Interesting observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just helped my B-I-L change the oil on his '09 Corolla. I'm a big fan of using OEM filters when I work on other people's vehicles, so I picked up one at the local 'Yota stealerhip. Well, I can't really call them a stealership as the filter was $5.00 plus tax. Mind you, they don't know me from Adam so that was not a discounted price. When I was at Wally's yesterday, I looked at the FRAM Extra Guard as there is no Tough Guard or Ultra version, and while the filter looked well-made, it was also $6.53. Same FRAM (CH10358) is $9.49 at AAP. In this case, as in the case of the MC FL820S for Fords, I can't see any reason not to use OEM.

If you are referring to the Toyota Denso oil filter made in Thailand, the price is average. If you are referring to the OEM Japanese made Denso oil filter which came on the vehicle when it was new, you got a steal.

Sorry I wasn't clear...this is the Thailand one.

Maybe Toyota is more reasonable than most when it comes to filter pricing, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that they weren't gouging me like most dealers. Seems like AAP is the one doing the gouging in this case.

Then again, no one knows if those foam filters are any better or worse than the traditional paper filter.

He wouldn't have gotten one anyway, those are now only available in the gray market.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
If you are referring to the Toyota Denso oil filter made in Thailand, the price is average. If you are referring to the OEM Japanese made Denso oil filter which came on the vehicle when it was new, you got a steal.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I can't see any reason not to use OEM.

That's certainly the case for my car. I can get an OEM filter from Amazon for less than $6. A non-OEM filter from one of the auto part stores would have been over $10. And Walmart doesn't even carry a replacement filter for this application.

Price is my only gripe against Fram filters. Unless Fram is running one of their occasional rebates, Fram filters are expensive when compared to other filters of similar, or even better quality.

The Fram Tough Guard 3387 for my Alero is about $6 at Wally World. I stocked up on NAPA Gold filters during their semi-annual sale, and paid somewhere around $3.75.

I'm a big fan of using OEM filters when I work on other people's vehicles...

Same here. Anytime I've had to change a friend's oil, and they want me to pick it out, I go with the OEM filter. And after being on this site for awhile, I like OEM filters.
01 Mustang GT, 03 Cobra, 04 Mustang GT, 05 Mustang GT, F-150... all running Motorcraft.
2000 Buick Park Avenue running an AC-Delco. And those are mine and my family's. Zero issues so far, and I would venture to guess I would have had zero problems so far running any other filter. But I wouldn't run a Fram... although I did for years. So, it's more of peace of mind to me about Fram, because I have no bad experience, personally.

Same here, I get my Toyota filters from the dealer in a box, forget 10 or 12, I've only had to do it twice so far, cost each so why bother with anything else?

I like your logic, it is rare I change someone else's oil, but it does happen. If they don't provide their own filter, I'll just use OEM.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Same here, I get my Toyota filters from the dealer in a box, forget 10 or 12, I've only had to do it twice so far, cost each so why bother with anything else?

I like your logic, it is rare I change someone else's oil, but it does happen. If they don't provide their own filter, I'll just use OEM.

Why do you want to use a filter with a known 60% efficiency rating at 20 mics, when the orange can filters at 94% ?

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: HangFire

Why do you want to use a filter with a known 60% efficiency rating at 20 mics, when the orange can filters at 94% ?

http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/fram-extra-guard-oil-filter.aspx?altTemplate=mobileproduct

And I believe motorking (Jay) said it is closer to 96%

I bought 3 PH3614 filters today at Lowe's for $1.59 each.

2 reasons:

1) There's no definitive proof that oil filter efficiency directly correlates to engine longevity.

2) Toyota builds some very tough engines that are used (abused) in many parts of the world where cars are not...shall we say...over-maintained like they are here in America. If 60% efficiency is what Toyota specs for their filters, then I have to believe it's sufficient for anything my sister and B-I-L can dish out.

2 reasons:

1) There's no definitive proof that oil filter efficiency directly correlates to engine longevity.

2) Toyota builds some very tough engines that are used (abused) in many parts of the world where cars are not...shall we say...over-maintained like they are here in America. If 60% efficiency is what Toyota specs for their filters, then I have to believe it's sufficient for anything my sister and B-I-L can dish out.

I'll add
3) There are no "orange can" filters made for this engine.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I'll add
3) There are no "orange can" filters made for this engine...

While there may be no orange can per se because it's a cartridge filter, there is an Extra Guard equivalent cartridge.

As for the topic, I would say two anecdotal OEM/aftermarket price comparison examples do not a rule make. If I was doing and oil an filter change for another person, I'd likely offer to let them pick the filter including oem, but that would just be a CYA move. That being if something went wrong, wouldn't want filter choice to be on me.

As opposed to topic'd example, with spin on filters, silicone adbv filters with 'generally' better efficiency and lower price can be easily found. And as a cartridge example, I can get Napa Gold(Wix) for about half the cost or Hyundai/Kia oem, and the quality is every bit as good as oem. Made in the same country as oem too.

Bottom line just depends on the specific application, oci and whether one just prefers oem. In the case of Honda and Toyota spin on, I'll take readily available aftermarket silicone adbv filters over the oem for the same or usually less cost.

I think Toyota prefer flow-rate over efficiency when it comes to their oil filters. When I used Purolator Classic filters on my Corolla, it tend to make some small noise during early operation of the car. It seems as if it going into bypass mode. I never got that noise using a Fram Extra Guard previously and even now with a Denso filter. It could be just Purolator's fault, but from what I've read about, Fram (orange can) and Denso do have a higher flow-rate compare to other aftermarket filters. I too would prefer Toyota OEM filters if they didn't want charge us over $10 here in BC, Canada.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back