Saturn Dexron III compatible Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to do an Automatic transmission service for a 2001 Saturn SC2 which calls for a special Dexron III/Saturn spec which is not available any longer.

I can't use Dexron 6 because this transmission is excluded from the backwards compatibilty statements in the GM bulletin. It looks like the best choice is a universal ATF meeting Dexron III spec that is available from Valvoline, Castrol, etc. I was wanting to use Maxlife but found out it is Dex 6 so that is out.

What are you Saturn owners using with good results?

Last edited:
You can/should use any Dexron III equivalent fluid.

If you want to use a synthetic equivalent to Dex III, use Amsoil ATF.

I use Amsoil ATF on all 3 of my S-Series cars.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk

thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like Amsoil ATF is a winner based on your outstanding experience with the S- series!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: Turk

thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like Amsoil ATF is a winner based on your outstanding experience with the S- series!

Absolutely, positively yes!
smile.gif

Dex III will work just fine. You can use MaxLife too if you wish. I used to own an SL2 and only ever used Dex III. I scrapped the car with the original tranny still in it. I had the car since new and that tranny had a hard life, trust me. I love the fact that the filter was a spin on type. Service was done every 50k kms. HTH

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Maxlife dex / merc would work well too if you want synthetic. A little cheaper than Amsoil also. About $17 a gallon around these parts.

I actually bought a jug but found out it was Dex6 spec'd so it cannot be used in a Saturn. That was why I decided to ask the guys here what they use. I was looking forward to the Maxlife too.

It will probably be fine. People on Saturnfans seem to like it and have no problems with it.

Remember, even though Dex6 starts out thinner, it shears down less than Dex3, so they end up around the same viscosity at the end.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
It will probably be fine. People on Saturnfans seem to like it and have no problems with it.

Remember, even though Dex6 starts out thinner, it shears down less than Dex3, so they end up around the same viscosity at the end.

Thanks for the feedback. In that case perhaps I will just use the Maxlife I bought and see how it goes.

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~saturnfa/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23271&d=1302366695

This is curious. They refer service bulletin 04-07-30-037C and just say the following transmissions "weren't designed" for Dex6.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~saturnfa/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23271&d=1302366695

This is curious. They refer service bulletin 04-07-30-037C and just say the following transmissions "weren't designed" for Dex6.

That is true, I mentioned that in my original post. It is because the Saturn S series transmission is not a GM trans. Only GM transmissions are backwards compatible with Dex6.

What does that mean though? What about the other ones, where do you get Dex III? It's kind of like saying an engine isn't backwards compatible with SN oil.

By definition nothing can meet the Dex III spec. Does GM sell a specific ATF for these cars?

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
That is true, I mentioned that in my original post. It is because the Saturn S series transmission is not a GM trans. Only GM transmissions are backwards compatible with Dex6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back