mobil 1 v twin similar as hedo 1540?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day i was reading on here and a few chimed in on the fact that test sheets come back with both oils looking really similar? Is this all true?

I have rotella 1540 in my bike right now, the only thing ive noticed is my top end is really quiet now, but ill have to wait will its 115 out and see if i get the ticking i use to hear every stop on the highway =)

Mobil 1 V twin is a synthetic and most 15w40 HDEO oils are dino. The Mobil 1 V twin is also a lot thicker. Really the only similarities will be in the ZDDP numbers, but if I recall the V twin will have more zinc.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
The other day i was reading on here and a few chimed in on the fact that test sheets come back with both oils looking really similar?

How exactly are they similar? Got a link to that discussion?

Honestly, i dont remember the search, it was stumbled upon when someone was asking about oil for a honda. I believe i was actually trying to find info on supertech SYNTHETIC oil and that came up was something in the motorcycle area.

When i worked at the local harley shop, one guy came in with TC bagger with over 200k on the odometer. In one of the saddle bags he had bottle of delvac 1540 and when i got done with his tires he said he ran it in the bike since the first oil change. He to, mentioned something about (diesel oil) being really similar to vtwin oil.

It was just a curious question, i figured if the additives were the same then oil temps would be the biggest factor. Sorta.

To answer your initial question, yes, MC specific oils and HDEO's are indeed similar, hence the widespread use of HDEO'S in motorcycle applications with excellent results. To give the most relevant comparison as possible I'd compare the Delvac 15W40 and their V-Twin motorcycle oil in 20W50.

After a quick search I wasn't able to find either Mobil's MC 10W40/20W50 VOA, but the 20W50 is formulated very similar to their 10W40, except of course for viscosity and ZDDP content, so I'll be basing it off our most recent UOA of Mobil 1 10W40.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/May 2013/delvac.htm

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3337753/1

Delvac/V-Twin

TBN: 9.66/Unknown
Viscosity Index: 136/142
Calcium: 1347/1727
Magnesium: 911/8
Phosphorus: 877/1600
Zinc: 1012/1750
Moly: 48/79
Boron: 65/186

Given this isn't the best comparison because we're lacking a VOA for the V-Twin, but you can begin to see the differences in formulation between Mobil's HDEO and MC oil. Delvac utilizes a detergent blend of Cal/Mag while the V-Twin uses primarily Calcium alone, along with nearly double the Phosphorus, over 50% more Zinc, double the Moly, and nearly triple the Boron. While these numbers show that both are stout well formulated oils, it's obvious Mobil's V-Twin formulation is more robust; but is difference worth the cost of $9.99 per qt. at Walmart? I agree though, the other significant factor is the recommended viscosity for your application and subsequent oil temps, but many air cooled twins have been performing quite well on the thinner HDEO's, as is obvious by the fellow rider with 200K on his moto exclusively using Delvac.

BTW, here's the performance criteria for the HDEO's in CJ-4 on page 38, and JASO MA stats on page 108.

http://www.aftonchemical.com/Lists/Brochure/Attachments/40/Specification_Handbook.pdf

P.S: If anyone finds a VOA for either Mobil's MC 10W40/20W50, feel free to jump in!

Last edited:
Way cool.

I have hdeo in my bike but im expecting rather cool oil temps from now on. But its been said hdeo are really shout oils.

"Not as stout as they used to be. If you look at a VOA of a CI4+ HDEO versus the CJ4, they lowered the additive package."

Correct. To be in compliance with emissions regulations, additive levels have been reduced in the last decade across all (most?) brands. For example: Chevron Delo LE (Low Emissions) used to be "Low Wear Formula" and it had more moly ... as well as more of the other adds, I suspect.

I'd take a good look at all current HDEO formulations if you're hunting for the best add pack. Shella Rotella, Mobil Delvac and Chevron Delo seem to be the easiest to find in these parts. Don't forget Pennzoil Long Life. Everyone seems to ... it must be the vanilla name I'd guess. Also, if you have Tractor and Supply stores near you, you might give Mystik synth blend 15W-40 a try.

https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/product/ON_HIGHWAY/663003002

If your ride is your absolute pride and joy and must be fed the best, I'd opt for Schaeffer's 15W-40. In a perfect world, that would probably be at the very top of my list. Availability is just not gonna be as good as the mass-market oils.

I'd opt for a 15W-40 oil over Mobil 1 V-Twin based on price and availability. The HDEO's can be purchased in bulk and you can change it more often and still save $$$.

I think the reason Pennzoil Long Life is so easily forgotten is because after Shell bought Pennzoil it became the extra HDEO in the family and they continue to pour effort into Rotella.

My bike is a daily driver bobber and although i love it to death i have no history of PO miles nor maintenance. The motor is clean thanks to me, and yesterday with 80° heat the oil only reached 195° thanks to my massive oil cooler. Im waiting for the 115°+ weather to see what temps i get.

The motor is a ticking time bomb, 4"bore 4 3/8 stroke itl blow up one day despite what oil i run in it.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
all motors are ticking time bombs...some just have a really slow fuse.

Spoken like someone who knows their motors. They all die one day, the trick is knowing when to get ready!

Analyzer wrote..."While these numbers show that both are stout well formulated oils, it's obvious Mobil's V-Twin formulation is more robust; but is difference worth the cost of $9.99 per qt. at Walmart?"

This is the main reason I chose Delvac MX in the first place, after reading about how it was suitable for my Sportster.
I pay $6 litre for Delvac MX and the M1 V-Twin is $25 litre from a Mobil distributor local to me. I would use V-Twin at a small premium but not 400% more...!
BTW oil analysis shows the Delvac MX as a great oil in my bike and we don't get extreme heat in NZ.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back