Ordering Conti Extreme Contact DWS for Protege5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like them on my 330Ci - I think they provide a good balance between decent performance/handling and wet weather handling.

Last edited:
I'll be looking at the DWS when I go to replace the tires on the Jetta in the Fall. They seem to be the perfect fit between performance & handling and all-weather capability. We don't really need a set of dedicated snow's on it as if the weather gets bad we take the Nitro 4X4 with winter tires, so a good all-season is what is needed for the Jetta.

It took a while for the order process. I went to Sears Tire and Auto and the manager said to go on-line and look for them. He even suggested if Sears.com couldn't get them to order from TireRack and have them shipped there.

I kept looking and kept getting the same status, not available. So I whacked the Chat Now or whatever the button was and immediate got an agent.

She looked and could get them.

Once I had the final price, I generated my eCertificates at Discover.com for $400 at Sears.

Seems her system crashed after the certificates went in. She tried to do the order over, but the eCertificates were marked as used. She said she would go talk to her manager and told me it would take a day to credit back the value of the eCertificates. I had to wait a day for them to be re-loaded. She called me the next day, ready to complete the order.

I should have the tires by the end of this week or early next.

If we get them on or before 6/4, I'll get them on pretty quickly. Otherwise, I need to wait until 6/12 as my on-call rotation starts.

So depending on how you look at it, I'm spending either $180 out of pocket, or $540 when you total the cost in cash back bonus and cash out of pocket for $615 in goods and services.

It appears these are the successor to the now discontinued ContiExtremeContacts that I have on my Mazda. I bought them because the tread looked like it would have enough bite in the winter through ice and snow. As we know, not all all-season's perform well in all four seasons, and usually fall short in the snow.

I can report after running these tires through three winters and 30,000 miles total, they are really good all-season tires. It takes a seriously slick road to activate the ABS when braking. Wet performance is very good as well, and they resist hydroplaning.

If I had any beefs it would be that they are a little louder than I would prefer, which I attribute to the aggressive tread pattern that allows the exceptional winter performance. A trade-off I'm willing to accept. Tread wear isn't great either- I figure I'll get about 40,000 miles out of them. But, I've never gotten great mileage out of any sets of tires even though I rotate and maintain air pressure regularly, so these are pretty much par for the course for me.

Again, these are the predecessors to the ContiExtreme DWS. I hope you check in with your review of the newer DWSs, as I will strongly consider them at replacement time. Very happy with my current Continentals.

I had them put on yesterday. No drama. Dropped the car off. oilBabe wanted to hit up a local winery, so we drove out about a half hour and enjoyed a bottle of wine and some early dinner while they put the tires on the P5.

I didn't realize how bad my old tires had gotten. Immediately, the car was quieter and the pull to the left, which I had suspected was a tire was rectified.

We'll see how these tires do over the next year or two. According to the records from the previous owner, we got 43-44k out of the Dunlop SP 5000 M's so I expect similar out of these, which is about two years of driving for me.

We don't get the snows other get, so I suspect unless these are horrible compared to the SP 5K's in the snow, that they will do for what I do regarding winter driving.

I could pick up a set of Mazda 3 15" wheels which will fit and clear the rotors and have winter tires mounted should these prove not to work well in the snow.

Still pleased. Quieter than the SP5000 series Dunlops they replaced. Not saying much as they were well worn and apparently one was causing a pull.

Dry grip seems similar, my 55-60MPH charge through some S-curves rated at 25-30MPH is without drama, so that decidedly non-scientific anecdote has me convinced.

Still little or no rain, so no news on wet handling. But since the others were about 1mm from the wear bars if not there in places, wet grip has to be better.

Just a follow up after a few months.

Issac brought a rainy holiday weekend, combined with several call outs that have been timed to coincide with rain showers, I've logged a few hundred miles in heavy rain.

I must say that these are among the best tires I've driven in the wet when new. I've also drive the Firestone SZ50EPs which I think were the very best at the time for an UHP tire, and these compare favorably.

No drama, other than folks who felt the need to drive 60ft/hr in some of the heaviest rain. No hydroplaning and no white-knuckle moments.

I realize that part of this is the contrast effect when compared to the well worn Dunlop SP5000m's that came off the car back in June.

However, after just under 4000 miles on these since they were installed on 6/9, they performed well in the rain.

Color me impressed.

A follow up after we've had some real snow yesterday.

We just got 4-6" of snow. The first real substantial snow we've had this winter. (Had a few 1-2" events, but no drama.)

No complaints. The P5 has no drivers aids. No ABS, no TCS, no EIEIO or anything and yet it was able to navigate the snows before the plows came out.

If I lived in the woods and got more snow, I'd probably want a dedicated AWD vehicle with dedicated winter tires. But for what I see, the occasional snow event like this combined with urban living and they do the job.

The S is still visible at just under 130K miles on the ticker. So that is about 15K miles on these tires and they still do the job in moderate snow.

Of course, at this rate, the question becomes, will they still do the same this fall when they have closer to 35K miles on them. I may be looking at four steelies and some dedicated winter tires as they will likely be summer only tires by then. (I have two 16" steelies now, so I need two more for this car!)

But that's not the fault of the tire, it's my usage pattern combined with when I needed to purchase these.

After two years, these are coming to the end of their life.

Installed on 6/9 at 114,700 miles and today with 156,300 miles on the odometer, I ordered some Pirelli P7's to replace them.

The W is finally wearing off. I would have pushed them a bit longer, but two of them have nails in them, one has a bulge in the sidewall from a pothole and is now sitting in the garage with another full sized spare installed until the P7's come in. By the time I spend money to have one nail repaired, the other two are not repairable, I could pay for much of the mounting and balancing. Besides, right now there is $70 off the purchase of 4 Pirelli tires at Sam's Club, so it's a no-brainer.

So about 42K miles on tires warrantied for 50K. Not worth spending the extra cash trying to get another 10-12K miles out of the tires.

My only complaint, and not really a valid one, is that these only last about 50K miles. I'm hoping for at least one more year out of the P7's

Wife has about 26K miles on DWS - they still have decent amount of tread left, but they probably won't make it anywhere near 50K miles. That in itself isn't a problem for me. I am generally happy if I get 30K miles out of a set of tires, IF they are good tires.

After a number of years with the DWS now, I don't think they are all that great. I am somewhat disappointed with their winter/snow performance. Would not buy them again.

I like the dws tires. They are good in the snow and handle very well. This winter the wife must of hit a pothole because she came home with a broken rim but the tire never blew out. Only got about 10 thousand miles on them so far but they seem like a really good tire.

They make a good 3 season tire if you get anything more than a dusting of snow.

This winter provided many snow driving events, even in downstate Illinoistan as you say, and I once got "stuck" in a partially cleared parking lot.

If we keep getting these sorts of winters, I'll need to invest in some more steelies and get dedicated winter tires.

But let's see how the P7's work before I go that route.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Wife has about 26K miles on DWS - they still have decent amount of tread left, but they probably won't make it anywhere near 50K miles. That in itself isn't a problem for me. I am generally happy if I get 30K miles out of a set of tires, IF they are good tires.

After a number of years with the DWS now, I don't think they are all that great. I am somewhat disappointed with their winter/snow performance. Would not buy them again.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Agreed.

Based on some initial raving reviews I read, I had some expectations that the DWS could work as a 4 season tire, but it just doesn't. We spend decent amount of time in western Michigan, and the amount of snow that falls here is huge.

Quote:

If we keep getting these sorts of winters, I'll need to invest in some more steelies and get dedicated winter tires.

Yup. That is the proper way to do it. I'll be getting dedicated winter wheels/tires for the wife's car this year.

They're a very good 3-season tire that will get one home to swap on snow tires. For places that don't see a lot or any snow, they'd make a very good 4-season tire. The set on the wife's Fit won't make treadwear warranty either. But, considering her driving is decidedly more aggressive than mine, they're a great match for the lightweight Fit and her driving style.

I'd purchase another set if the price were right. Although if Michelin's Pilot Sport AS 3 were priced similarly in the Mugen wheel's OEM 205/50-16 size, I'd give the PS AS 3's a shot.

I was disappointed with the DWS on the E430 after 8-10k miles. It was good for the first 5-6k miles when the road was dry, when we had rain in So Cal in winter it didn't track very well on highway at speed above 75-80 MPH. The other tire before it was Falken FK452 was much better on wet road. The Kumho 4X is much better on wet highway too.

The DWS didn't perform very well on dry surface at speed above 90-100 MPH either. The E430 was extremely stable at speed well over 100 MPH with other tires.

I have them on VW Tiguan for summer use (I use Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 for winter). Excellent tire!
Good comfort, very good in wet. Never tried them in snow since I like to have dedicated winter tire for cold, snowy, icy days.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I was disappointed with the DWS on the E430 after 8-10k miles. It was good for the first 5-6k miles when the road was dry, when we had rain in So Cal in winter it didn't track very well on highway at speed above 75-80 MPH. The other tire before it was Falken FK452 was much better on wet road. The Kumho 4X is much better on wet highway too.

The DWS didn't perform very well on dry surface at speed above 90-100 MPH either. The E430 was extremely stable at speed well over 100 MPH with other tires.

DWS are not made for E430, by my opinion.
Considering where you live, I would go with dedicated summer tire.
When I lived in San Diego, i planned to use al year around on my VW CC Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
There is no all season tire that can match performance of dedicated summer tire on dry roads as long as temperature is above 60 degrees. In Colorado, I still use those tires for summer and winter tires for cold, snowy days.
I use DWS on Tiguan, but Tiguan is not that aggressive as CC is.

Last edited:
I think there are very few tires up to 80 MPH in the rain, especially in SoCal. I doubt the problem is rain as much as it's the ball bearing effect when the rare rains bead up on the oil coated roads.

Rain, when it happens, is probably a more severe event due to the infrequency.

More frequent rains wash off the oil dropped by cars. Infrequent rains probably lube it up like a trombone slide. A little water makes for billions of liquid ball bearings. Let the traffic fun begin.

Not many choices in this size. Is that tire V rated, because that is what Mazda spec'ed.

195-50-16 size
load and speed 83V

I considered some choices in the 195-55-16 set, but ultimately went with what I thought was best in Mazda's recommended size.

I had the V-rated DWS on my wife's RDX and I was very very disappointed in these tires. They wore quickly, performed poorly in any type of snow, and got very noisy.

I hope you have better luck, as most people do seem to like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back