Recommendation for a good "bang for the buck" tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the tiger paw tourings on wife's HHR. They're wearing well and have enough traction. I run snows in winter though. Pretty sure these are the walmart version too, though they came with the car.

Originally Posted By: Rand
which firestone precision touring where they? isnt there 2 versions?

Id go for the altimax RT43, its as different from the altimax hp as you can get .. and a great value.

That's a good question. Now that you ask that, I remember seeing two different versions when shopping for the FR710s.

THIS is the one I'm talking about.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I am looking to replace the tires on my project Malibu- currently General Ultimax (AltiMax?) in 215/60/15s. They are really noisy going down the road.

That's incredible, because having the exact same tire (different car), they are by far the most quite tire I've ever bought. However, they are not know for long wear.
Originally Posted By: Rand
He has the altimax hp.. is that what you had?

Yes, as Rand pointed out, I have the Altimax HP. I had only briefly glanced at the tire and was going off of memory. Once I had browsed through the tire rack website and came across it, I posted up the link to the actual tire I have.

The prices may have gone up a little, and there may be some better options. But at one time the General Altimax HP was truly a "poor man's Michelin MXV4", if you didn't mind a lesser service life of 30-35k max. I would consider the same tire if you are past that mileage and the price is right. Before they go noisy and rough, they are a velvety quiet ride.

Michelins are usually great and worth the premium in my experience. But the venerable MXV4 that I would normally recommend is discontinued (creating a future spares issue) and the replacement model is very expensive and unproven. Probably not what you want on a "project" car anyway.

Perhaps also a little too expensive, and you just missed the $80 rebate which made for a great deal, but the Conti PureContact Eco is a really good sporty GT tire at the price. Really a fun handling set of rubber. Not as cushy as the Michelin or Altimax, though.

I know this is not rational in 2014, but I will still to this day run from Firestones like the black death because of the 500. Yeah, I know, it's been 40 years.

I'd go after another set of Altimax HPs on that project.

To go another direction, if you are a Sam's Club member, consider the BFG Touring T/A. Been around forever, seems to be a good balance of wet/dry and even light snow traction. IIRC, they have a 70K mile treadware (warranty?)

Can get them installed for $15/tire with road hazard and free rotation.

I believe they have variants in H and V speed ratings if you need that sort of thing.

I have had 2 sets of the sams BFGs on a malibu. I will not get another. The first set dried and cracked early, so I got a prorated credit towards the second set...which after 3 years is starting to crack again. Very few miles on this set, tread still great.

On a different vehicle, dried, cracked after just 3 years...tread almost shot (wore unevenly) at 31k miles. Replaced with michelin defender.

Consequently I always look at General Altimax as a replacement, but havent been able to easily find them when I needed tires.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
I have had 2 sets of the sams BFGs on a malibu. I will not get another. The first set dried and cracked early, so I got a prorated credit towards the second set...which after 3 years is starting to crack again. Very few miles on this set, tread still great.

On a different vehicle, dried, cracked after just 3 years...tread almost shot (wore unevenly) at 31k miles. Replaced with michelin defender.

Consequently I always look at General Altimax as a replacement, but havent been able to easily find them when I needed tires.
I had the BFGs wear uneven on a car I had also, they had good winter traction though. I drove through so much snow one day to get into work to plow, the guys with 4x4s didn't come in until the roads were plowed.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Oddly, the best bang-for-the-buck I've found has been in the most expensive tires I've tried. Never had that experience with any other product.

In 215/60/15, I'd look at the Michelin Primacy MXV4.

I totally agree with you statement.
Had Kumho, Hankook, but always got most out of Michelin, Bridgestone and Continetal.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
What is the general consensus on the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring? I've been seeing these tires an awful lot around here.

Tiger Paw Touring

Uniroyal is Cheap Chinese garbage

If you can afford Michelin, get the Primacy MXV4. If you can't, go for the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.

Unfortunately, Michelin's new Premier doesn't seem to be available in your size.

I had horrible experience with Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.
It could be due to potent suspension and brakes on VW CC, but I hit 9,000 miles when 3 out of 4 tires could not be balanced anymore.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I won't be going with BFG again. I have them on our Elantra and they seem to ride rough. Wear seems okay, but they are just harsh on the car. I've driven other Elantras of that vintage and they ride much better. I've also seen the cracking rubber that others have talked about.

Michelins are out, as they're a bit high priced.

I'm still kind of stuck on the Firestone and that Altimax RT43. Gahh.. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the responses guys!

I won't be going with BFG again. I have them on our Elantra and they seem to ride rough. Wear seems okay, but they are just harsh on the car. I've driven other Elantras of that vintage and they ride much better. I've also seen the cracking rubber that others have talked about.

Michelins are out, as they're a bit high priced.

I'm still kind of stuck on the Firestone and that Altimax RT43. Gahh.. Decisions, decisions...

Get Continental DWS if they are manufacturing them in that dimension.

I definitely would choose the General over the FR710. The 710 is an adequate tire, but that's it. It's only OK. I've had them on two vehicles. They weren't impressive on our Nissan. They've been fine on the Beetle, but nothing spectacular.

I haven't personally owned the generals, but they seem to be getting pretty good reviews and they're a much newer design than the FR710.

stephen, I was actually referring to the Firestone Precision Touring instead of the FR710- but only because I didn't see the FR710 listed in my size.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

It could be due to potent suspension and brakes on VW CC, but I hit 9,000 miles when 3 out of 4 tires could not be balanced anymore.

Really? My suspension on my Passat is more potent, with Eibach Pro.Kit springs, Bilstein B8 (Sport) and H&R 24mm RSB.

They held up just fine. My only complaint about them is wet weather grip.

I can't comment about snow, since I use dedicated winter tires/wheels

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Really? My suspension on my Passat is more potent, with Eibach Pro.Kit springs, Bilstein B8 (Sport) and H&R 24mm RSB.

I do have EBC Red Stuff on all 4 wheels, but still by my opinion horrible tire.
Why would you have that tire in summer if you drive dedicated winter tire?
I got Michelin Pilot Super Sport after Kumho's, and it is like night and day!
And true, wet grip is bad on Kumho's.

Every tire has at least one downside:

- Construction quality (holding air, staying in balance, not degrading)
- Ride quality
- Noise
- Treadwear
- Dry traction
- Wet traction
- Rolling resistance
- On-center feel
- Continued performance from brand new down to the wear bars

All of the above are crucial to how safe and/or tolerable the car is to drive.

More expensive tires have fewer and/or less severe disadvantages. Less expensive tires often have at least one Achilles heel -- they might be good overall, but there's that one thing (or more) about them that is just awful.

This isn't like a car, where you have to pay thousands of dollars for a small advantage in performance or comfort. The difference between the least expensive and the most expensive tire in any given class seems like a big deal up front, but when you spread it out over months or years it's really not that big a deal. Meanwhile, what you get for that money can mean the difference between a decent car and a great one -- or it could even save your life and someone else's. I've never seen a case in which it wasn't worth it.

There are exceptions, of course. Some tires are just overpriced, like the stockers for my car. But I only say they're overpriced because I can get Michelins (which, as I understand, are comprehensively better) for a tad less money.

There are plenty of reasons not to go with a first-tier manufacturer for your car, your fridge, your TV, or your home stereo. The only reason not to go with tier 1 for tires is if you constantly blow them out before they reach middle age.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

I do have EBC Red Stuff on all 4 wheels, but still by my opinion horrible tire.
Why would you have that tire in summer if you drive dedicated winter tire?
I got Michelin Pilot Super Sport after Kumho's, and it is like night and day!
And true, wet grip is bad on Kumho's.

Because of the amount of miles I drive annually, I don't feel like buying new summer tires every year.

So, I rather have something that lasts at least 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back