Toyota Taco - 6spd vs Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tacoma is on my list of cars I may purchase next. Much to my surprise, on the Tacoma forum the manual vs auto population appears to be split 50/50. I think the automatic was slightly more popular @ 51%. This was just taken from one of the Tacoma forum polls.

As a long time MT fan, I've always felt that automatics were the way to go for trucks, especially off-road. Many of the Taco guys disagree and feel the 6spd is the way to go. Some of them are also the "real men only drive manuals" type, which is silly but they are out there. LOL

So for a pickup like the Taco, any input on the 6spd manual vs the automatic in the 4.0L V6?

I'd test drive one. It might have a pretty good shifter for a truck. Don't be surprised if you cant get a manual with all but the lower trim models.

Originally Posted By: buster
The Tacoma is on my list of cars I may purchase next. Much to my surprise, on the Tacoma forum the manual vs auto population appears to be split 50/50. I think the automatic was slightly more popular @ 51%. This was just taken from one of the Tacoma forum polls.

As a long time MT fan, I've always felt that automatics were the way to go for trucks, especially off-road. Many of the Taco guys disagree and feel the 6spd is the way to go. Some of them are also the "real men only drive manuals" type, which is silly but they are out there. LOL

So for a pickup like the Taco, any input on the 6spd manual vs the automatic in the 4.0L V6?

I had a 2005 Tacoma with the 4.0L and AT. The AT was about the only thing on that truck that was worth a darn. My MPG was better than the MT guys reported as well.

MT is great for towing, and normal driving
MT less to fix, less $$$ usually

AT is much better for starting out when towing -- boat ramp or on hill

AT much better offroad torque converter lets you creep as slow as you want.

AT has additional complexity, may require additional cooling for HD useage.

AT = $$$$ repairs if needed.

At is nice off road. Have seen many people toast clutches off road. In a Toyota, I'd consider both equally reliable. Ford or Chrysler (both have made bad autos over the years), I'd go with the manual for reliability.

I'd drive both, see what you like. Personally, I prefer stick for many reasons.

There is a mod somewhere where you can, wit a switch and a relay, get 2LO. The guys towing I think came up with that. Nice under certain conditions.

Do you plan on offroading?

My only complaint with those Tacomas is the cab/bed configurations suck. Who wants a crew cab with a 5 foot bed? Looks so goofy.

When I was truck shopping in January I felt the 2.7/5 speed Access cab was the way to go in Tacoma for lighter duty stuff. If you have the need to tow then I would just opt for a base Tundra. v8 and that auto is pretty stout. The price for a base Tundra isn't much more and sometimes less than a tarted up 4.0 Tacoma.

All depends on what you are doing with the truck. Also, offroad with a manual isn't that bad. So many newer vehicles with a manual have hillhold assist these days. Weird on the street at first but offroading, it's a nice feature. My Jeep has it and I didn't get it until offroad on a sand dune made starting easy.

I had a manual S10 and really liked it (my Mustang GT is manual). I found that it really made it harder to sell. Most people just don't want a manual (unless its a Mustang GT).

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I had a manual S10 and really liked it (my Mustang GT is manual). I found that it really made it harder to sell. Most people just don't want a manual (unless its a Mustang GT).

I wouldn't buy a used Tacoma pickup unless it was a manual. Lots of people only want manuals too.

When I was shopping Tundra did seem a bit cheaper; rumor has it that the mpg isn't too dissimilar. But I could easily see how I would prefer a Taco in the city or off road.

My dad has an 07' FJ Cruiser which has the same powertrain as the Tacoma. It's the 6 speed manual and unless you get to about 4-5k rpms, it is pretty slow. Driving in the mountains unless you have a good run at 75-80 mph, downshifting to 5th doesn't do anything, downshifting to 4th revs it up and will get you moving in the hills. Other than that it's great, just not quick. My uncle has a Tacoma that's an automatic and is pretty quick, nice truck. Go for the AT. 6 speeds gets pretty old in traffic, but that's just me.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I've always liked Tacomas. I prefer that size of a truck and the TRD Off-Road model has a rear locking differential.

If your Gonna off road it, or City/Daily it, I'd auto it.
Adding a Cooler and keeping up with the fluid changes wouldnt be a bad idea either

For note, I unfortunately lost a lot of respect for Taco's after the frame rust thing, and this

The automatic's have temp sensors that you can read via OBDII. Supposedly mine has two, one is pan (or near it) and the other appears to be convertor outlet. I can't get the pan one to read for some reason; point is, you can monitor ATF temp if desired. Downside is, at least on mine, it has a thermostat of unknown temp. It won't send ATF to the cooler until it reaches a temp that it likes. Someday I oughta put in some temp sensors and "guess" where the thermostat opens--my guess, it's at a temp well above what you or I would care for. [There is a way to force it into bypass on the thermostat, which is used for trans flushing, which might help?] Anyhow, if you can display the ATF, you can always manually force a downshift if you don't like the ATF temp it is at (and if you're offroad, I guess you could take it as a sign that it's break time).

Get one with the tow package. They usually come with coolers. I don't know about Tacoma, but IIRC my Tundra, if not with tow package, did not have a cooler.

My father in law has a 1995.5 Tacoma with the 3.4L V-6 and 4-speed automatic transmission. Thing keeps going. Transmission is original. I don't know if it's ever been serviced. 225k miles and counting.

I'd buy a Tacoma in a minute if looking for a midsize pickup truck.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
My father in law has a 1995.5 Tacoma with the 3.4L V-6 and 4-speed automatic transmission. Thing keeps going. Transmission is original. I don't know if it's ever been serviced. 225k miles and counting.

For the most part, it's the same transmission that was used in the XJ Cherokee. They just don't die.

Toyota still uses it in the 2.7 I-4 Tacoma.

I really like the Tacoma! I just have no need for a small pickup, or any pickup, at the moment.

There is a local toyota that can't keep manual transmission Tacomas in stock. They order a bunch and sell them quickly ... in addition to the ones that are special ordered.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
For the most part, it's the same transmission that was used in the XJ Cherokee. They just don't die.

It is; it's the A340. Also used in vehicles such as the Lexus LS400, various Lexus SC models, older Supras (turbocharged and otherwise), the Jeeps, some 4Runners, etc. Very nice unit.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I'd buy a Tacoma in a minute if looking for a midsize pickup truck.

3.4L V6 - best engine ever. So reliable... if not for fluid changes, weld the hood shut.

Fluid changes and timing belts. Although IIRC it's a non-interference motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back