What is a reliable newer car with decent MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an expert on smaller cars, so I'd like some input for a buddy of mine.

He currently owns a 2001 Chevy Malibu with over 200k miles. Its a bit rusty, has some other issues including a coolant leak which I believe is the intake gaskets common on this engine.

Hes looking for a newer car, he doesn't want to go over $16,000. He'd like a 4 door, good gas mileage "sporty" car. He mentioned a hatch back as well. He'd like something reliable, and he isn't the best on maintenance. I'm thinking maybe a Toyota or Scion, or maybe a Honda.

Any input?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Most hatchbacks I know are 2 doors, are you sure there's a 4 door hatch?

VW Golf is available as a 4-door hatchback (I think they call it a 5-door, technically).

With those qualifications, I'd be looking at a newer Subaru Impreza. Possibly a Toyota Matrix.

My guess is that you'll hear a lot of Mazda suggestions, but I don't know much about Madzas personally.

It's just not specific enough. There are 30 good cars that meet your description. Tell him to buy a Mazda 3 or CX 5 and be done with it. Both are 4 door hatchy sporty cars with decent mileage.

Yeah I know the requirements are general, that is the problem I'm having.
lol.gif

He likes the Mazda 3. How are they reliability wise? He keeps vehicles until they no longer drive.

Mazda3, Golf, Focus, Matrix, Elantra, are a few 4 door hatches/wagons. They all would be sporty compared to a Malibu too I guess. The Golf, Matrix, and Mazda3 have bigger motors available too, but with a mileage penalty.

LOL pretty much every new car these days is fairly reliable and gets good MPG.

I think any of the ones people have mentioned in this thread would be fine. If he likes the Mazda3, that's a solid choice.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I think any of the ones people have mentioned in this thread would be fine. If he likes the Mazda3, that's a solid choice.

This^^

Why not a 2014 Impala?

Originally Posted By: dparm

True. But by reliable I mean little maintenance. I probably didn't word it right, but I'd say a Toyota is different then owning a Volkswagen or BMW. He isn't really a car guy. I'll check out the Mazda 3.

How about a new Fiesta five door with the turbo I-3? I think the price hovers at around $16,000 and the fuel economy is on the crazy good side. The next Honda Fit looks like it should be a pretty good option as well.

Mazda 3 hatchback is the best combination of reliability, performance, fuel mileage etc. Great cars. You can find probably 2011 and older years with low mileage for under 15K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Get the ST and have some fun

^^This. I love those cars,FUN to drive!!

I've had several Mazdas ( 2 Miatas and 2 Speed3's) and they were great for gas mileage and reliability. All 4 were (are) great drivers. My current Mazda is a 2013 Mazdaspeed3 that I absolutely love. Great cars IMHO.

I've only had the Buick Regal CXL for 3 months, so I can't speak to its long-term reliability or how much maintenance it'll need. But it is a 4-door, is semi-sporty (especially if he goes for the Turbo model), and gets decent mileage on regular (I'm seeing 23 mpg, but it's a heavy car). And he won't see 50 of 'em every day on his commute, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back