Going to need a 2nd vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving out of the city around the first of 2015. While we have survived well on one vehicle between my wife and I here, we're moving to an area without a decent public transportation network, so we're going back to being a 2 car household.

Would it make more sense to get a cheap beater (Corolla, Camry, Saturn, whatever) for little cash and hope it holds together for 1-2 years while we get established in a new area and find new jobs, or to get something a bit better and stretch our finances more? A loan is not an option at this time as we're going to be dealing with student loan payments, rent or mortgage, and can't really float a car payment on top of those.

If we get a longer term car we're needing something inexpensive to buy (under $5000), AWD/4WD preferred due to location we're moving to, and not too expensive to have worked on when I can't figure it out myself/don't have the tools/time to do it.

Snow tires *might* fix the need for AWD; skipping AWD for FWD ought to pick up mpg, simplicity and perhaps lower insurance cost.

I'd lean towards the beater, and replace when necessary. If you have the time to look, why not? If you have a place to keep the car for the next year, might as well start looking now. Not that you have to buy today, but in case you find something good (not sure what the shopping is like where you are).

We'll probably be shopping after we move. It'll be nice looking for a car outside of the Rust Belt. I'm well aware our Subaru will rust out before the engine or transmission are done.

You won't find much under five grand that's not going to need something. Don't worry about AWD. Get a front driver with all seasons and you'll be fine. That's what most have done for decades.

You can find decent cheap Saturns that will hold together for a long time as long as you keep oil in them, and a Saturn would be cheap and easy to fix.
You'll have a hard time finding a decent Corolla or Camry cheaply.
Really cheap cars are a complete [censored] in that some may be fine while others will have problems that will quickly reveal to you the reason that they were priced so cheaply.
Also, private parties should not be regarded as either more honest or more naive than used car dealers.
As a Subaru owner, you know that AWD is nice, but a set of winter tires on junkyard rims will also work very well on a FWD car and will be much cheaper to buy and maybe to maintain or fix.
I'd maybe look for a Cobalt or G5.
These can be had cheap, the later Ecotec seems plenty durable and parts are readily available at any parts store or yard.
I'd be more concerned about saving cash and getting something reliable and cheap to keep than anything else.
Ease of access and repair is another consideration.
Subarus are really easy to work on in my experience and I'd try to determine ease of maintenance and repair on anything you're looking at.
DIY is great, but ease of access will also determine book labor and therefore cost for those jobs you can't do yourself.
Just a few thoughts for you to muddle over.

1st gen crv can be had for under 5k. As long as valves are adjusted and timingbelt/water pump is done they are very reliable. I got my 01 with 84,000 miles for only 4,000. Got 130k on it now. Its not really a car, like a small suv lol

Last edited:
Cobalt/G5. Engines are everywhere, parts are intechangable for a long number of years. CRV would be nice but I think you would be giving up a few MPG for the size and ground clearance.

For 5 Gees, you have to be completely open-minded and go for the best car/deal available when you buy. I'd say 4WD is a necessity only if you live on a dirt road. I'll take a set of Blizzaks over 4wd and all-season radials any day. (But not All-Terrain tires and 4wd, necessarily).

$5000 is a tough budget for FWD cars. It is a desirable price range with little supply of decent ones.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
$5000 is a tough budget for FWD cars. It is a desirable price range with little supply of decent ones.

This.

There were not a lot of new cars purchased, relatively speaking, over the last half of the last decade. The used car market is definitely low supply and high demand.

If he's looking for a beater, how is $5,000 going to be tough to find a decent FWD car? I bought a pretty nice Camry 4 months ago for $1,700. Nothing wrong with it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

If he's looking for a beater, how is $5,000 going to be tough to find a decent FWD car? I bought a pretty nice Camry 4 months ago for $1,700. Nothing wrong with it.

A nice Camry with nothing wrong with it for $1,700 is very much outside the norm. Nobody said that it's impossible...just that the used car market can be difficult. It's also highly dependent on location...the local market has the final say.

The OP might be advised to let folks know where he is moving. "Outside the rust belt" was mentioned, but that's all we know. It could be southern California, it could be Texas, it could be Florida.

I think the Focus is pretty common and straight forward and cheaper than a Honda or Toyota, 05+ have the duratech.
The last of Neons (04 or 05?) have almost no resale value but were pretty solid cars too.
If you want a cheap to buy and run 4wd, a 4 cyl Tracker is an option. The only real annoying repair was a rusty oil pan and they aren't easy to get at... It will be hard to find one as much as $5k.

Check my sig.
Don't know why I didn't think to suggest the Focus.
I ended up using the one I bought as my personal winter DD, which wasn't the original plan.
It got me through one of the worst winters we've had in years with no drama.
The ZTEC uses no measurable amount of oil and fuel consumption is reasonable.
These cars can be found quite cheaply and are better riding and driving cars than are the Cobalt/G5 with better seats IMHO.
If the OP is looking for an old Focus, the ZX models are probably the ones to have.
If you actually plan on putting people in the back seat, the ZX5 would be prefered.
ZX5=4 dr + hatch
ZX3=2 dr + hatch
Room under the hatch is surprisingly expansive and there's even a neat hinged panel to hide whatever you put in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back