The best hand cleaner after mechanical work is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
powdered laundry detergent. I was sick of the [censored] we have at work ("Torx") being so ineffective that out of frustration when I got home I dipped my hands into a box of powdered laundry detergent just for the [censored] of it and washed them normally. It works amazingly well. Try it. Just don't let the wife catch you. I think I'll buy my own, but just the cheapest bottom-feeder brand.

And just to add to that... do you know what the best "pumice" type additive you can put with that product or for instance, dawn dish soap for a really good cleaning and odor removal is .... Coffee Grounds !! They work great and remove many nasty odors/stains/grime from skin with natural scrubbing and natural oils left behind for skin conditioning !!

Originally Posted By: Nayov
powdered laundry detergent. I was sick of the [censored] we have at work ("Torx") being so ineffective that out of frustration when I got home I dipped my hands into a box of powdered laundry detergent just for the [censored] of it and washed them normally. It works amazingly well. Try it. Just don't let the wife catch you. I think I'll buy my own, but just the cheapest bottom-feeder brand.

I prefer cheap shampoo... like the 97 cent bottles of gold colored VO5 at Wal-Mart.

What does shampoo do? It strips oil, without drying out the skin.

Perfect.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I prefer cheap shampoo... like the 97 cent bottles of gold colored VO5 at Wal-Mart.

What does shampoo do? It strips oil, without drying out the skin.

Perfect.

There used to be hand cleaner called Liquid Glove. You put it on your hands before working to keep the grease out of your pores. I'll bet the shampoo would work the same way.

Kresto for oil and grease
Cupran Special for oil based paints stains and lacquers.

Best hand cleaner , for dirt and especially grease, is vegetable oil (or Olive oil). Old shade tree trick. Just a small amount of oil in the palm and then rub rub rub. After about a minute use a small amount of dish soap and warm water. Hands clean and soft.

Salux cloth(cut in 3 pieces) should last awhile does wonders to soap really lathers it. I use coconut/olive/palm oil base soap...makes it easier with an oil base. You can use Irish Springs for example maybe 2 washes but the salux will makes the difference.

The Salux cleans down to the pores especially the hard to clean areas. Makes cleaning faster and easier.

I little motor oil to fill the skins pores and more after the work with paper towels to clean up followed by bar soap=my way for 40+ years

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Best hand cleaner , for dirt and especially grease, is vegetable oil (or Olive oil). Old shade tree trick. Just a small amount of oil in the palm and then rub rub rub. After about a minute use a small amount of dish soap and warm water. Hands clean and soft.

+ 1 - works especially well when dirt and oil has penetrated deep into the skin. And it's amazing how soft your hands feel when you're done.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The Gojo Orange Pumice is one of the better ones out there that I have used.

That's what I use too, seems to work well enough.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Rubber gloves - so you don't have the schmutz to clean off in the first place.

This. After using gloves, I'll never go back. It is so much easier to just take off the gloves if I have to go back in the house. No more scrubbing with soap, and they even offer a bit of protection for your hands in case a wrench slips. I've had scenarios where I only cut open the glove where otherwise I probably would have cut my hand.

I find cheap gloves work well enough for me. They disintegrate fast, sure; but I find I wind up removing anyhow--need a break, need to flip through the repair manual, need to chase the kids. If I was working for hours on end I'd use real gloves, but otherwise HF has some cheap ones, as does Walmart etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back