Topsider Fluid Extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried out my new Topsider Fluid Extractor on my push mower and generator. Worked very well! Unit feels well built and did what it was supposed to do for under $50. I followed the assembly and extraction instructions carefully. And I put some motor oil on the seals and in the pump before use, as recommended in the instructions. So far, it's been great. Next I'll try it on my Rider and vehicles.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001445IZ8

I had the Topsider a little more than 10 years ago, it worked okay for 2 siphons then it started to fail on the third. I then bought the Mityvac 7201, it works flawlessly since 2003-2004.

Mityvac was and is a little more money, but the capacity of 8.5 liters (about 8.8 quarts) is just right for extracting oil in a Mercedes. Also, its built is very solid and it shows that after more than 50-60 uses it still working well.

I read that they have made some improvements over the years, and the price/value ratio was there for me with the Topsider. Hopefully it'll give me years of good service, but time will tell I suppose..

You're probably right. I got burnt by them once and I'm not willing to try them again.

I bought many things based on price/value but for a tool that I can use on many things such as oil change, ATF, brake bleeding ... I think a reliable tool in the end is a better value.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I got burnt by them once and I'm not willing to try them again.

Similar here. Got burned by MityVac, and not willing to try them again either. Alas, the mistake I made was buying the one that has the pump on the inside (submerged in oil). Looks like this topsider has it on the outside, and so does your MityVac 7201.

I bought the Liquivac a couple months ago and am well pleased with it. I've used it 3 times and it works great. It's a horizontal type and allows easy access for extracting oil from say a differential...you just drag it under the vehicle and pump up the vacuum, turn the valve to open... and it holds 6 quarts. $50.00 shipped from Liquivac.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back