Maxlife ATF for VW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me if Maxlife ATF is suitable for use in a 2008 VW Beetle 2.5l Auto? The data sheet lists a couple of different Vw numbers but I'm having a hard time finding out what this car should use.

The car has 146k on the odo, and I don't believe that the trans fluid (or any fluids for that matter aside from engine oil) has ever been changed. I was planning on doing a couple of drain and fills on the transmission over the next few thousand miles.

If the Maxlife is not acceptable to use, can someone recommend another option? Not familiar with VW's and the owners manual doesn't even really list fluid specs other than the 502 oil, g12 coolant and dot 4 brake fluid. I am also looking for a coolant as well as power steering fluid to use.

Thanks

Should be the 09G trans. Not sure on the ML, but Amsoil is recommended. You can probably find the OEM fluid online, which is what I would use.

Recommend going with an OEM product. Probably Febi or
Castrol branded which can likely be ordered on line at a good price.

Unless MaxLife states it meets the VW specs do NOT use it!

A 2008 with a 140k I would be inclined to just drain and refill. I would also oem it. Call mobil and see what the say, once you find a product they use then maybe you can compare. Called Valvoline today, service was garbage but to each his own. I bet that oem fluid is a castrol equivalent.

I'd be inclined to stick with VW fluid, but I've also read elsewhere that Merc V has been used with success though I have never tried it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Can anyone tell me if Maxlife ATF is suitable for use in a 2008 VW Beetle 2.5l Auto? The data sheet lists a couple of different Vw numbers but I'm having a hard time finding out what this car should use.

The car has 146k on the odo, and I don't believe that the trans fluid (or any fluids for that matter aside from engine oil) has ever been changed. I was planning on doing a couple of drain and fills on the transmission over the next few thousand miles.

If the Maxlife is not acceptable to use, can someone recommend another option? Not familiar with VW's and the owners manual doesn't even really list fluid specs other than the 502 oil, g12 coolant and dot 4 brake fluid. I am also looking for a coolant as well as power steering fluid to use.

Thanks

Castrol might have a listing that you can cross reference into Maxlife ATF, if not get the part number from your manual or VW dealer and see if it's on the Maxlife atf list

I doo like Maxlife ATF, smells like grapefruit but tastes much different

Last edited:
Get the OEM Factory fluid. I feel with tranmissions its a must.. Now in the old days transmission were not as advanced as they are today and they better off with the factory ATF.

Until I see a AT say Factory Filled with Valvoline Maxx Life or Factory Filled with Amosoil or Factory filled with After Market brand X. Till that day I will use Factory Fluid.

Now... if your tranny is acting weird and you know its probably going to have to be changed / repaired then by all means try somthing... Maxx Life or Lucas... but if you have a perfectly running AT... Then use Factory ATF.

My Google skills must be depleting. Yxou think it would be easy to find a fluid spec sheet for this car. The Maxlife has a listing for a couple of different vw numbers. And I do believe it is a 6spd auto.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Yes, you can use Maxlife.

check out this handy guide from Valvoline

This cool! Thank you. Says it uses Toyota fluid? Interesting. Is this a Toyota transmission?

Not a Toyota trans, but an Aisin Warner. Yes, VW did make a spec for the trans fluid for it, but really it's just JWS-3309 fluid or T-IV. Maxlife would be perfectly acceptable to use in the 09G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back