Clicked over 300,000 miles today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I hit 300K in the 96 Max. Its been on a diet of 5W30 Supertech (Wal*Mart) oil at 4K changes Since I bought it 4-5 years ago.

1e356984-9f75-4425-8663-94e620d4cb58_zpsa0ab9ce7.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Original engine and transmission?

I haven't replace them myself, and as far as I can tell its all original.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Awesome! Nissan VG engine?

VQ30DE... a really excellent engine for the time.

I had a 98 and it was a very reliable car. I don't own the car, but I know who does and it's still running in 250k+ miles range. Here's the kicker -- the TIMING BELT HAS NEVER BEEN CHANGED!
wink.gif

That's such a rewarding sight.

When my '87 Monte Carlo rolled over 250,000 miles... it just looked like 50,000 all over again...
frown.gif
... but I knew that it was for the third time.

The fourth gen Maxima was built like a tank, innovative and before its time like a Panzer, with the reliability and serviceability of a Sherman. I have replaced the valve cover gaskets, struts, radiator, coolant twice, gear oil twice, passenger side axle, and rebooted the OEM drivers side axle, flushed the brake fluid and did pads(four wheel discs), replaced belts yesterday, and kept up on the oil changes and tune up stuff.

I bought this car for $1,600.00 cash and have spent far less than I would have in car payments over the years.

The VQ30DE and DE-K of 2000-2001 uses three timing chains that last forever.

I have never cleaned under the hood and this is what it looks like today.
2014-04-16_11-56-31_514_zpsngxj3te6.jpg

engine_zpsc1442414.jpg

Originally Posted By: asand1
Today I hit 300K in the 96 Max. Its been on a diet of 5W30 Supertech (Wal*Mart) oil at 4K changes Since I bought it 4-5 years ago.

1e356984-9f75-4425-8663-94e620d4cb58_zpsa0ab9ce7.jpg

Nice! So how many miles did it have when you purchased it? The previous owber should also be commended. What oil/filter combo did he/she use and what were the OCIs?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
which side of the cluster is the illuminated check engine light? :)

Its not on this week, however I have had an intermittent CEL for evap.

Unfortunately I don't know the maintenance history.

That thing is unreal clean for 300K.
Maybe I should move to Oregon. You don't see 4th gens around here anymore because they are rotted to their graves. Sad indeed.

Nice car and congrats
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: asand1
Originally Posted By: Vikas
which side of the cluster is the illuminated check engine light? :)

Its not on this week, however I have had an intermittent CEL for evap.

Unfortunately I don't know the maintenance history.

I took my 98 Max from around 63k to about 210k+ and I only had a couple of problems:

1) I had to replace the evap purge valve, I guess it's located in a bad spot and ends up getting rusted up.

2) I had a problem with an injector leaking down. It would take a long time to start and then blow black smoke at startup. I had a "fuel injector clean" done at a local shop and it fixed it.

3) Had to replace the radiator fans and the cabin fan.

The motor LOOKS familiar, but I never really got to know it because I never had to work on it.

I weighed mine (1998 SE auto) and it was right at 3000 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back