anxiety in public places

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what it is but it seems that a lot of times when I'm out in public and I have to wait in line or just sit and do nothing I end up feeling nauseous and light headed. I'll have to sit down or otherwise i'll become light headed and probably fall to the ground but I always sit down before it gets to that point. I've noticed this only happens if I don't have something to keep my mind occupied, otherwise I'm fine. Like today I was in a waiting room and after about 5 minutes I started to feel nauseous, but then they turned the TV on and I was watching the TV and it took my mind off of the anxiousness so I was just fine. That time I was sitting down so I was surprised it happened that time. Usually it's only when I have to stand in one place. Anyone else have this problem? Honestly most of the time I'm just fine but this is becoming my of a common occurance.

You might have an anxiety disorder, but it sounds like all you need for treatment is a smart phone with internet access.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You might have an anxiety disorder, but it sounds like all you need for treatment is a smart phone with internet access.

Yeah I've found that helps me a lot. This gets me through eating by myself in public. The problem today was that I didn't have a very good internet connection inside that building. Luckily they turned the tv on. Can someone develop this disorder? I didn't have this problem until maybe a couple years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
[
Can someone develop this disorder? I didn't have this problem until maybe a couple years ago.

Yes.

You need to seek professional help. It could be something like agoraphobia or enochlobphobia, which people can definitely develop over time. These conditions are treatable with counseling and/or medication.

Originally Posted By: dparm
You need to seek professional help. It could be something like agoraphobia or enochlobphobia, which people can definitely develop over time. These conditions are treatable with counseling and/or medication.

I agree with that, I add that you should get give exercise a shot if you don't already as it's the best cure for stress from my experience

:meh: .... here, have a prescription for Valium

Have found
http://www.emofree.com.au/

is pretty good if you can sense that it's coming

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apps.paced.breathing

type stuff is good when it's in progress.

My children have had really good results from the coolkids programme (link in here), but we did get them diagnosed first
http://www.centreforemotionalhealth.com.au/pages/resources-products.aspx

which I probably would have preferred to [censored] kickings as a kid.

Try drink some Twingings Earl Grey Tea as its said to calm people down. If your worried that too can cause anxiety. I never had much anxiety but I worried all day and night. Eventually I tried to steer clear of news and politics as it only made it worse. Now I just take life one day at a time, go to work, and keep America's soldiers in my thoughts as my worse day doesnt even come close to what they do to keep us safe. Consider exercise and stop smoking if you do,good luck.

A lot of good wisdom and advice here already - but if I could add my two cents worth - what makes you nervous in public? Rather than masking the problem with distractions, (television, ipod, etc.), embrace it, explore it.

Do you feel this way because you have the sense of being trapped as if you're drowning in a "sea of people."

Do you feel this way because you're afraid someone is going to hurt you? If that is the case, why do you think someone is going to hurt you? (In other words, dig deeper).

Are there health issues involved? (Heart condition, do you smoke, drink a pot of coffee before lunch, use other substances?). Not making any judgments, but perhaps a change in lifestyle might be in order.

Are there personal issues that you're currently dealing with - financial stress or work related stress, (example, layoff rumors at work or mounting bills at home).

Do you have a habit of obsessing about things?

Finding the "why" is the first step to recovery, peace and happiness.

And finally, when life gets a little too big for me to wrap my mind around, I give a little thoughtful reflection on Isaiah 26:3. It always works for me.

Hey, I'm a physician and I do recommend you seek evaluation. Hyperthyroidism can cause anxiety to present along with some other abnormalities. People can have underlying anxiety or depression and it does not manifest until something occurs that overwhelms their coping mechanisms.

If anxiety, it can be approached via medication or therapy. Therapy is often used to teach people coping mechanisms they can use when they feel anxious. The anxiety of being in a crowd is very common. Many of my patients have it. Some use medications, some do not. Most feel calm if they have medication on hand but never use it. When they worry about a panic attack, they calm down because they think, "Hey, if I have a panic attack, I have a pill in my pocket for that".

Anxiety and depression has a genetic component and many people have family members with similar problems but most families do not like to talk about it.

Good Luck

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Couldn't agree more.

Is this not what Clash of Clans / Bad Piggies / Hill Climb Racing / Angry birds is meant to cure?

I hate crowds, too. I find myself content to people watch, and if extra is needed, to find the exits and plan for an "event."

Keeps my mind occupied...

Heh Heh, Give anxiety attacks, don't get them.
wink.gif
I'm sorry, all you folks in the mental health industry, I have seen some things that scared me sane.

I used to get anxiety attacks in the 70's & 80's.
Wife and I were both on Valium and I washed my Valium down with beer..
When I went into recovery in 1989 and continued on in AA the attacks diminished and quit. They don't bother me today.
Funny thing, since I quit drinking neither my wife or I need the Valium any more.
thumbsup2.gif

All the best.

Bob R

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
A lot of good wisdom and advice here already - but if I could add my two cents worth - what makes you nervous in public? Rather than masking the problem with distractions, (television, ipod, etc.), embrace it, explore it.

Do you feel this way because you have the sense of being trapped as if you're drowning in a "sea of people."

Do you feel this way because you're afraid someone is going to hurt you? If that is the case, why do you think someone is going to hurt you? (In other words, dig deeper).

Are there health issues involved? (Heart condition, do you smoke, drink a pot of coffee before lunch, use other substances?). Not making any judgments, but perhaps a change in lifestyle might be in order.

Are there personal issues that you're currently dealing with - financial stress or work related stress, (example, layoff rumors at work or mounting bills at home).

And finally, when life gets a little too big for me to wrap my mind around, I give a little thoughtful reflection on Isaiah 26:3. It always works for me.

I guess the reason I feel nervous is that I'm afraid I'm going to get all dizzy and vomit in front of everyone. Otherwise their isn't anything to worry about. I usually never vomit but I think it's just the fact that I've gotten dizzy and feel extremely hot and sweaty in the past so I think the thought of that happening again is what causes this.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

I guess the reason I feel nervous is that I'm afraid I'm going to get all dizzy and vomit in front of everyone. Otherwise their isn't anything to worry about. I usually never vomit but I think it's just the fact that I've gotten dizzy and feel extremely hot and sweaty in the past so I think the thought of that happening again is what causes this.

This is a real catch 22. You are afraid of getting sick in front of people which makes you sick and dizzy which makes you feel like you are going to get sick in front of people.

Dig a little deeper. What makes you afraid you're going to vomit? What makes you hot and sweaty to begin with? These are symptoms of a deeper problem. When did this first happen and what caused it? There has to be a first time that is the root of this problem. Find the root cause and you're on the road to healing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back