hyundai did a bg44 intake cleaning on my veloster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I took my car to Hyundai. My car was making a weird noise around 1,800 rpms under load. The tech took a ride with me and he said he knows whats making that sound. He said my intake valves needed to be cleaned. I doubted him and said that it cant be because I use shell gas and mobil and exxon gas 90 percent of the time and they are all top tier fuels. And also I used tectron cleaner every 10,000 miles so far because sometimes I cant get top tier. He said trust me these di engines are known to gum up with carbon. Well I said okay do it . He said he was gonna use bg44 intake cleaner and do a fuel system flush. Well it worked the sound was gone and the car does have more pep. I wasn't happy when I got the bill because I don't believe that should be considered routine maintenance but whatever. I mean the tech actually said its a known problem. Well if its a known problem shouldn't Hyundai pick up the tab. Anyways the thing I was wondering is if I should change my oil today because of it. ID hate too waste the oil I just changed a week or two ago. Also my veloster only has 41,000 miles on it and needed a cleaning. Its obvious that Hyundai hasn't worked out the carbon problem on there di engines. Also I guess using top of the line synthetics 5w30 flavor doesn't make a difference on carbon on the valves. I change my oil and filters at 3,750 because of the di engine. But I guess that doesn't help either. From now on ill be using tectron every oil change. Also the tech after going for a test drive with me said I should get on this car and rev it out sometimes. I babied this car since new. Well I guess there is nothing we can do as owners of these di engines. If top tier gas and using syn oils doesn't work even with a tectron dosing here and there then I don't know what will.

110.00 dollars aint so bad I guess but I just feel that Hyundai shouldof picked up this tab since its a known issue according to there tech.

If that cleaning process goes in through the intake manifold rather than the fuel delivery system, then that is why it cleaned the valves and your tectron maintenance hasn't. The fuel shooting into the center of the cylinder probably doesn't do much for cleaning the valves like the older systems that shot the fuel through the valves to get to the cylinder.

Yeah it was through the manifold I believe . I mean he didn't put anything in my fuel tank. I just cant believe that this car needed a cleaning like that already. Its a non turbo . I use synthetic and change every 3,750 miles. I use top tier gas and tectron. I mean what else can a person do. In the manual it states to use tectron and top tier fuel. Well its obvious Hyundai doesn't have an answer either besides come on in and we will charge you for something we knew would happen.

Adding techron to the tank and using top-tier fuel will do nothing to keep your intake valves clean, so adding more frequently will not help.

You may know some or all of this already, but your comments lead me to believe that your understanding of the problem is limited:

1. Port-injection injects fuel into a port upstream of the intake valves, allowing for fuel and air to be drawn into the cylinder on the suction stroke of the piston. In this case, a good fuel or additive mixed in with the fuel will help to clean or maintain clean the intake valves of any unwanted deposition (namely oil vapor) that enters the intake tract via the positive crank-case ventilation system, as well as combustion byproducts via the EGR system, so far as I know.

2. Direct Injection (DI) systems, as the name implies, inject fuel directly into the cylinder, bypassing the intake tract and intake valves entirely. Because of this, fuel injection has little impact on intake valve cleanliness.

3. I need to read more on the different designs, but I know the intake deposit issues of early and/or poorly designed DI systems have been mitigated, in part, due to better-designed PCV systems. I can't recall where I read that, so I to begin to tell you what those changes are, but they must have something to do with providing a torturous path and some way of condensing the oil vapor and returning it to the sump while still maintaining a vacuum in the sump.

Killed it by babying it.
You cant baby a 1.2hp/cu-in tune engine. My Honda gets CC impeding deposits in as little as 2 days of conservative driving. I suspect you have ash deposited piston tops + CC ,not so much valve bowl performance giving the zero deck knock you were diagnosed.
Over-changing a high DP syn will cause MORE cc deposits as there are more available free earth metal compounds and higher volatility sump when refreshened.

Over changing synthetic and babying the engine HURTS the car.

Ericf , I change it at 3,750 because Hyundai said too. These di engines are hard on oil and I believe em because I can smell fuel big time when I change my oil. Plus everyone says with a di engine that syns hold up better. Lower noack and so on and so on. But now I don't what to believe about the di engines besides im screwed every 30 to 40 thousand miles.

wow arco that sounded serious . I think I get what your saying kinda. But according to Hyundai I am in the severe category and They said to change my oil atleast by 4k. Fuel dilution issues, cold weather, idle times for in the winter. Short tripping which is what the cars does mostly.

I thought about a catch can when the car was new. But people on hear said it would void the warranty. Maybe pvc valve change idk

If you have a Walmart you trust you could get their $20 fuel injector service which actually goes through the air intake as well as a fuel tank additive.

Or DIY with the 3M kit often available for $20 with rebate.

You can even spend more and get the 3M or Gumout professional kit that meters the intake chemical just like the shops do. If you're doing this often, that might be even better.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
Ericf , I change it at 3,750 because Hyundai said too. These di engines are hard on oil and I believe em because I can smell fuel big time when I change my oil. Plus everyone says with a di engine that syns hold up better. Lower noack and so on and so on. But now I don't what to believe about the di engines besides im screwed every 30 to 40 thousand miles.
How many miles a year do you accumulate?

BG recommends doing this service every 15k but I recommend every 30-50k. It's a great service. However, my personal cars get Amsoil a Power Foam thru the intake and a bottle of amsoil pi fuel treatment. $20 and I'm done!!!

Might as well get a PCV catch can. DI engines should come with some sort of air/oil separator already, not something from the old carburetor days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back