'06 Toyota Highlander Base 2.4 2wd

Status
Not open for further replies.
wife had a collision with the '04 Highlander Limited, I'm sure it's totaled so I saw this on Auto Trader at the local Lexus...28,600 mi. so I bought it..it's really like new, perfect red metallic even new Michelin LTX's..$13,700 +tax +license just plain hard to find so nifty like this..I'm thinking we could put 150k on and for that money it's a bargin.. took the hitch off the crashed '04 so I can still trailer my light weight stuff around town as needed.

wondering if the 2.4 head bolt issue merits a closer look? if so, how to approach that?

Originally Posted By: Danno
Hope the wife is OK.

Exactly. The vehicle can always be replaced.

Congratulations on the new(er) ride. Sounds like you did just fine.

here in icy WI. I notice this generation Highlander to be relatively body rust free...many are 10+ years and into the 150k mi area.. remarkable that visible corrosion is just always absent.

Did a AutoTrader search and many of these '02-'04 units with more than 130k are fetching $8-$9k..I'll have to pile up 100k more miles to be in that group with this '06, just trying to justify the steep $13,700 I paid.

Highlanders are nice, I remember the front seats being roomier than my 03 sienna. I would get one if I found one for a steal, would prefer the 2.4L because I'm done with timing belts
smile.gif

They are comfortable, remember the comment by a magazine stated the 'ideal driving position'..I'm done with belts too, buy alot of fuel for the price of replacing it. The 10mi. I've driven the 2.4 seems to be nosier than the 3.3 and my Honda 2.4 but don't care long as it's fun to drive and matches the trans well and that so far is the case. Another thing I'm done with is all wheel drive, of the three Mitsu, Honda, Toyota all got sloppy after 50k especially quick stop/start & turns..they are never ready and thump...and AWD really kills the fuel more than they disclose.

Logged into Toyota/owners and can't seem to enter a vin..did Toyota stop supporting that?

I did get into the Toyota service records and the only warranty claim this unit had was the floor mat clip recall back in '12 probably associated with the unexpected acceleration hullabalou...squeeky clean.

Last edited:
this base model is a really nice pkg...engine and trans work together very well...real world all around mpg is 24..this base has low miles but a have to say it's simplicity makes it a nicer Highlander than my departed Limited model.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back