Old Chevy sitting since October; when to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I parked the Chevelle in the garage last October and pulled the battery. I put less than 500 miles on this car each summer. Hoping to soon fire it up since the weather is starting to come around. Is it best to warm the oil before changing or would it be best to drain the oil out before starting it for the season?

And also any oil recommendations? It is the original 396 I had rebuilt about 7 years ago. I have been running conventional 10-40 weight oil in it since day one but wanted opinions if something else might be better. Been using Wix filters. Thanks.

I'd get it nice and warm and then change the oil. For that car I would use Rotella T 10w30 conventional. My buddy's dad builds old Chevys and its all he uses. He buys it in 5 gallon buckets but they sell it in gallons at Tractor Supply for a good price.

Don't cold start it with new oil, it will be dry as it fills the filter!!!

I'd give it another summer, truthfully, then do every other fall from then on out.

I'd go with cheap 15w40, any flavor.

Last oil change was July 2012. So best suggestion is to fire it up, warm the old oil and then do the change. Still have some Quaker State 10w40 so will most likely stick with that for this oci.

Firstly, oil doesn't deteriorate just sitting in the pan.
With only 500 miles on it it's hardly used, the last thing you need to do is change it.

That said, I doubt you need to use a heavy 10W-40 unless you've got oil pressure issues. A 5W-30 such as QS Defy would be more appropriate for an engine in good nick.

Yes Wix are great oil filters. If you're only putting 500 miles on the old car, change the filter and oil every 4-5 years.

I would not change the oil since it only has 500 miles on it. Time of it sitting is all but irrelevent here.

If you do decide to to it, I would drain cold on a warm day. Just an opinion though.

Did he say 5W-30 in a vintage 396 Chevy ?
33.gif

I run 10W-40 in the 396 that is in my 70 Monte Carlo. I tried 10W-30 in it when I first got it back from being rebuilt but I wasn't happy with the oil pressure so went back to the 10W-40 that I had used before.

Wayne

I change the oil in my small block Chevy drag car every other year. I've used 5W30 Mobil 1 but most recently have used SOPUS GrpIII's in the same 5W30 flavor. That's with a solid lifter cam and shifting at 6,000 RPM. I also use 5W30 in my off road toys with "vintage" AMC engines.

My brother runs nothing but Mobil 1 5W30 in his '74 Omega drag car. That thing is a tire shredder. He ended up changing cams years ago and the old cam was in perfect shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back