Honda Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: asharris7
Agree, Honda OEM PS fluid is the way to go . Engine oil and Trans you can deviate a little bit.

There, fixed it for you. But seriously Honda Genuine OEM is the way to go for power steering fluid. I just bought 4 bottles of it at the dealer and have been sucking and refilling the reservoir with a turkey baster about every 2 weeks. The fluid is getting less dark every time. Also, it doesn't take long for this fluid to get dark as you have already mentioned.

Prove me wrong on the Trans and I'll eat my words...yeeeah..

Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Lucas synthetic Power Steering fluid in all my vehicles. Very good stuff...

Yes but do you run it in a Honda

Run anything but Honda approved PS fluid in a Honda and you'll have leaks in short order.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509

Run anything but Honda APPROVED PS fluid in a Honda and you'll have leaks in short order.

100% correct.
Seal damage is practically guaranteed!
DO NOT USE A PRODUCT IF IT DOESN'T SPECIFICALLY STATE THAT IT IS
APPROVED FOR HONDA/ACURA USE!

Same goes for Trans fluid, if the manufacturer does NOT state is it compatible with either Z-1 or DW-1 depending on your model
DO NOT USE IT!

Originally Posted By: Blokey
I've been using Redline PSF in my '00 Acura 3.2TL for years and never had a problem.

Interestingly Red Line does not list Honda/Accura as an application for their power steering fluid:

Red Line Power Steering

Ditto Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

How often do you change it though?

For the first couple years I've owned the car (bought in '02) I did an ATF d&f (~2.8 qts) once a year. More recently (the last two or so years) I've been doing an ATF d&f at each oil change, and I do 2 oil changes per year.

I do the PSF d&f once a year (about a pint I think although I've never actually measured it).

Ok, so the long transmission life probably has more to do with the frequent drain and fills instead of the fluid brand.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: paulo57509

Run anything but Honda APPROVED PS fluid in a Honda and you'll have leaks in short order.

100% correct.
Seal damage is practically guaranteed!
DO NOT USE A PRODUCT IF IT DOESN'T SPECIFICALLY STATE THAT IT IS
APPROVED FOR HONDA/ACURA USE!

Same goes for Trans fluid, if the manufacturer does NOT state is it compatible with either Z-1 or DW-1 depending on your model
DO NOT USE IT!

^ this cracked me up. This is the same guy who PM'd me trashing Amsoil.

Not sure why one wouldn't simply use the Honda-approved method to change the PS fluid. Disconnect the return line from the PS reservoir. Place the hose into a suitable container. Start the engine (preferably have a helper do this while you keep the hose in the container). Turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock until the fluid flow stops. Refill.

That was the method specified in my OEM Honda service manual. I went one step beyond and used a barbed hose connector to lengthen the return hose to make it easier to remove the fluid without making a mess.

I'm sure some of you BITOG people think you'll implode the PS system by running it dry, but it never caused me an issue in 355,000 miles. And, I used Honda/Prestone/Bardhal "Honda" fluids interchangeably.

I did all the time when I owned both a Honda CRV and a Acura MDX... It says right on the front of the bottle that its for all power steering systems including Honda... I never had any leaks for the 5-7 years that I owned the CRV or MDX.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Irishamerican
Do not veer away from OEM fluids in a Honda...Power Steering fluid, Coolant, MTF, ATF and DPF fluids must all be OEM. Don't worry about the color of your PS fluid, change it again in 20,000 miles if you're worried about it. That's one of the main reasons as to why Honda's as so reliable....Keep on driving your Honda it's way more reliable than most if not every car out there now. They make the finest naturally aspirated engine in the world and I am a German car nut!

I disagree that Honda is way more reliable. My 03 Honda Accord [censored] an auto transmission at 75000 miles ($4200),followed by the ABS control module ($1100), and followed by the 6 disc CD changer ($650). Now it has 110,000 miles on the engine and it needs a timing belt change and lower control arms ($1000). Other than the timing belt change, the others speak very lowly of Honda reliability...

Obviously off topic, I had to replace 2 5AT's in my 03 Odyssey. I honestly can't wait to have 2 Subaru's. Just have to drive the wheels of this Civic first....

I used to think Honda was a reliable brand, they may have been at one time. My step-father works at the Honda plant and builds Accords. He drives a brand new Subaru for a reason. He said he will never buy a new Honda, and in his opinion, the quality has gone WAY downhill in the last decade or so. Obviously, IMHO.

i used to think they were reliable as well. I use honda oem atf, coolant, and power steering fluid. I honestly don't know if it will make it to 120000 miles. I even change the at fluid once a year like the Honda mechanic suggested after the new trans was installed. Honda customer service stated they only offer a 3 year, 36000 mile warranty. Next month will be warranty kaput. This really bites.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
I've been using Redline PSF in my '00 Acura 3.2TL for years and never had a problem.

Interestingly Red Line does not list Honda/Accura as an application for their power steering fluid:

Red Line Power Steering

Ditto Amsoil.

Most likely it is because the Redline fluid's 100C viscosity is not high enough.

Most of Honda's PSF fluids are around 11 cSt@100C, whereas Redline's is approx. 6.5cSt@100C.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Obviously off topic, I had to replace 2 5AT's in my 03 Odyssey. I honestly can't wait to have 2 Subaru's. Just have to drive the wheels of this Civic first....

I used to think Honda was a reliable brand, they may have been at one time. My step-father works at the Honda plant and builds Accords. He drives a brand new Subaru for a reason. He said he will never buy a new Honda, and in his opinion, the quality has gone WAY downhill in the last decade or so. Obviously, IMHO.

My 96 civic had original brake fluid, just changed it no issues. PSF is next which also original and doesn't leak.
Had a 00 civic drive it to 320k with barely changing my oil every 3-15k on the mood, other then your average maintenance it was a perfectly reliable car.
My dad's 97 accord 280k original trans fluid, shifted perfectly like my 00 civic without a trans fluid change as well.

I agree that honda reliability is bad now compared to before, 01+ civics, 98+ accords were the start of honda reliability going down the drain.

Can you prove the OEM Honda fluid is better than Amsoil ATF?
Lots of Honda ticking bomb transmissions are staying together on Amsoil ATF that let go multiple times with OEM Honda fluid.
Want some salt and pepper with that? How about a knife and fork?

Originally Posted By: Trav

Lots of Honda ticking bomb transmissions are staying together on Amsoil ATF that let go multiple times with OEM Honda fluid.

I had Amsoil ATF that was perfectly clean and changed on a regular basis in my 03 Ody. Replaced TWO transmissions! Amsoil doesn't help these 5AT's. I am not bashing Amsoil, I have a case of Amsoil XL 0w20 sitting in the garage and Amsoil Severe Gear in the Diffs. Just do some research before you post pompous big headed statements like this.....

The ATF is not the problem with the 5AT. It is lack of lubrication, please research it.

What are you telling me i don't know?
I could go into the different problems for the various years but whats the point, go Google it.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: Trav

I had Amsoil ATF that was perfectly clean and changed on a regular basis in my 03 Ody. Replaced TWO transmissions! Amsoil doesn't help these 5AT's. I am not bashing Amsoil, I have a case of Amsoil XL 0w20 sitting in the garage and Amsoil Severe Gear in the Diffs. Just do some research before you post pompous big headed statements like this.....

The ATF is not the problem with the 5AT. It is lack of lubrication, please research it.

I have no dog in this fight but there's really no need for name calling. I had the honor to actually meet and work with Trav and when it comes to cars and repair he's the best in the business. He's proven this to me time and time again. Recently he solved an issue that 4 of the so called best mechanics in the area and a Ford dealer couldn't resolve in several attempts. He made the diagnosis in minutes and was spot on.

I learned by working with him to heed his advise. We discussed this Honda transmission in great lengths, I sold Honda's and am fully aware of the issue. Amsoil ATF seems to be a better choice of ATF than the Honda fluid. BTW I'm no fan of Amsoil, but I do know Trav is very familiar with this transmission and its problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back