2014 Nissan Altima rental review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Mykl, the programming they do for EPA figures is ridiculous, IMO it makes the car un-drivable. After this extended test drive I have all but lost interest in any car with a CVT transmission. I personally feel that a 6-7 speed performs much better, you retain the fuel economy figures, drivability is not compromised and most importantly you don't [censored] off the end consumer!

Anyways, getting a little of base here..... In the end the Altima was very well built, it rode great and got great fuel economy. It had one major flaw that crosses it ( any maybe any CVT powered vehicle) off my list, the CVT and engine combo. There is no possible way that I could ever drive that car every day.

I am curious what a brand new one drives like and may swing into a Nissan dealer by my house to take one for a spin. I have a really hard time believing Nissan actually released something like that into production. If it really is that terrible I also want to know who in their right mind would buy one?!

My SIL/BIL rented a 2014 Altima in California while visiting her daughter grand children. They disliked the New Altima stating it was a loose feeling & rattle box POS. And they love my '04 Altima. They don't like the CVT either.

We have another family member that has replaced the CVT in their ROGUE, 3 times. The OE, the 2nd one, a 3rd one and before they went for a 4th one(which they would have soon), they traded in for a Murano...IDKY!

Last edited:
32.gif
Hokiefyd, I prefer a full torque converter lock, and IMO, with six forward ratios, there is almost no need for an unlocked TCC except to launch from a standstill.
This is how Mazda has their Skyactiv automatic programmed, so clearly it can be done, and Mazda's latest AT is very smooth, noticeably more than Toyota's. When I test drove the Mazda6 and Mazda3 last year I thought someone has finally done an automatic transmission the way I would!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
32.gif
Hokiefyd, I prefer a full torque converter lock, and IMO, with six forward ratios, there is almost no need for an unlocked TCC except to launch from a standstill.

I thought I did, but after owning my 2011 Camry for a while, and then getting our 2005 MDX and seeing the difference, I changed my tune. A hard TCC lock, especially if it keeps the engine loaded and spinning slow, is a quick buzz-kill for me. I like the energy the driver gets (psychologically) from a free-spinning engine. I don't like a transmission that keeps the engine idling around town all day long. That's not the way I drive manual transmissions, and that's not the way I prefer to have an automatic operate.

I liked how our Acura drives so much, I sold the Camry and bought another Honda product. The current Hondas are a little more aggressive than ours are in terms of TCC lock, but still not like the Camry was.

This is the challenge in programming an automatic transmission. Keep it restrained enough to put up good fuel economy numbers (for sales) and keep it flexible enough to appeal to the widest possible number of drivers. Another reason I like both sequential shift modes and paddle shifters. Even if the manufacturer puts some rubbish eco-minded progamming in, I can override that with the physical shifter(s).

Different drivers, different responses--I'm about the complete opposite of Hokie, I lug mine most of the time. I figure, what's the point of idle if they didn't expect you to use it?
lol.gif

No seriously, I often drive around 1,500rpm in my stickshifts, and it bugs me when an automatic can't be bothered to do likewise. Decades of driving with a clutch means the unlocked TC is a bit unnerving. [I'm also used to being able to pulse the throttle w/o sending the trans into fits, but that is user error.] I'm used to shifting when I need to, and vast majority of time, I don't need to.

Different drivers, different wants.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back