Splash De-Bug Windshield Washer Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what the consensus is on Splash De-Big windshield washer fluid? It appears that AAP has it for 2.69 regular and with their 10 off 30 stacked with mr rebates, the price isn't bad.

Currently running rain-x brand at roughly the same price prior to promotions.

Would it be worth the switch?

Does anyone use this currently?

I have run prestone in the past but the pine smell annoyed the wife so I switched back to the rain-x version.

I have also considered making it myself but honestly, I don't care to and would rather run an over the counter product in this instance.

Is this the green stuff? I use it in the warmer weather here as it's either labeled as +20F or +32F. Shouldn't be a problem where you're at, though.
laugh.gif

Seems a bit pricey, though. I bought jugs of the stuff at about $0.90/bottle at Menard's. Not an option for you, I know, but unless you need the bottle to get over the limit to use your promotion, you can probably get a better price by waiting or checking elsewhere.

I won't buy anything rated higher than 0F. It gets cold in the Texas panhandle. Sometimes that's marginal. And I don't want to get caught with the higher temp stuff in the tank, because the weather can change very quickly here. The -32F stuff used to be everywhere. Now it's impossible to find. But a few weeks ago, I ran across some Blue Coral brand washer fluid rated at -20F in Dollar General for $1.99. You guys might check it out.

I use water in the summer, and cheap washer fluid in the winter. Works great. What are you trying to gain? And is it really any better?

I have never found any of those "special" fluids to work any better. Bug remover needs time to penetrate and it needs some friction to remove things.

Just buy the cold weather stuff and change your blades twice a year.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Five to ten drops of Dawn dishwashing soap in the washer fluid tank,
presto...

Seems like a bad idea. The dish soap would create suds that might smear all over the window.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Five to ten drops of Dawn dishwashing soap in the washer fluid tank,
presto...

Seems like a bad idea. The dish soap would create suds that might smear all over the window.

+1

I've used Windex mixed with water to try it out and it smeared terribly for a few seconds then would dry without any streaks after a few seconds. Also the bubbling ruined a washer nozzle.

I never use anything but Winter blue stuff all year, because I can never use it fast enough I don't want to be stuck with it freezing in October or November.

Be careful with the cheap stuff, some of it will stick the wipers to the windshield like glue after it dries.

Before you get into your car, always pull up on your wipers to see if they stick.

I'm using stuff now that sticks the rubber wiper blades down surprisingly hard, can't be good for the WW linkage.

Why don't they put the bug solvent in the winter mix? Seems like they do it in the blue water, only, so there's a "reason for being".

I run water in May because of all the pollen.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Why don't they put the bug solvent in the winter mix?

Sometimes they do. Up here at least, there are a few varieties of premium all season washer fluids, designed with plenty of bug solvent for the summer and -45 C protection for the winter. Of course, it's more money than either summer bugwash or winter blue stuff, but it's better than getting caught with bugwash when winter decides to approach early and suddenly.

Guess nobody actually has any first hand experience with this particular fluid.....

I bought a jug, will test it out if, if good, will stock up a little so that I am not buying a jug every other week per vehicle during love bug season which lasted forever last year.......

Buy a gallon of the .99 cent stuff, or water if you stay above freezing, and mix it with a bottle of MB Summerfit. The latter goes for $2/ea on Ebay if you buy 12.

Way better than any chain auto store stuff, and works year-round, depending on the carrier fluid.

Fwiw, nothing is going to remove dried on bug guts without some elbow grease.

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
I was wondering what the consensus is on Splash De-Big windshield washer fluid? It appears that AAP has it for 2.69 regular and with their 10 off 30 stacked with mr rebates, the price isn't bad.

Currently running rain-x brand at roughly the same price prior to promotions.

Would it be worth the switch?

Does anyone use this currently?

I have run prestone in the past but the pine smell annoyed the wife so I switched back to the rain-x version.

I have also considered making it myself but honestly, I don't care to and would rather run an over the counter product in this instance.

I have never used that brand of windshield washer fluid(WWF) before so I can't give you any feedback sorry. I use WWF from Mr. Clean. It is a deicer and a bug remover.

This stuff here...
http://www.amazon.com/MR-CLEAN-WINDSHIELD-WASH-gallon/dp/B000UOHR70

It drives me nuts when stuff gets on the windshield in my vision. I have tried many different fluids over the years to clean bugs and such off. We really get bugs during the late spring and into the summer here( especially at night ). They can smear the windshield so badly you can't see.

The Mr. Clean fluid works the best of any I have tried. It is not easy to find around here but my local ACE Hardware usually has it or can get me some. Not cheap but worth the $$$ to me. I found it at WalMart once and bought like a case of it.

Unfortunately, even the best WWF can have a hard time with bugs. What I have found works best is to treat the windshield with Rain-X wipes once a month or so( I detest their WWF though and won't use it )during "bug season" and then use the Mr. Clean fluid. The bugs come off much easier that way. When I see them becoming harder to come off I know it is time to re-treat the windshield again.

Last edited:
I used this stuff (green) for the first time last summer. I thought it worked better than the blue -20* fluid. It seemed to clean well and then evaporate quickly.

I siphoned it out in the fall and replaced with the anti-freeze stuff.

Can do what my dad did one winter, equal parts methanol & water
lol.gif

That not only cleaned the windshield but your sinuses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back