restored lawn boy 2 cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a restored lawn boy mower, What horsepower were these? I'm going to try and get it for under $200 , It it may hit the $200 mark.
looks similar to this one. Thoughts??

Its a brick top.
0.jpg

Last edited:
I loved my Lawn boys but after years of breathing in two stroke fumes, I am happy to use a Briggs and Stratton John Deer.

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
I loved my Lawn boys but after years of breathing in two stroke fumes, I am happy to use a Briggs and Stratton John Deer.

With good synthetic oils, are fumes that strong with one of these?

I loved my old Lawn Boy, but you can buy runners for a little bit of nothing. Check out CL.
$200.00 is too much to pay for one, especially since the term "restored" can mean anything from a good clean-up to a rebulit machine.

Is the goal to mow grass or own a vintage lawn mower? I think 2 cycle should be reserved for things you hold and carry the weight like chain saws, blowers, weed whackers. At least as far as OPE goes.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Is the goal to mow grass or own a vintage lawn mower? I think 2 cycle should be reserved for things you hold and carry the weight like chain saws, blowers, weed whackers. At least as far as OPE goes.

Maybe both.
In this case it is a rebuilt engine and carb rebuilt, repainted deck. I plan to use it as a trim mower around trees, and the flowerbeds, before mowing with the zero turn. A push mower puts less grass clipppings in the mulch in these areas. I would spent around $200 for a low end mower, my thought is why not for one that will outlast the home depot cheapie.

Last edited:
I love lawnboy mowers, I have a 1953, 1963, 1976, 1977, 1987, 1997, and a 2014.
Depending on the year of your bricktop it and the level of restoration, it could be worth several hundred to some people. The one you have pictured looks about like my 1977. So if this is the case. $150-$250 should be a fair range.
However if you want one to mow with I would suggest a duraforce 6.5 hp..this engine will shame the honda and kohler motors on todays mowers and my wife can run one with one hand.

Originally Posted By: UncleLee
I love lawnboy mowers, I have a 1953, 1963, 1976, 1977, 1987, 1997, and a 2014.
Depending on the year of your bricktop it and the level of restoration, it could be worth several hundred to some people. The one you have pictured looks about like my 1977. So if this is the case. $150-$250 should be a fair range.

Welcome UncleLee!
Well the aution just went over $255, so its going out of the range i want to pay.

This is the actual mower on ebay but its over what i hoped to pay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lawnboy-vintage-...=item1c3f211b5e

Last edited:
I think the current price on that auction is too much for a brick top that is anything but "showroom condition". The picture posted looks like a good runner, but not a show piece.

I do, however, like your thought of buying a mower that will last far beyond what a Craftsman or Home Depot cheapie will last. I own four Lawn-Boys myself, and enjoy them all. I have a '87, a '95, a '96, and a '99. I'm currently working on getting the '96 running good. It's a 10523 Gold model, with a 5 hp F engine, 3 speed transmission, alloy deck, the works. I paid $27 for it not running. After a carb clean and new coil, it runs good, but not perfect yet. Still messing with it.

Where in North Carolina are you?

Something else to remember about older restored machines...to get the right parts to do them up correctly can be costly and time consuming. You could easily spend far more than the price of a new mower. I have over $50 in just the ignition system on my 53, $51 for wheels, $130 for base coat clear coat, $90 original price of the machine and I still have not got into the carb nor paid my spray guy or considered my time in polishing and cleaning. When it is finished, I would have to get $750 to $1000 for it if I were to consider selling. They are a lot like cars, easy to put more in than you can get back out...unless you find the right collector. Oh and did I mention reproduction decals...lol $20 each

Last edited:
Luckily I didn't need rebuild the engine. The price could have went up dramatically.
But when I see people on tv pay $6500 to restore a pedal car... a grand in a lawnboy seems reasonable to me...;-)

Just checked ebay...the current bid on the 77 Is at $310 reserve not met

I'm suprised, i had no idea it would go that high.

Just checked ebay...the current bid on the 77 Is at $310 reserve not met

Are you bidding?? He he
grin2.gif

I have probably 14 or so LB's including a bricktop just like that one. I love the look of the brick and the great sound when it's well tuned. LB's are in my opinion the best mowers ever made. 4hp from a Lawnboy beats 6hp from a 4 stroke every day of the week in real world cutting and I've had both.

That said, that brick is maybe a $100 mower, no higher. I saw one on CL the other day for $40.
For reliability, power and plentiful parts, find a LB with the F series engine. The bricktop is a D series engine. Nothing wrong with it, but D parts are getting harder to find.

I don't know a lot yet about the engines, how can i tell the f series engines from pictures? Are all f series 6.5 hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back