How Crazy Am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
OK, I going to be a [censored] but how does a cop retire at 47?

Not an [censored] for asking buddy. See, what you get reported in the media, at least what I can say with authority, is NYFD and mostly Yonkers PD. These jobs allow their employees to rack up some very not right numbers there last few years for retirement. NYFD is beyond unimaginable with what they let their BOSSES get away with. It's a crime! You can google NYFD and see I'm not off base. BUT media portrays it as if all FD and all cps have it like this. Not the case.

I'm brutally honest so I don't mind stating how it is at least where i'm at. It's different everywhere though, so what's reality in place X sure might not be in place B.

You are obviously not an average cop with the higher education! I came across a super nice Captain of UMD College Park Police Force who graduated with Chemical Engineering (UMD) and became a cop and later got the law degree. My kid is going there and the captain talked to the parents during the orientation. I was thoroughly impressed. It would be shame if these kind of cops stop being cops after working for "only" (!) 22 years.

I have a feeling that if we met face to face, I would be as impressed with you as I did with that captain. I also appreciate you not taking the offence at my comment.

Getting back to the subject on the hand, please don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You are obviously not an average cop with the higher education! I came across a super nice Captain of UMD College Park Police Force who graduated with Chemical Engineering (UMD) and became a cop and later got the law degree. My kid is going there and the captain talked to the parents during the orientation. I was thoroughly impressed. It would be shame if these kind of cops stop being cops after working for "only" (!) 22 years.

I have a feeling that if we met face to face, I would be as impressed with you as I did with that captain. I also appreciate you not taking the offence at my comment.

Getting back to the subject on the hand, please don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I'm glad it worked out with the Capt. I have a new chief now and we have tabled a lot of discussions dealing with traditional cop role vs the increasing community demands upon what they feel is the cop's role. My view was it's a loosing battle to fight it so instead lets embrace the community approach head on. We have and let me tell ya, the response from the community has been nothing short of incredibly.

Truthfully, this approach has put us in a much more powerful position. When we screw up, and we do! We use to get destroyed at city council meetings; now we have supporters from the community mitigating our mistakes.

I set up a "Meet the Chief" event yesterday to coincide with our Farmer's Market. Set up a free child safety seat check point and had a fire truck and a PD tactical truck for anyone to review. Went great! We had to extend by an hour as the people kept coming. Kids loved climbing in the fire truck and the tactical truck, moms loved ketting their kids seats checked for proper install.....

Biggest issue: Need a chief to trust you and mine does, and that chief has to be strong enough to take the unknown publics questions, they can be pointed and tough. But that is how you win them over.

I forgot to mention, the Chief was there at the presentation too and he talked for few minutes afterwards. He too was an UMD alumni and he echoed exactly what you just said.

Gents,

Wanted to throw an update out there. So far I'm realizing about 23% or 22k in the positive direction. Russian space program agreement, closing European operations, and more and more auto manufacturers looking to the rolled soda can to lighten up and increase gas mileage has made the difference.

A few months I could be back with a box of tissues, but no risk no gain. I thank you all for your advice. This is a great site with some pretty [censored] good people.

I work for a multi billionaire. He makes his money from common investors. I've come to the conclusion that the "game is rigged". It's been manipulated and configured to funnel a stunning sum to the few involved in the IPO, and to be diverted away from company investment.

The brokers, associated fees and costs are also configured to profit on investors hopes.

Sure, a select few people outpace inflation (after taxes) in the market. The rest of us are clearly providing the profits these huge management firms collect.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I work for a multi billionaire. He makes his money from common investors. I've come to the conclusion that the "game is rigged". It's been manipulated and configured to funnel a stunning sum to the few involved in the IPO, and to be diverted away from company investment.

The brokers, associated fees and costs are also configured to profit on investors hopes.

Sure, a select few people outpace inflation (after taxes) in the market. The rest of us are clearly providing the profits these huge management firms collect.

Ain't that the truth!! Much of our world is operated in this same manner. No broker or fees for me; besides the whopping tax bill when I cash out.

You need to be more diversified unless you're OK with losing a large percent of your tuition money. The stock market lost, I think about 40% or so in 2008. It could happen again. Losses of 10-20% are common. If it were me, I'd probably split 50/50 cash and Vanguard Total Stock Market. Every year I'd rebalance more into cash. At least you'd know some of the money will be there when you need it. You may sleep a little better too in the event of a downturn.

Do some reading over here: http://bogleheads.org

I would never invest that large of a portion of my investments in individual stock and I am willing to take on higher risk than most. I don't own any individual stocks. I actually just sold some short term investments for a 10% gain over over 5 months. I am expecting holiday numbers to take a hit and the markets to correct. I will see how that worked out in March when I was planning to liquidate that holding initial to transfer to a Roth.

Guess I didn't digest that this was just for short term investing. For less risky short term investing I like income funds. I specifically use Vanguard Wellesley Income Fund Investor Shares (VWINX).

Originally Posted By: Cujet

This is why I never got into the stock market. I could never see a way to make a lot of money unless you had a ton of money and could get in on IPO's or buy enough stock to make the gains equal anything.

I agree with the OP's method of concentrating. Spreading yourself thin is no way to make a lot of money. You need to buy a lot of shares so if it moves 10%; 10% is something.

I'm not a "gambler" but will absord some risk for the right reward potential. This is for sure a gamble; not exactly like hitting Vegas and doubling down. Still, no matter how much research you do there is the potential to loooose big.

This was one where I wasn't sure if I'd be following up and eating crow or smiling. I'm smiling. I cashed in at 64% profit. Took the money and ran. I now have the vast majority of the cost of law school.

Gamble paid off in this instance. Now if only I could get my deferred compensation plan to move that quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back