Laser eye surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious about anyone's experience with this. My eye Dr. told me a couple of years ago that I would be a good candidate for it. I am pretty darn close to blind without glasses or contacts, but my vision seems to have stopped getting any worse according to the eye Dr. The procedure seems to make decent financial sense. I'm 30 years old so (hopefully) have a few more decades worth of glasses, eye exams, etc. that this could save me from. Plus, the benefit of not dealing with glasses or contacts. Anyone here have experience with the surgery? Are you happy with the results?

I've thought about this too but regardless of the lack of risk I'm too much of a scaredy-cat. Not sure how bad "darn close to blind" is though. I can't read ~10-12 point text until it's about a foot away from my eyes. I would think past a certain point if you can't work or drive without glasses on then however bad it is is bad enough.

So I don't have any info but I'll be watching this thread too. (With my glasses on!)

I've had the prk in 2005, seeing better than 20/20. There's no guarantees on your results though, and you may still need glasses when you get older. There's lasik and prk, with pros and cons to each. Some vision/health insurance plans may even cover it.

Just be aware that:

1.- this is a "cosmetic" procedure, if you are comfortable with how you look, I would recommend you to skip the surgery.

2.- After the surgery, the first thing to go to the dumpster is your night vision, I know a couple of people that 10 or 15 years after the procedure, they have too much trouble in seeing anything at night.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
There's lasik and prk, with pros and cons to each.

One of those procedures only lasts for 10 years - I forget which one.

I had PRK in 1994, so if it only lasts ten years, I guess my watch stopped. And my night vision is fine. I have absolutely no regrets about getting it done. I saw very poorly, too, as if I were driving without glasses and tailgating, I wouldn't have been able to read their plate.

Getting it done young is the key to minimizing side effects, because healing is faster when young. My ophthalmologist here in Regina said he could only tell I had the procedure because he knew exactly what to look for. The only side effect I had was increased sensitivity to shampoo. The ophthalmologist here that I mentioned told me to use baby shampoo. Not only does it not burn, it's significantly cheaper than other shampoos.
wink.gif

In my case, I can't even see things clearly that are less than 5 feet away with no glasses. At night, I can pretty much forget about seeing at all. Being so dependent on my glasses is a PITA. If my vision were only a little bad, and I could still do things without my glasses, I probably wouldn't consider the procedure. Got to thinking about this after my glasses broke today. The frames broke right in the middle. Luckily I was with a friend and he temporarily put them back together for me so I could drive home.

Mine was done fourteen years ago and I would do it again without a moments hesitation. Eyeglasses were a nuisance to me and the Lasik eliminated that as well as my pick of safety glasses when needed, shooting glasses, sunglasses, and the list goes on and on.

The procedure is not for everyone though....it's a personal decision and one that requires some thought. However, I will say that after my procedure (they recommend taking a nap afterwards to avoid the worst of the discomfort), it was so nice to look at the digital clock on the dresser and read the numbers without eyeglasses.

FWIW - I don't think of it as a "cosmetic procedure"....for most people, it has nothing to do with how they look (at least in my circle of friends) but more for convenience and/or comfort.

I have zero issues with night vision although I do get dry eyes occasionally which is something they've resolved since mine were done. The only other thing was my doc told me I would probably require reading glasses after my procedure but I didn't until several years later after I underwent open-heart surgery....might have just been a coincidence but I required the readers immediately afterwards. That is certainly not a big deal and readers are a couple of bucks for a whole fist-full.

I have an appointment with the eye Dr. tomorrow. But there is zero chance I could get the surgery. I cannot even touch my eyes to put contacts in. Glasses for life here.

I had lasik done about 7 or 8 years ago after being extremely nearsighted my entire life. I had worn glasses since I was in third grade.

My only regret is that I didn't have it done sooner. I still have 20/20 vision completely unaided. It's such a pleasure not to have the hassle of thick heavy glasses or contacts and the associated contact sundry items (solutions, cleaners, cases, etc).

I do need reading glasses, but that's typical of almost anyone my age (I'm 70). I had the option of having one eye adjusted so I wouldn't need reading glasses, but I opted not to do that. I had tried something similar with contacts a few years before the lasik surgery and I didn't care for it.

I do have some starbursts around lights at dusk, but it's no worse than it was with contacts. It most certainly doesn't impede my driving ability at all.

About 4 years after the surgery, at a regular eye exam my doctor suggested I augment my night vision with a pair of glasses with an anti-glare coating. In his words, the glasses would not only cut the glare some, but also give me "hi-def" vision given my current 20/20 vision. With the glasses, while driving I can read street signs at more than 150' away. Unlike my old pre-lasik glasses, these are so lightweight I often forget that I'm wearing them.

Bottom line-if I had to do it over again I would without hesitation. I like not needing to put on glasses the instant I awaken every morning, I like not having the hassle of contacts, and after this much time I still have great vision. I like not having glasses fog over when I come in from the cold, or having sweat running down them when I'm working outdoors in the summer. And from a financial standpoint, after this much time I've saved more than the cost of surgery by not needing new contacts and the associated solutions and cleaners.

Pop_Rivit, I'm personally amazed that you would resort to a "crutch" rather than good health with regard to something as important as your sight...

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Just be aware that:

1.- this is a "cosmetic" procedure, if you are comfortable with how you look, I would recommend you to skip the surgery.

2.- After the surgery, the first thing to go to the dumpster is your night vision, I know a couple of people that 10 or 15 years after the procedure, they have too much trouble in seeing anything at night.

Number 1 ) wrong - Glasses and contacts are costly and cosmetic.
Number 2 ) Wrong - Had my lasik done when it was still investigational in Canada by Dr. Tayfour. He had done more cataract surgeries than anybody in North America. Switched to PRK and finally Lasik. PRK is obsolete in North America since the computer guidance in the lazer has gotten so good. .
If you use the right doctor, results are great. In my case 20 years 20-20 vision + great night vision .Same with 6 other members of the family.
ALL surgery has risk , so do glasses and contacts.

I had Lasik about 12 years ago. I did opt for having one eye "tuned" for distance and one for reading. It was odd for the first couple of months until I got used to it, but would not change a thing. YMMV, but I had zero issues after surgery. I went home and took a nap, and when I woke, the first thing I noticed was I could read the ticker at the bottom of the TV screen unaided from across the room. The procedures have matured some since I had mine, (most are now bladeless) and I would expect great results if you are a candidate, and your vision has not changed within the last 5 checkups. Load up your HSA account at work and have some tax free dollars work for you with the cost. Research your Doctor first. Ask how long, and how many he/she has done. Check their record of complaints with your state's Dep't. of Professional Regulation. Watch some youtube vids to become familiar with what will happen. Then make an informed decision as to if it's for you. I don't regret having mine done.

Hello, While chatting about this procedure with my dentist I mentioned the rather high failure rate of lasik and he nodded his agreement. He went on to add caveats regarding the dryness issue. "Some people need drops every 15 minutes. That would kill me", he said.

I'm happy for those who've realized improvement with this procedure. I would consider it, possibly, if I knew more about it.

For now, it's eyeglasses for me. Kira

My glasses aren't too ornery, but I do feel like my prescription is changing more often now, now that 40 isn't that far off. Just don't see as well as I used to. Would like Lasik for the savings, but if I can stretch a pair of glasses out a few years it's not that expensive--I avoid contact sports like the plague, and so I haven't broken glasses in a very long time.

Unfortunately my son has taken up glasses, and while today kids don't tease like they used to I'd feel kinda bad if he was the only one with glasses. Maybe in another 10 years I'll give Lasik a try. Recently I noticed I cannot focus on things as close as I used to be able to; I've always been nearsighted, but if I lose the ability to see close up I might as well have my distance vision fixed and resort to reading glasses. I don't want to start carrying around three pairs--close up, normal, and tinted normal (sunglasses).

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Pop_Rivit, I'm personally amazed that you would resort to a "crutch" rather than good health with regard to something as important as your sight...

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow

If you actually understood anything about health, you'd understand that nearsightedness is something that I was born with and is genetic. It has nothing to do with healthy habits.

I would have assumed even you would understand something that simple. Clearly I gave you too much credit.

I was part of an FDA study in the early '90s. I had PRK in one eye and Lasik in the other (I don't remember which eye got what). 20+ years later I am still very happy. I don't get dry eyes and my vision is still crystal clear, even at night. I do use reading glasses these days, but was told back then to expect that as I got older.

Would I do it again? Absolutely!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back