Now the turn signal fuse is blowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been trying to improve the headlights on the '01 Olds Aurora 3.5L as some may have seen earlier threads. Well I finally got my hands on the factory service and wiring manuals and found that the passenger side headlight, which is noticeably dimmer than the driverside actually goes to ground in the truck! Well, figuring I'd just tap into the ground wire coming from the headlight and add a ground closer and I'd be in business.

Well it worked, noticeable increase in output and color temp, all bulbs worked correctly including low, high, parking and what not... Except turn signals/hazards now pop the fuse every time. D/C the ground wire and no issues! I'll have to get an image of the ground schematic of this circuit to show but can anybody figure why adding a good ground would cause this issue? FWIF, the ground circuit is basically treed into a common ground in the truck shared with a bunch of other lighting including the passenger side low and high beam, as well as the front and rear parking lamps and turn signals... Again I will try to post a pic of the schematic but any ideas on improving the grounding of the headlight bulb WITHOUT blowing the turn signal fuse?

Maybe the "ground" is actually through a side marker filament. They do this to make the side markers flash "opposite" the main turn signals.

Barring that you might have a dual purpose bulb (park/turn) with two filaments with one filament blown shorting to the other side.

Bought a silverado about 7 years ago that had a problem blowing bulbs. The guy just didn't want to keep replacing brake lights turning lights etc. Took it home and started replacing burned out bulbs and using dielectic grease on all the bulbs. Solved the blown bulb problem for a long time after that. Moisture was the enemy in this case.

Here is the schematic. The side markers do flash opposite, though...

55gzgj.jpg

Rustle up the schematic for the turn signal/ hazard/ parking light switch? IIRC there's a ground in one of those for when its switched off, current backflows.

eljfino is correct, show us a wiring diagram for the front turn signals. Disconnect your new ground wire and see if the front side markers blink with the turn signal. If so, I think this is happening, the side marker ground is connected to thr hot wire to the front turn signal filament to make the SM blink. Your new ground is shorting this wire. I've wired many SM to TS to make the SM blink and have seen this happen when the SM ground was still connected to ground. Let us know what you find.

I'll grab a pic of that schematic after breakfast, but yes the SM and TS do flash opposite and D/C the new ground wire (and replacing the blown fuse) does resolve the problem.

Originally Posted By: buck91
30dihee.jpg

t887bt.jpg

Thanks for the wiring diagrams. Someone with better eyes and a better printer than I have needs to look them over closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back