What was Ford thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I know that it is water under the bridge. I've driven tons of vintage Chevrolets as my daily driver, but not much in the line of vintage Fords (1950's and 60's). One thing that always perplexed me was the ignition switch placed to the left side of the steering wheel on the dash in many older Ford vehicles. Very awkward. Was Ford just trying to be diffent?

The reason, as I recall, was that a Ford executive (might have even been one of THE Fords) was driving with a son or grandson in the car when the child reached over and turned off the ignition. Of course, back then, seat belts and the like weren't used making this possible.

So a decision was made to move the ignition switch to the left of the steering column, keeping it out of reach of little hands. This arrangement survived for a number of years before Ford decided to follow the crowd.

Last edited:
Edsel Ford was probably left-handed...
wink.gif

Many trucks (think actual trucks people, not pickups) have always had keys on left.
Most if not all newer semis have keys on the left.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The '69 Ford LTD has the radio on the left side too.

That was MY car back in high school! Don't even think about trying to install an aftermarket radio in that same slot.
As far as the left-handed ignition switch, once you get used to it, you can use both hands as you throw the stick-shift lever in neutral a split-second before you hit the ignition switch.
It saves you time. :)

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Porsche's have them on the left to allow for faster starting in a Le Mans style start.

Maybe they were using the GT40 lemans car ignition in the Ford trucks. I think its a good marketing technique to get intellengent French architects at poets to get away from Bugatti, Delahaye, and Talbot, and buy into the F150 scene
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: otis24
OK, I know that it is water under the bridge. I've driven tons of vintage Chevrolets as my daily driver, but not much in the line of vintage Fords (1950's and 60's). One thing that always perplexed me was the ignition switch placed to the left side of the steering wheel on the dash in many older Ford vehicles. Very awkward. Was Ford just trying to be diffent?

What's awkward about it? I'm as right handed as can be and it's NOT a big deal.

I won't pick on certain GM V8s where the spark plugs are easier to R&R from below the car...
56.gif

Kevin

My mom's 1981 dodge Omni had the HVAC controls left of the driver.

Is the driver captain of the ship or isn't he?
laugh.gif

My first truck was a 1958 Chevy half ton and had the "ignition switch" on the floorboard next to the gas pedal. The key was on the dash to the right of the steering column, turn that to the "on" position then step on the pedal with your heal on the gas pedal and she'd fire right up.

My wife's first car was a 1958 Buick and the "pedal" ignition switch was beneath the gas pedal. To start the car, you pressed the gas pedal to the floor which then started the motor at full throttle. No "heal-toe" maneuver was necessary, you just had to let off the gas real quick. You had to be careful if you "floored it" while driving as it would engage the starter.

thats to counter act the automatic shifter.on many old fords you must hold the shifter up into park while turning the key. the same guy designed the 260/289/302 lower thermostat bolt.

The car I built from the ground up, I intentionally put the ignition switch on the left side. It makes it much easier to start or stop the engine standing outside the car, or being able to bump the starter when working on it. Also installed a emergency engine kill switch on the console the driver or passenger can hit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
The reason, as I recall, was that a Ford executive (might have even been one of THE Fords) was driving with a son or grandson in the car when the child reached over and turned off the ignition. Of course, back then, seat belts and the like weren't used making this possible.

So a decision was made to move the ignition switch to the left of the steering column, keeping it out of reach of little hands. This arrangement survived for a number of years before Ford decided to follow the crowd.

GM one-up'd Ford on that with their now recalled self-turning switch ....
12.gif

My '57 Ford had a hood that opened the wrong way too.

Our old International trucks all have the ignition switch on the dash to the left of the steering column. Now that I think about it, our 99 and 77 Ford semi tractors have them there as well.

My '49 Plymouth had the ignition key on the left also.

Things just used to be a lot less standardized than they became in the 60s and 70s. And now with pushbutton start, keyless start, etc. things are becoming less standardized again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back