Looking for a new DA Polisher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gang,

I am in the market for a new DA polisher again. I just sold my Flex 3401 and plan to use the proceeds towards purchasing a new one that I can use 5.5" pads with.

Currently, these are the polishers that I have:

Rupes LHR 21ES BigFoot - I use it cutting and finishing with 6.5" and 7" pads
Rupes LHR 75E Mini BigFoot - I use this one with 3" foam pads for finishing headlights, cutting/finishing pillars + bumpers. I will soon be using this with sanding discs for sanding headlights and spot repairs.
Flex PE14 Rotary - I use this for polishing windshields, removing sand scratches during headlight restorations and removing orange peel. Some day I will feel comfortable using it on the compounding step of a full-vehicle correction, but that day has not arrived.

I have a lot of 5.5" pads and would like to have a good DA polisher than I can use them with. I think this next polisher will be the one that I reach for to do quick AIO or 1-step jobs. Note: I have used and am not a fan of the Rupes LHR 21ES/5" backing plate combination.

Right now, here are the two that I am looking at:

1) Rupes LHR 12E Duetto -

Pros: Larger throw (12mm), low NVH, great build quality
Cons: Price

2) Griots Garage

Pros: Price, higher power motor
Cons: Shorter stroke (8mm), lower build quality

Comparison between the two: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/pain...-polishers.html

Thoughts, guys?

Last edited:
As far as those pictures, there are no before pictures. How do we know both Buffers had the similar surfaces?? How do we know he kept the pressures similar on both Buffers??

I LOVE my 6" Griots Garage DA Buffer! No problems getting out deep scratches...

I see NO problems with Griots build quality, none.

My Griot's polisher is as well built as any electric power tool I've seen. Makita, Bosch, Dewalt and Porter-Cable are in my shop.

Critic...I've had a lot of polishers and polished a lot of cars. I currently have the latest GG polisher. Honestly, it has PLENTY of power, is well built, priced nicely, and has a great warranty. I dont think you can go wrong. The Rupes is nice, but very pricey. Go with the GG. I don't think you will be sorry!

isnt the rupes 2x+ as much $$$

For me it would come down to spending 300$ vs 140$

and I've seen the GG DA go on sale as well.

IMO the operator is more of a difference than the machine in this case.

Knowing you, the decision is simple. Buy the most expensive thing that is available You will NOT be happy with the cheaper thing.

Am I right or amiright?

Originally Posted By: Turk
As far as those pictures, there are no before pictures. How do we know both Buffers had the similar surfaces?? How do we know he kept the pressures similar on both Buffers??

I LOVE my 6" Griots Garage DA Buffer! No problems getting out deep scratches...

I see NO problems with Griots build quality, none.

From a distance, it looked like the defects were purposely instilled into the hood at the same time for testing purposes.

With that said, the amount of pressure needed to operate the Rupes and the Griots are a bit different. The larger stroke is definitely going to help with correction, but an 8mm vs 12mm stroke isn’t a lot of difference.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
My Griot's polisher is as well built as any electric power tool I've seen. Makita, Bosch, Dewalt and Porter-Cable are in my shop.

Thanks. The lifetime warranty is also fairly compelling.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Do Rupes and Flex have local service centers if something breaks?

They do not. Kevin Brown will handle the repairs for his customers, and PBMG will do some for theirs.

Originally Posted By: Rand
isnt the rupes 2x+ as much $$$

For me it would come down to spending 300$ vs 140$

and I've seen the GG DA go on sale as well.

IMO the operator is more of a difference than the machine in this case.

As usual, I do not mind paying more for a higher-quality product that has better NVH. I paid a fortune for my Rupes 21 but I’m very happy with it once I got past its steep learning curve.

The operator definitely has a major impact on the results, but all things being equal, the better tool will let you do the job more efficiently and in fewer steps.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Knowing you, the decision is simple. Buy the most expensive thing that is available You will NOT be happy with the cheaper thing.

Am I right or amiright?

lol.gif

Last edited:
I'd go for the GG machine since your car(s) aren't abused and in terrible condition. The other may be better if you were detailing for a living and trying to correct cars fast and get on to the next one.

Yet another vote for Griot's but with the optional longer & heavier cord. It will easily turn larger pads than you plan to use. It took the place of my beloved Cyclo which I never thought would happen.

Just another thought, the Griot's 3" polisher might be a good investment. Constantly switching polishers for other ones that essentially do the same thing seems kinda like running around in circles. But the mini polisher certainly would find its own uses that will greatly help your detailing.

Originally Posted By: qwertydude
Just another thought, the Griot's 3" polisher might be a good investment. Constantly switching polishers for other ones that essentially do the same thing seems kinda like running around in circles. But the mini polisher certainly would find its own uses that will greatly help your detailing.

I said in the original post that I already own a PE14 rotary and a 3" Rupes LHR75E mini polisher.

The Griots 3" is a terrible machine -- I've used one and it pretty much has no power.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

2) Griots Garage

The Griots 3" is a terrible machine -- I've used one and it pretty much has no power.

Did you use the Griots in the last two days and come to that conclusion? If not, why did you list it as an option in the first post?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zeus33

2) Griots Garage

Did you use the Griots in the last two days and come to that conclusion? If not, why did you list it as an option in the first post?

I should have been more specific -- there's a 6" and a 3" version of the Griots. I've used both. The 6" is great, but the 3" is terrible.

I should have been more specific -- there's a 6" and a 3" version of the Griots. I've used both. The 6" is great, but the 3" is terrible.

That makes a lot more sense! Thanks for the clarification.

TheCritic,

I just put the order for Groit's Garage 6" DA. So, unless you want to join the ranks of plebeian like me, you have to buy Rupes. I am the kind of guy who should have bought the Harbor Freight but decided to go ramen noodles for next month instead :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
TheCritic,

I just put the order for Groit's Garage 6" DA. So, unless you want to join the ranks of plebeian like me, you have to buy Rupes. I am the kind of guy who should have bought the Harbor Freight but decided to go ramen noodles for next month instead :)

I never disappoint you...
56.gif

I did purchase a Duetto from Kevin Brown from last week.

photo1 by thecritic89, on Flickr

It is a great machine - it is smoother (with the Rupes pads), noticeably quieter, and has better ergonomics than the Griots. The build quality is also a bit better, IMO.

The improved cut from the larger throw (12mm vs 8mm) will probably be hard to test, as there are so many variables which can affect the outcome. After all, this is 12mm vs 8mm throw, not 21mm vs 8mm (with the LHR21ES).

Regardless, I am EXTREMELY happy with my purchase and feel that this is the most versatile Rupes polisher that I have used. And no, I am not selling my other ones because there is a place for my 21 and 75E in EVERY detail.

I do think the value proposition of the Duetto is a bit weak; it is definitely not twice the machine...compared to a Griots. A good analogy is the Acura ILX vs Honda Civic....the ILX is definitely the better vehicle, but it's also hard to justify the extra cost. However, I am very happy with mine and have no issues recommending it to someone who is willing to spend the extra money for the support from Kevin Brown and the improvements that I previously mentioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back