2 questions: Napa Synthetic and BMW X5

Status
Not open for further replies.
so thanks to the board, I scored 42 qts of Napa Synthetic 5w30 for 1.52/qt (pre tax). I have a ton of purolator classic filters for my yukon so I am set there (as I was planning to do 6,000 mi oil changes) but then I was thinking about the Boss' X5. so 2 questions;

1) Do you think that the Napa Full Synthetic 5w30 and a classic filter are good for 6k changes on the Yukon or should I shorten it? Currently running M1 5w30 for 6-7,000 miles (179,000 on the truck - no leaks)

2) Do you think I could run the Napa Syn 5w30 in the BMW X5 with an OEM filter? I ask b/c there is a 2011 BMW fluids notice that says for non-M vehicles, use a good quality conventional or syn oil but suggested to use BMW's oil. So I am thinking that since I have so much of the Napa, I could run 5,000 oil changes in the X5. typical driving is 50/50 street/hwy. My wife is not a rough or aggressive driver.

thoughts?

Last edited:
The uia's I have seen didn't look so hot at all I am not sure if I would run it that long just be careful.Without a UIA on that vehicle who knows I wouldn't run it past 5000 myself.

Is this the API SN stuff?
NAPA = Synpower and SN Synpower seems to look considerably better in UOAs than did the SM.
If SN, I'd go with your plan.
This oil does not meet the BMW spec but should do fine as long as the CUV isn't autobahn driven.
The Chevy engine should be fine either way.
If SM, knock 1K or so off your plans for both.
If SN, run the miles you plan with no concerns.
I base this upon a 5K UOA of Synpower SM from our Forester as well as my observations of UOAs of the SN formulation on here.
Incidentally, nice score!

Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler
I ask b/c there is a 2011 BMW fluids notice that says for non-M vehicles, use a good quality conventional or syn oil but suggested to use BMW's oil.

I'd like to see that notice. There is no way BMW is allowing conventional oil in their recent engines. All of them call for an oil that meets BMW LL-01 spec. There are no conventional oils that meet this spec.

With that said, the engine will probably be OK on Napa Syn 5w-30; however, personally I'd just run LL-01 approved oil as it assures the correct HT/HS viscosity.

[PDF]BMW Operating Fluids - Complete.pdf - Bimmerboard.com
www.bimmerboard.com/.../Operating%20Fluids%20-%20Complete.pdf
These operating fluids specifications describe the standards which are ... BMW of North America has also approved various fluids for use which are not available ...

and I have NO intention of trying to run the BMW LL-01 spec. sorry, i have never gone past 8,000 miles and even that scared me. I keep the changes at under 7,000 max

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Is this the API SN stuff?
NAPA = Synpower and SN Synpower seems to look considerably better in UOAs than did the SM.
If SN, I'd go with your plan.
This oil does not meet the BMW spec but should do fine as long as the CUV isn't autobahn driven.
The Chevy engine should be fine either way.
If SM, knock 1K or so off your plans for both.
If SN, run the miles you plan with no concerns.
I base this upon a 5K UOA of Synpower SM from our Forester as well as my observations of UOAs of the SN formulation on here.
Incidentally, nice score!

yes SN rating

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Link doesn't work.

using wifes IPAD so some troubles cutting/pasting. just google BMW OPERATING FLUID

and I have NO intention of trying to run the BMW LL-01 spec. sorry, i have never gone past 8,000 miles and even that scared me. I keep the changes at under 7,000 max

Nobody said you have to run the full interval. The LL-01 spec isn't just about extended intervals. It is about proper HT/HS viscosity. LL-01 spec also assures much better performance (as compared to API SN) in terms of soot thickening, wear, sludge, piston deposits, and oxidative thickening.

By the way, the M1 0w-40 in your sig is an LL-01 approved oil.

Link doesn't work.

using wifes IPAD so some troubles cutting/pasting. just google BMW OPERATING FLUID

That document appears very dated, probably before LL-01 spec was introduced that superseded it.

Link doesn't work.

That document appears very dated, probably before LL-01 spec was introduced that superseded it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130806 looks like spec came out before these materials.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That Purolator Classic is not gonna make it to 6,000 miles.

ok - how far you think it is gonna go? I currently have an M1 filter in.

Then why doesn't this document make a single mention of it? Strange.

other than adding more confusion - they do reference part #'s often. Plus, if they require (not suggest but actually require) LL-01, I suspect there is a Magnuson-Moss issue. I actually got BMW to pay for some repairs when we bought the X5 as a CPO by throwing that nugget out there (that, and informing them I was an attorney and litigation would be free for me).

edit - plus the date is March 2008. My X5 was built sept 2007 so . . . . I gotta believe the NAPA Syn will work, but probably not 15k. I was thinking 5k ought to do it. with the fumoto valve, changes should be a snap.

Last edited:
Then why doesn't this document make a single mention of it? Strange.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/bmw.php

LL-01 applies to post-'02 BMW's so it looks like this operating fluids document is on point

think I will have to run the NAPA syn this summer and take a UOA for giggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back