cleaning it is just a stopgap that may not work, but most customers will not, and will pitch a fit about "you didn't fix my car!" It sounds like he is suggesting the fix he knows will work.

If I were in his shoes, I might offer to clean it after suggesting replacement, but I'd warn you that it may be for nothing and you might end up replacing it anyway. And in his shoes, I'd rather just replace it.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I had a SIMULAR thing happen on my '02 Explorer.I took it to advance auto and they pulled the EGR fault code. So I read a little about it online. What I found was they said 99% of the time it's not the actual EGR valve, but the sensor that reports to the computer, to light the light. I shopped around and found they wanted between $60-$80 for the EGR valve, and $22 for the switch. Me being the cheapskate I am, bought the switch. I put the switch in, removed the battery cable , hooked it up, then started the car. The check engine light was out and hasn't come back on in about a year. There are ways of actually checking the EGR valve, but I didn't have anything to use as a tester. So I guess it was cheaper to buy the cheap part, then spend money on a tool I'll use once in my lifetime.,,

Fords are funny about this. Some actually have a DPFE sensor specific code. Sometimes they will throw the code that specifically points to the DPFE, other times they will throw the EGR insufficient/excessive flow code when in fact it is the DPFE acting up. Either way, the DPFE should be replaced since it's a known problem part, but once in a while it's actually the EGR itself contributing to or causing the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back