Best rider in $2000 range

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my neighbors John Deere L111 for $500 with 95 hours on it. He developed back problems and farms out his yard work now. The mower has a B&S HP twin and runs great. Sharpened the dull blades, got my grease gun to work, changed the oil to 10w30 as recommended, changed the oil filter and gave it a wax job. Runs like a Deere but, I just saw a commercial that says the new Craftsman is faster:))

Last edited:
I have a Craftsman that I have had for 13 yrs...It's given me great service!

If you want a NEW lawn or garden tractor in that price range, take a look at the 46 inch models in the Snapper lineup. Snapper is now owned by Briggs & Stratton. And you can use a nearby lawn equipment dealer instead of dealing with HD or Lowe's.

One name that hasn't come up is Husqvarna, something bad about them or are they just a re-brand ?

and

I want to thank everyone for their advice.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
One name that hasn't come up is Husqvarna, something bad about them or are they just a re-brand ?

and

Actually, it's Husqvarna that gets rebranded. Craftsman is just one that's a rebranded Husqvarna, Ariens is another. Other than John Deere, most of your homeowner grade lawn tractors are either Husqvarna or MTD.

Originally Posted By: rryam
I have a Craftsman that I have had for 13 yrs...It's given me great service!

Our last Craftsman ran for over 10 years of brutal abuse with only the most minor repairs.

Most homeowners do not need a monster commercial grade mower. Buying a used one is a [censored], and they need maintenance and tinkering to keep running just like any complex piece of equipment that is ageing...

and

Husqvarna can be good. Like a lot of brands they make some good and some not so good stuff. Husqvarna's top of the line mowers will last a long time, their bottom level stuff is just built to lower specs.

Craftsman is a good example of this. Some of their bottom level mowers will last 5 years or so, while the bigger garden tractors are built to last a long time. Never buy the $999 riding mower at home depot and expect it to last.

Our John Deere is from home depot, but at the time it was the top of the line model. It was only sold for 2 years because it was more of a garden tractor, and they didn't sell well with the higher price. Ours is the same series as the lawn tractors, but it has a heavier frame, a Twin cylinder Kohler, and a Tuff Torq K66 heavy duty hydro trans.

It pays to do your research, don't buy just on brand names. The top of the line craftsman is much better than the lower or mid range john deere found at home depot.

I pulled the trigger on a Deere D105. It has the new "plastic" glass-reinforced-nylon CVT. (Link to maker's page: http://www.generaltransmissions.com/en/products/tractor/rt-400 ) After some research on the tractor forums, the consensus was that the mechanically simpler CVT "should" last longer than the T40 or K46 hydrostatic transmission used in the rest of the D100 series line. All that's inside the case is a reduction gear, reverse gear, and differential. There's not much to go wrong inside aside from breaking a tooth on a gear. I'm not thrilled that it's plastic, even though it supposedly can withstand a 850 lb load. I am thrilled that getting to the wear bits looks to be fairly easy.

I'll post up impressions once it's ready. The local dealer needs to come and do PDI on it before I can pick it up.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I pulled the trigger on a Deere D105. It has the new "plastic" glass-reinforced-nylon CVT. (Link to maker's page: http://www.generaltransmissions.com/en/products/tractor/rt-400 ) After some research on the tractor forums, the consensus was that the mechanically simpler CVT "should" last longer than the T40 or K46 hydrostatic transmission used in the rest of the D100 series line. All that's inside the case is a reduction gear, reverse gear, and differential. There's not much to go wrong inside aside from breaking a tooth on a gear. I'm not thrilled that it's plastic, even though it supposedly can withstand a 850 lb load. I am thrilled that getting to the wear bits looks to be fairly easy.

I'll post up impressions once it's ready. The local dealer needs to come and do PDI on it before I can pick it up.

Congrats, sounds like a sweet machine!

I pulled the trigger on a Deere D105. It has the new "plastic" glass-reinforced-nylon CVT. (Link to maker's page: http://www.generaltransmissions.com/en/products/tractor/rt-400 )

RT_400_1_375_232.png

Sciphi that's interesting! I haven't been participating on the OPE sites like I used to. I didn't know this company or transaxle existed.

To me, the differential and reverse gearing wouldn't be a problem, is the exposed variator sheave. I've got a bit of experience with MTDs version of this trans that's been on the market for decades (MTD Transmatic, also called their "CVT"). Either the belts stretch causing lots of slippage, or the bushing that the moveable sheave slides on, gets stiff from gunk or corrosion, and wont allow for proper sheave movement.

Good thing is, the variator side of this trans doesn't look like the MTD one. I have no idea how this one works.

Hi sciphi, good luck on your purchase. That trans looks like it should last.

I'm close to buying....Man I've looked at so many mowers I'm mower blind
laugh.gif

I might be wrong but it looks like you get the most for your money with Husqvarna. Husky I can get the Kawasaki 24hp and TT K66 hydro for a lot less $$$ than the same in JD. The JD would have a better frame and deck but is that worth the extra money over the Husky ??? The Husky dealer shared my concern on reliability of the TT K46 but told me the locking rear TT K46 is tougher than the regular K46. He said the regular K46 that had problems had MIM gears and the locking K46 has conventional steel gears that last longer. I don't know...??? I would feel better about the TT K66 over the locking K46.

I'll look a bit more before I decide.

Thanks!

I went with the JD D105 since it had a lot of little things that will make using it easier for me and the Mrs. Things like a gas gauge, a gas tank that's not next to the engine with a fill opening that's not vertical, an hour meter with maintenance intervals preprogrammed, and an oil drain that won't dump oil onto the frame. Plus the starter solenoid, fuse, and relay are all out in the open. Big-box $1500 Deere it may be, but the common maintenance stuff was better thought-out than the competition. I have the luxury of having a flat, open, small-ish (by riding mower terms) lawn with few obstacles, so purchasing a smaller machine that looked to be easier to live with was a viable option.

Does your lawn need a larger mower, or can a smaller machine with more bells and whistles do the job?

Does your lawn need a larger mower, or can a smaller machine with more bells and whistles do the job?

I could get by just fine with what you bought, fact is my mower still works great so I don't need a new one. I just want a new mower that my wife can jump on, she's not going to do that on the one I have.

also

I have this thing in my head about quality and I'm cheap money wise. I know that quality and cheap don't seem to go together but they do, I'll explain...

If you buy something that's high quality it last longer, spend more in the beginning will cost less in the long run. I bought my mower back in the 70's and it's still going strong today. That mower cost some bucks but look how much I saved over the years because I did so....

I don't know, at my age I don't really need a mower that will still be running 20yrs after I'm dead...haha. I should just pat myself on the back for what I did in the 70's and move on to a new era, buy something that reality dictates....scary to do that because when I'm alone in the garage with my new mower and no one is looking...I know I'll be hugging, talking to, admiring the mechanic beauty...ahhh the Kawasaki & K66 will have that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Crazy huh ?

Thanks

Buy what makes you happy, and what your wife will use. Mine will have an easier time using what I bought since it has little things like a gas gauge and an easy to fill gas tank. The competition in that price range wasn't as easy to use.

JDs tend to be very nice in terms of operator room/comfort. Even the entry level models.

Still intrigued by this General Transmissions CVT.

Best I can tell from the vid, the variator sheave is actuated by some sort of pivot on the bottom. Interesting.

There was a big buzz 2yrs ago or so, in regards to a real nifty looking toroidal CVT system being used in the OPE realm, with emphasis on the ZTR market. Apparently it never took off?

I could get by just fine with what you bought, fact is my mower still works great so I don't need a new one. I just want a new mower that my wife can jump on, she's not going to do that on the one I have.

also

I have this thing in my head about quality and I'm cheap money wise. I know that quality and cheap don't seem to go together but they do, I'll explain...

If you buy something that's high quality it last longer, spend more in the beginning will cost less in the long run. I bought my mower back in the 70's and it's still going strong today. That mower cost some bucks but look how much I saved over the years because I did so....

I don't know, at my age I don't really need a mower that will still be running 20yrs after I'm dead...haha. I should just pat myself on the back for what I did in the 70's and move on to a new era, buy something that reality dictates....scary to do that because when I'm alone in the garage with my new mower and no one is looking...I know I'll be hugging, talking to, admiring the mechanic beauty...ahhh the Kawasaki & K66 will have that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Crazy huh ?

Thanks

Go for the Kawasaki and K66, you will smile the whole time you operate it.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: JTK
JDs tend to be very nice in terms of operator room/comfort. Even the entry level models.

Still intrigued by this General Transmissions CVT.

Best I can tell from the vid, the variator sheave is actuated by some sort of pivot on the bottom. Interesting.

Good catch. I didn't notice that. If anything, when the linkage, belt, or variator go out, it'll be pretty easy to diagnose since the machine won't go forward when the pedal is depressed. Also, no unintended acceleration!

I will post a little review once I get some seat time.

[..If anything, when the linkage, belt, or variator go out, it'll be pretty easy to diagnose since the machine won't go forward when the pedal is depressed.

I'm sure it won't be super easy being packed up under there, but hopefully it won't be too bad to service. I know on the MTD "CVTs". They don't typically just stop working, you just annoyingly loose your range of speeds to the point you just have one slowish speed left because of lack of variator motion.

Last edited:
I'm surprised not many recommended a Snapper. I have one from the 80s and it has been flawless. Just routine maintenance. Handles well and costs about $1,800 in today's money.

I went back to JD and bought the used JD Z445 25hp Kawasaki I mentioned earlier. It's in great shape, close to new looking and mechanically as you can get...87 hrs. Comes with new blades and battery, they changed all the fluids & filters. 3g out the door.

Originally Posted By: JTK
The JD Z445 doesn't look like anything special to me. I see the JD price is about $5000 for them new.

They've got HydroGear ZT2800 drives, which each will have it's own spin-on filter. I had those drives on my Cub Z-Force 44".

I'd be more excited about it if it had separate pump and motor drive like JDs of this size used to have.

IMO, I'd spend ~$3500 on a nice JD conventional rider.

nope, This one has the Tuff Torq Kunzuko wheel motor system with large pump & large hydraulic tank & filter. Unlike the new models this one is fully serviceable. JD guy said this one has commercial grade drive. He did say that to be fair they haven't had any problems with the residential grade drives in the new models.

For what I paid it's $ 2,000 cheaper than new, fully serviceable like the commercial mowers, and sure looks like it's better built than GT riders in the $3,000 class...guess time will tell.

I'll post proof of purchase (pic's) after I pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks to all....carry on
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back